Site Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite micro four thirds camera?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Olympus E-P1

11 9.32%
  • Olympus E-P2

10 8.47%
  • Panasonic G1

49 41.53%
  • Panasonic GF1

30 25.42%
  • Panasonic GH1

18 15.25%

Thread: Vote for your favourite micro 4/3rds camera!

Post Thanks / Like

Vote for your favourite micro 4/3rds camera!

Hi everyone, this is just for fun and also because I thought it'd be interesting to see everyone's different views, especially those who own a more than one M4/3rd camera:

Which is your favourite micro four thirds camera?

Perhaps in your post you can write why it's your favourite as opposed to the alternatives?

Remember just for fun (don't want it to turn into a heated arguement )

*one vote per person please *
    Last edited by vincechu; 1st January 2010 at 15:20. Reason: Spelling correction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Vote for your favourite micro 4/3rds camera!

The Panny G1 is my favorite. I like the size (although I'd prefer a little bigger grip, extending lower), hi-res EVF (superb with my legacy manual focus lenses), flip-out LCD and the price is right (it's a bargain).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    The Panny G1 is my favorite. I like the size (although I'd prefer a little bigger grip, extending lower), hi-res EVF (superb with my legacy manual focus lenses), flip-out LCD and the price is right (it's a bargain).
    I totally agree

I voted for the Panasonic G1 - because I think it's the best value for money option - for the price you get a great EVF, very handy articulated screen and finally the image quality is pretty similar to the other cameras (you'd have to look very very closely to see much difference - unless you compare with the olympus Jpegs). Not to mention I love the grip on it. Lack of video doesn't really bother me as I don't make many videos anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for G1 here. Although I primarily use the GH1, I had to give it to the G1 for the amazing value.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've owned all but the E-P2.

If I could only have one it would be the G1 but the GH1 is fine as well. I decided video isn't overly important to me although it is nice to have. The GF1 is fantastic but for all around use the articulating screen, EVF and grip of the G1/GH1 give it the edge over the GF1.

The E-P1 is a fantastic camera and the IBIS is a plus for shooting for legacy prime lenses, but I'm not wild about the firmware. The E-P2 looks to be fine but in playing with the new EVF (which is gorgeous to look through) I found the blackout between shots to be just a bit too long which was just long enough to be annoying.

Bottom line I would give up something else (like something out of my handbag collection) if my budget didn't allow for having both the G1 and GF1 bodies.
    Last edited by Terry; 1st January 2010 at 15:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I've owned all but the E-P2.

If I could only have one it would be the G1 but the GH1 is fine as well. I decided video isn't overly important to me although it is nice to have. The GF1 is fantastic but for all around use the articulating screen, EVF and grip of the G1/GH1 give it the edge over the GF1.

snip.

Bottom line I would give up something else (like something out of my handbag collection) if my budget didn't allow for having both the G1 and GF1 bodies.
    I probably have to say the same. I have never shot (except for a bit at a camera store when I bought the 17 f/2.8) with the EP-1, but that would fall into the range with the GF1 for me for usability.

If I could only have 1--the G1/GH1 with no doubt--but, like Terry, I would likely give up something else to have both the G1 and GF1 (which I do have). I use both and for different purposes and reasons. When I travel in the future, I'll carry the G1, GF1, Oly 9-18 with MA-1 adaptor, 20 f1.7, 45 f/2.8, 45-200 and Lensbaby composer/WA converter. It all fits in the 'little bit smaller' Domke Classic F6 (I think that's the number). How great is that--2 bodies, covered from 9-200mm, 2 fast lenses, a 'creative' lens, filters, and necessary accessories--and all without killing my back/shoulder.

Diane

JJYL430

The G1 gets my vote. A very versatile unit that offers great results

Post Thanks / Like

I have the GF1 and GH1, and if I had to pick one to keep it'd be the GH1 for sure. I love the LCD, the EVF, and the overall feel of it. If video is of no importance, I'd pick the G1. The GF1 is incredible, but there's something about the feel and experience of the G1/GH1 that I love.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both G1 and GH1. Because I do video the GH1 wins hands down. Would like to have 2 GH1 to minimize switching lenses. The 7-14 could be nailed to one of the bodies :-). THen the G1 is just fine as I don't see us doing that much video with the 7-14mm.

Missed too much the EVF with the E-P1 and could not stand the slow AF.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

G1.

The first to appear and still the best!

