The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Grab those small lenses before Nikon enters the fray

RichA

Nikon owners will be so happy they have a camera that can adapt different lenses (unlike their current DSLRs) that I figure they'll go binging on the c-mount and other lenses out there if Nikon releases that camera they just patented. Buy 'em now, while the prices are...reasonable.

PeterB666

those vintage c mounts are already out of my price range...lol
Absolutely stupid prices. I agree, it is already too late.

Old Nikkors are currently good value, but I would expect that like Olympus OM lenses, anything popular and a little less common will go through the roof.

85mm f/2 and f/1.8 lenses, and faster 24 and 28mm lenses and stuff like the GN Nikkor 45mm f2.8 pancake which was a shocker of a lens will be selling for :ROTFL:

Brian Mosley

If someone can bring a fast 11mm and 42mm prime lens to native m4/3rds... of the optical quality of the Lumix 20mm f1.7 then you can keep the legacy lenses (sorry for heresy) because I prefer having AF and the compact, lightweight native m4/3rds format.

Cheers

Brian

pellicle

If someone can bring a fast 11mm and 42mm prime lens to native m4/3rds... of the optical quality of the Lumix 20mm f1.7 then you can keep the legacy lenses
:thumbup:
:salute:

exactly ... I woudn't even mind if it was fully manual focus and just had aperture control ... especially if its cheap

heck, I reckon if they made a manual focus version (activating the zoom assist) with just aperture control and priced them under $200 they would sell more than mackers sells pancakes

PS: if Olympus can price their 35mm f3.5 4/3 macro lens and their 25mm pancake both for under US$200 so just what is it that makes the panasonic 20mm so expensive?

greed comes to mind ... perhaps I'm wayyyy to cynical

Last edited:
V

Vivek

PS: if Olympus can price their 35mm f3.5 4/3 macro lens and their 25mm pancake both for under US$200 so just what is it that makes the panasonic 20mm so expensive?

greed comes to mind ... perhaps I'm wayyyy to cynical
The glass is fine- to my taste too fine.

Had they made this in manual focus only version (with a real manual aperture), it would have been twice the worth of its market price.

The Pana 20/1.7 fluoresces under UV (unlike the Olympus lenses). This would go mostly unnoticed by most users under most circumstances but for scenes involving lights that would cause some weird colored ghosting.

Use of fluorescent glass in lenses (i thought) was a thing of the past. Apparently not.

pellicle

Hi

The Pana 20/1.7 fluoresces under UV (unlike the Olympus lenses)
Use of fluorescent glass in lenses (i thought) was a thing of the past. Apparently not.
interesting ... however I'm not sure if this means they chose it for some exotic properties of refractive index or because its cheap ...

V

Vivek

Hi

interesting ... however I'm not sure if this means they chose it for some exotic properties of refractive index or because its cheap ...

The earlier, I suspect.

Still, in the end, it isn't a good thing to produce a fluorescent lens.

pellicle

just found this K-PSFn214

We, SUMITA OPTICAL GLASS, INC., participated in this Optifab for the first time, introducing glass materials for precision molding, aspheric lenses and LUMILASS(fluorescent glass). Especially, K-PSFn214, recent developed/industrialized high index material, came under the spotlight, showing the difference of thickness with the same focal length in conventional optical glass, K-BK7.
hmmmm I wonder if that's helped bring down the production costs too? I read Hoya make filters to "balance daylight" using this sort of glass

thanks for bringing this point out :)