The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A superfast Tele on the G1

Some time ago I had bought a 75mm/1.3 Kilfitt Zoomar that I had never been able to put to good use before. It comes in a Leica Screw Mount and attaches easily to the G1 via a LSM->m4/3 adapter, focusing from infinity down to approx. 30cm. It covers the whole 4/3 frame with no noticeable vignetting. DOF fully open is of course minimal. Some shots on a walk on a wintry day. Contrast is quite good and the details it can provide are fabulous.

The beauty and the beast

bensonga

Very nice results!

I'll have to try my non-AI Nikkor 180mm f2.8 on my G1....not quite "super fast", but reasonably fast for that vintage lens.

Gary

N

noirist

Very nice! I'd love to have such a fast telephoto lens for my GH1.

slau

What are the weird color (blue and yellow) on your 5th image (pear, apple?)? Are they CA? What kind of aperture did you use to take that shot?

Do you find such a heavy lens balance well on the G1? I am hesitate to use heavy lenses that are without lens collar on my G1/GH1, as the camera body is so light and the lens mount may not built to take such stress on regular usage.

Thanks.

What are the weird color (blue and yellow) on your 5th image (pear, apple?)? Are they CA? What kind of aperture did you use to take that shot?
That shot was taken at f/1.3, fully open, hand held, focusing on the rightmost apple. At that aperture, DOF is very shallow and most other objects are OOF. Also, it cannot be excluded that I may have moved slightly between focusing and shutter release. Finally, the scene was backlit, about the most demanding conditions for testing a lens.

Do you find such a heavy lens balance well on the G1? I am hesitate to use heavy lenses that are without lens collar on my G1/GH1, as the camera body is so light and the lens mount may not built to take such stress on regular usage.
The max. recommended lens weight for the G1 is 1000g (1 kg). This Zoomatar weighs 560g including the built-in sun shade and the mount adapter and it did not feel uncomfortable to handle. There are several threads in the forum with tips on how to best use heavy lenses on the G1.

Cheers
Peter

Last edited:

kds315

The color effects in image 5 is lateral chromatic aberration (LCA), which is very hard to correct at such high speed lens designs.

Astonishingly good Peter, I would have expected a sharp, but much less contrasty image (from experience with other fast lesnbes of that maker)

slau

The max. recommended lens weight for the G1 is 1000g (1 kg).
Cheers
Peter

Thank you, Peter. Where did you find the information regarding the max weight of lens for G1? I was thinking about to try my Canon 85f1.2, which weights over 1Kg. As the lens is so 'front heavy', I am more concern about the torque on the lens mount instead of just weight.

Jonas

Where did you find the information regarding the max weight of lens for G1? I was thinking about to try my Canon 85f1.2, which weights over 1Kg. As the lens is so 'front heavy', I am more concern about the torque on the lens mount instead of just weight.
The 1kg max limit comes from Panasonic. I think you should consider it as a guide line only. A front heavy lens weighting a kg is probably too much in the long run.

slau

At that point, you simply support the lens instead! :)

Cheers,
That was why I have been using only lens with lens collar on my G1/GH1. So far, I like the 70-200f2.8IS with my G1 for indoor shooting wide open. Unfortunately a tripod is needed to support the lens/body as the IS does not work with the Panasonic body, and to take the stress off the lens mount. I cannot shoot handheld with the long end of the zoom under indoor ligthing.

slau

The 1kg max limit comes from Panasonic. I think you should consider it as a guide line only. A front heavy lens weighting a kg is probably too much in the long run.
Thank you Jonas. I did a search in my user manual and could not find the max wieght guideline/recommendation. Would you happen to have a link handy or point me to the right direction?

Jonas

Thank you Jonas. I did a search in my user manual and could not find the max wieght guideline/recommendation. Would you happen to have a link handy or point me to the right direction?
I'm sorry Stephen, I don't have a link. It is somewhere at the Panasonic µ4/3 support site. It's like a year ago I read it and the only reason remembering it is that it is such a nice round number.

Jonas

+1

I have the same support since a couple of years. Simple, cheap and working. In theory I admire the Arca and RRS and... stuff, but in real life I have the Manfrotto QR plate shown in Peter's image mounted to the camera all the time, and a Manfrotto ball head to match of course. That way it is super easy to sometimes mount the 293 support to the tripod and then the camera on the top.

I see you use the velcro strap Peter. I haven't found it particularly useful. Maybe if you carry around the tripod with the whole setup mounted?

regards,

Jonas

I see you use the velcro strap Peter. I haven't found it particularly useful. Maybe if you carry around the tripod with the whole setup mounted?
Jonas,

It is useful mainly for vertical shots. Without it, the weight of the lens would not be supported. I also use the camera+lens+support hand held and like this I can carry the setup face (lens) down. It makes it is much easier to walk around carrying the assembly with one hand.

Fountain in Nyon - Kinoptik Tegea 9.8mm/1.8 on Panasonic G1 with Manfrotto 293 - hand held

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited: