The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

L PLates For GF1--Who Has One?

wjlapier

Who bought an L Plate for their GF1? Which one and how is does it fit? I'm considering one, and from the photos from either Kirk or RRS I can't tell how flush they are to the front and rear of the camera. Anyone? Pics if you have the RRS version?

Bill

Terry

I have one from RRS. I honestly haven't used it yet as it arrived right in the middle of my move from one apartment to another and I got a bit busy. My GF1 was used as the model for the RRS plate. I will be back in SF on Tuesday night. Can probably post pics on Wednesday.

wjlapier

I have one from RRS. I honestly haven't used it yet as it arrived right in the middle of my move from one apartment to another and I got a bit busy. My GF1 was used as the model for the RRS plate. I will be back in SF on Tuesday night. Can probably post pics on Wednesday.
Thank-you Terry. LMK how flush the L-Plate is to the front and rear of the camera.

R

rachp

I don't have an Lplate or a GF-1 but I do have an Archatec regular plate on the GH-1. It is an excellent fit and allows access to the battery/SDcard. I don't know if they make an L but you may check with them.

bradhusick

The RRS plate extends in front parallel to the front edge of the lens mount, and in the rear sticks out 1/16 inch beyond the LCD screen.

Teski

I have the RRS plate...Just arrived last week during the Holidays so I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet.

bradhusick

I have always preferred the RRS plates over the Kirk plates. There seems to be more thought in the design of the RRS plates, IMHO.

toobacat

I have always preferred the RRS plates over the Kirk plates. There seems to be more thought in the design of the RRS plates, IMHO.
I like RRS products too, it's just that these plates become obsolete so quickly and the Kirk L Plate is $25 cheaper.

Terry

Warning - There is a problem with the RRS bracket and the cable release in the portrait position. The door when open sticks out a little too far. If you have a shallow clamp you can destroy the door. I am going to send them an email.

RonSmith

I have the Kirk L-Plate. It seems to fit very nicely, but can't compare it to the RRS plate. I will try to post some pictures when I have a chance.

kdphotography

Warning - There is a problem with the RRS bracket and the cable release in the portrait position. The door when open sticks out a little too far. If you have a shallow clamp you can destroy the door. I am going to send them an email.
Hi Terry,

I bet that a spacer block would solve the problem. I use this spacer block with an L-bracket on my Phase 645AF, which allows me to use the electromagnetic cable release when in portrait orientation on the tripod.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/LBA-1_USB-AC_Spacer_Block.html

All these add-ons probably ruin the nice lines of the GF1!

I'd be curious to know if the Kirk L bracket version for the GF1 has the same problem (probably).....

DHart

Word directly from Kirk to me via e-mail is that when using their L-plate with the GF1, use of the cable release is not possible - presumably because the door won't open far enough OR there isn't enough room for the cable to exit between the bracket and the body. They made no mention of the use of a spacer.

For myself, for now anyway - I'm going to use my modified G9 base plate to connect to the ball head and drop the ball into the side slot for verticals... we'll see how it goes. (I like to do a lot of HDRs, so using the cable is important.)

Diane B

Likely my solution also, but look over in the thread started by Jonas about tripod, head, strap, etc. Godfrey has given a link to a universal L--and I've asked the question if one needs to use a plate and then clamp the L to that plate--for the times one needs/wants an L. I'm not sure if that will be something I will do--but it may allow for room for the cable release (important to me also) and maybe even the tilt screen on the G1--or not LOL.

Diane

Word directly from Kirk to me via e-mail is that when using their L-plate with the GF1, use of the cable release is not possible - presumably because the door won't open far enough OR there isn't enough room for the cable to exit between the bracket and the body. They made no mention of the use of a spacer.

For myself, for now anyway - I'm going to use my modified G9 base plate to connect to the ball head and drop the ball into the side slot for verticals... we'll see how it goes. (I like to do a lot of HDRs, so using the cable is important.)

DHart

Godfrey... thanks for the link. That's a one heck of a piece of equipment and priced accordingly.

For my little GF1 I'm going to try limping along with dropping the ball into the slot for verts until I reach a point (if I do) where that ain't gettin' it. It would certainly be nice to do vertical panos, though. :rolleyes:

CPWarner

What were Kirk and RRS thinking? Why else would we be using a remote release, but because we are on a tripod with low shutter speed and need it right when we need the l-bracket.

I checked my RRS L-bracket that I got last week, and sure enough, you would damage the door and then push really hard on the remote release plug if you tried to tighten the clamp. :confused: The thickness they need to add is about 2 mm. Not sure why that was so much that they needed to leave it off.

Unusually bad design on their part. Mine will be going back for full refund.

DHart

What were Kirk and RRS thinking? Why else would we be using a remote release, but because we are on a tripod with low shutter speed and need it right when we need the l-bracket.

I checked my RRS L-bracket that I got last week, and sure enough, you would damage the door and then push really hard on the remote release plug if you tried to tighten the clamp. :confused: The thickness they need to add is about 2 mm. Not sure why that was so much that they needed to leave it off.

Unusually bad design on their part. Mine will be going back for full refund.
CPW... amen, my friend. It makes no sense. It looks like a clear case of poor analysis of needs during the design process. If you're going to go to the effort to design and manufacture a specialized product such as this - and charge the serious money they do - you would think they would have given just a tiny bit more consideration to operational needs. As you say, if use of a tripod is needed, then use of a cable release is an obvious given. It would take such a small amount of design change for these products to be perfectly suited to using a cable release. Dang shame. And really surprising.

Terry

I emailed along with someone else at DPReview. I also sent the link to a thread about the problem. Finally, I spoke to them on the phone. My GF1 was used as the model for the sample. Not very helpful on any resolution other than only attach the dovetail at the very end. Rationale being it is a small and light camera and even just a small portion of the plate being locked into the bracket would be fine. Bad answer. Not sure what they are thinking.