The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How do I get the movies off my GF1?

jsnack

I shot several HD movies with my GF1, but I can't get them off the SD card and on to my computer. Is there some other software that I need? Where are the files located on my SD card?

Thanks for any help.

clay stewart

I think you need something to read the AVCHD format. You could just shoot motion jpeg and they can be read by most programs.

s.agar

When you open the SD card in your computer, you will see 3 folders. One of these is the video folder. See the file sizes, and you will know which folder that is. I just copy the files to my PC.

wjlapier

When you open the SD card in your computer, you will see 3 folders. One of these is the video folder. See the file sizes, and you will know which folder that is. I just copy the files to my PC.
Private>AVCHD>BDMV>Stream>.mts files.

photoSmart42

You should have also received the PHOTOfunSTUDIO software with your GF1, which also allows you to transfer the video files from your camera to your PC. I had the same confusion at first with my GH1. Seems like the video files are split up over several folders, which is odd.

jsnack

Yes...it seems the only way to view these HD movies is by installing the PHOTOfunSTUDIO software and actually plugging the camera into your computer. It works fine, but I would prefer to just copy & paste from the card itself. But I suppose you need some software to actually read and edit the movies. The PHOTOfunSTUDIO seems to do the job.

slau

I have both Mac and Windows machines. It can be very confusing on the video workflow. If you are viewing video files by connecting your camera to your computer, it is very different from viewing your video files from a card reader or your computer. The .MTS files are still not readable by quite a few programs.

Do you use Windows or Mac machine? It helps to know which system you have. There are a lot of free programs that may help.

ustein

Contributing Editor
It really depends what you want to do with the videos. I am using Mac. For Final Cut Pro I convert the videos (MTS) files with Neoscene to a less compressed CODEC (e.g. ProRes LT).

Also Toast Titanium can be very helpful dealing with AVCHD.

Diane B

Video dummy that I am LOL---I copy my video files to a folder, open and work with Sony Vegas which handles AVCHD (PC)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>work with Sony Vegas which handles AVCHD (PC)

Yes that works. What frame rate does Vegas show?

Forget, this is a GF1, right? My question would be related to Vegas and GH1 1080p footage.

Uwe

ustein

Contributing Editor
Hey Uwe nice to see you here , sorry I did not say Hi yet been a little busy. Hope all is well. Guy
Guy, you and Jack created a nice forum. You both can be very proud of it. But the main asset are your members. This is a forum about photography where people are passionate and very nice to each other. And not to forget show pictures that are very inspiring.

slau

Yes...it seems the only way to view these HD movies is by installing the PHOTOfunSTUDIO software and actually plugging the camera into your computer. It works fine, but I would prefer to just copy & paste from the card itself. But I suppose you need some software to actually read and edit the movies. The PHOTOfunSTUDIO seems to do the job.
You can just copy the .MTS files and paste them to your hard drive. You will need a program that can play .MTS files. I have tried quite a few, with MAC the Toast 10 Player works the best for playing back .MTS files directly without any conversion.

jsnack

Thanks for all the replies. Can someone recommend a program that plays .MTS files. I am using a PC. Thanks.

slau

I hope you have better luck with VLC player on your PC. On my Mac Pro, the VLC plays some files but skips some for reasons I do not understand.