The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Samyang 85mm f1.4 for micro 4/3

kweide

Read it too. Very interesting lenses regarding their specs and prices... we have to see how their quality will be.

Terry

Looks like those are 4/3 mount not micro 4/3 so you will need an adapter. 85 f1.4 is a bit long for me to need that fast. I would really like to see something like a fast 60mm.

Both Olympus and Panasonic have a native micro 4/3 fisheye on their lens roadmap.

Jonas

I'm a bit puzzled by this release. I had some fun with the Samyang 85/1.4 on my 5DMkII. The focal length was right, the speed was right, the bokeh is great (like am 85mm version of the Sigma 50/1.4 EX). The resolution was good. That is good as in good, but not super crisp wide open.

The interesting thing is that also if the lens improved somewhat when stopped down it didn't improve that much. What I wonder is how it will perform with our small high pixel density sensors.

OK, it's for 4/3 mount but an adapter isn't that expensive. Still, I would by a Canon or Nikon mount version for the future, or for an easier sell.

Rawfa

Darn, I was so excited I didn't realize it was 4/3 and not MICRO 4/3. This could be a very nice portrait lens. When are third party companies going to start producing good and affordable micro 4/3 lenses?! I'm dying for a 12mm or 14mm f2.8 pancake. I'd also very much like to see an 85mm f1.8 (or faster), and a fast all terrain zoom 14-55mm constant f2.8.

Terry

85mm is like a 170mm on 4/3 or m4/3 a bit long for a portrait lens. It will be very hard to get good focus on the E-P1 wide open with the LCD magnified and the body held out in front of you.

Rawfa

85mm is like a 170mm on 4/3 or m4/3 a bit long for a portrait lens. It will be very hard to get good focus on the E-P1 wide open with the LCD magnified and the body held out in front of you.
D'oh! Today is really not my day. I was thinking of an actual 85mm....forgot to multiply by 2.

Jonas

Hey I have an Olympus 520 that this may be useful for but neither B&H nor Adorama carries this lens.
If you are in a hurry and don't mind an adapter B&H sells the lens under the Vivitar Series 1 name.
EDIT: I don't think the 4/3 mount version is released yet. I don't know when it should arrive.

Jonas

For the price they're mentioning I would actually rather get a Canon 85mm f1.8...
:)

Maybe the Rokinon is the cheapest version in north America. I don't know. You can look for Bower, Falcon, Polar, Rokinon, Sakar, Samyang, Vivitar Series 1 and Walimex (and maybe some more). They are all the same lens made by Samyang.

Jonas

Here there are already good examples. I think that works very well on sensors MFT.
Rafael's images are nice but I wouldn't judge resolution from small web images. Maybe they are good to anyone's standard, maybe not. They are sure good for web publishing.

And then I like to do portraits hidden for long distance!
What do you think instead of Samyang 8mm fisheye? The equivalent focal length of 16mm fisheye can work well on GF1?
I'm sorry, I haven't seen any samples. If you like the result from 16mm FE lenses on FF cameras it can work. 180 degrees (approx) diagonally I presume, it's cool.

/Jonas

T

thearne3

This looks like a good lens. I can't see the advantage of waiting for the 4/3 mount - and m4/3 doesn't appear to be in their plan. The Canon mount version, labeled Rokinon is available for $249US on ebay (shipping from NJ). The m4/3 to Canon adapters run $39 from NY. If you want a very fast manual lens at EFV 170mm, $289 is very attractive!

Best,
Tom

M

maxpiz

I'm sorry, I haven't seen any samples. If you like the result from 16mm FE lenses on FF cameras it can work. 180 degrees (approx) diagonally I presume, it's cool.
/Jonas
Indeed I doubt if it covers 180 degrees even with the 16mm on MFT. Can someone explain to me?
Bye

hodad66

I should receive a Rokinon 8mm fish tomorrow for use
on my G1 so I will report....:) Got it on overstocked.com
for $250.... should be interesting.

scho

For the price they're mentioning I would actually rather get a Canon 85mm f1.8...
I have the old Canon FD 85mm f/1.8 and it is OK. Sharp, but bokeh is a little bit jingly at times. Here are two with the Canon 85 on the G1:

At f/1.8:

At f/5.6:

Last edited: