The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 set up

ReeRay

I'm awaiting delivery of my GF-1 and looking at the reviews and menus of the camera there appears to be quite a few set up options.

I wonder if you would share your set ups and any little tricks you may have in achieving maximum performance/IQ

I'll have a 20mm pancake and EVF with the camera if that's relevant

Much appreciate any feedback

E

eos3d

I use mine in AV mode and go to Manual when I use the in-built flash. I then bump the ISO to 400 to get a good exposed background and set the speed at around 1/50.

For standard photography, I set the camera to the best Jpeg quality. I use Raw if I know the lighting conditions will be tricky.

My AF is almost always set to Face detection mode which I think works pretty well.

I use the standard Film mode where I sometimes bump the sharpening up +1.

I program the Fn function to allow me to quickly switch the gridlines on when needed.

I set the screen to display the Histogram which I have in the bottom left corner so it does not interfere too much in the screen image.

I also enable the Highlight function so all overexposed areas blink. I can then control the exposure much better (especially for landcapes) by using the exposure compensation dial to take different pictures until I have no blinking highlights.

I hope this helps. :)

Good luck with your new camera and happy shooting !

Cheers, :salute:

Young.

Terry

Once you use the camera for a bit the custom settings will come in very handy. I have one of my custom settings set to Dynamic B&W. When I set the camera this way I have a number of other parameters that I change so it is a good way to save all of those settings.

Everything Young said is useful.

I put the histogram top left - just personal preference.
I have the pre-AF turned off.
I also have the function button set to gridlines
Do yourself a favor and download the user manual. Much easier to search through the PDF than the physical book.

T

tmrgrs

I use mine in AV mode and go to Manual when I use the in-built flash. I then bump the ISO to 400 to get a good exposed background and set the speed at around 1/50.

For standard photography, I set the camera to the best Jpeg quality. I use Raw if I know the lighting conditions will be tricky.

My AF is almost always set to Face detection mode which I think works pretty well.

I use the standard Film mode where I sometimes bump the sharpening up +1.

I program the Fn function to allow me to quickly switch the gridlines on when needed.

I set the screen to display the Histogram which I have in the bottom left corner so it does not interfere too much in the screen image.

I also enable the Highlight function so all overexposed areas blink. I can then control the exposure much better (especially for landcapes) by using the exposure compensation dial to take different pictures until I have no blinking highlights.

I hope this helps. :)

Good luck with your new camera and happy shooting !

Cheers, :salute:

Young.
Thanks for this Young. Very useful. Especially the tip on compensation for blown highlights. Haven't tried face detection mode yet but will do so soon.

J

jerryk

I have mine setup to switch the 4 controller buttons to position the focus rectangle. I tend to select something other than the center point as my focus point and don't shoot people that often. In these settings you press the quick menu button to gain access to ISO, EC, etc. functions.

I usually shoot raw in manual or AV. I default to ISO 100 but will go up to 800 if needed.

E

eos3d

You're welcome ReeRay and Tmrgrs .

And Happy New Year to all of you!