Besides being the most versatile of all the m4/3rds cams, it is also the cheapest.

Incredible!

Post Thanks / Like

I own the G1 but IMO, the GH1 is the best of the bunch, in-terms of specs, capabilities and the sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyway you look at it, the G1/GH1 form factor is a winner (at the moment, at least)! Seems like if you really want/need the video capability (impressive, I'll admit) the GH1 is the answer.

But dollar for dollar, for still photo purists.....it's awfully hard to beat the G1.

Regardless of your preference.....micro four thirds is a winner....and hopefully will get even better in 2010 and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post

Regardless of your preference.....micro four thirds is a winner....and hopefully will get even better in 2010 and beyond.
    I hope so. Has a lot of potential.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the G1 is the m4/3 camera I have, so it got my vote. I see that it's ahead on the results but I'm not sure it reflects the actual reality or if it's because more people have it and, like myself, they only have the G1. I've seen some pretty amazing stuff coming from the GH1/GF1 cameras.
    Tullio

klythawk

Have the G1 and GF1, but the vote goes to the G1.

The GF1 is too slippery, should have used the same rubbery coating as G1.

tripper

Well I only have experience of the G1 and GF1 both of which I own and I would have to vote for the.......... G1

For a 1st attempt in a completely new system this is (imo) a tremendous effort.
    The EVF and adjustable LCD make it the winner over the video and smaller form factor of the GF1.

tripper

Post Thanks / Like

While I watched m43 for a year waiting for the GF1 to come out what I actually ended up getting and loving was the G1. I wanted to replace a APS-C landscape kit and since I was going to have multiple lenses with me anyway the size advantage of the GF1 was small and in the end the EVF and especially the articulating LCD of the G1 sealed the deal. I have no interest in video and don't like superzooms, so no GH1 for me.

The amazing thing with m43 so far is that with five bodies from two manufacturers in just one year each one is a "distinct" favorite to a particular user. Perhaps the EP-2 supplanting the EP-1 I guess. But anyway, for a brand new market to have so many body choices that are all winners is amazing. Now build more lenses!!!

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by klythawk View Post
    Have the G1 and GF1, but the vote goes to the G1.

The GF1 is too slippery, should have used the same rubbery coating as G1.
    Totally agree with you John, I went to try a GF1 out but it just didnt feel right, I really missed the G1 grip, so i decided to cancel the order for a white gf1 from hong kong, planning to get the 20mm lens in the future tho

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    I hope so. Has a lot of potential.
    I totally agree, there's many rumours about new m 4/3rds cameras coming out, and they'll be more lenses coming out as layed out in Olympus' and Pansonic's "lens roadmaps", I hope that other companies such as Tamron and Sigma will start developing m 4/3rds lenses, as they would probably be much cheaper than Olympus' or Pansonic's.

Post Thanks / Like

a Vote for the GF1 here.
    Though I do have to say part of that magic is the 20mm for me!
    am

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the GF1. I do agree with am that part of the magic is the 20mm lens. Having such a small, good low light camera in your pocket is really handy. I finally bought mine just after Christmas.

I did demo a G1 and the kit lens when it first came out. I wanted to wait to see how the lens lineup would mature before jumping in. I am probably going to end up getting a GH1 body for use for some video work from time to time.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I voted G1. I had all the compacts including the LX-3 and both the DP-1 and 2, and the GX-100.

The GF-1 looks the goods, but with the zoom, the form factor is similar to the G1, and so the G1's grip is no disadvantage, size-wise, and certainly makes the camera easier to hold. This is much more important with Alt. lenses, or the 45-200 zoom. The swivel finder's a big plus, and the EVF is really very good. I tend to use the EVF the most.

The GF-1 was a camera I wanted to love, but even with the 20/1.7 was not a pocketable rig, for me. The S90 with the Franiec grip is.

Vivek's right, as far as I'm concerned: the G1 was the first, and is the best, IMHO.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

G1 is the best overall and I'm hoping that a G2is announced or released so I can have my G1 IR converted without reservation. GF1 is very good but it has its limitations. The Olympus RAW output traditionally doesn't impress me as much as the Panasonic 4/3 line. The EP1/EP2 seems to be improved a lot and if I wasn't as comfortable as I am with Panasonic cameras then I'd recommend them.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

I also voted for the G1 but agree that it is somewhat unfair as it is the camera I have.

I certainly agree with the sentiment that for a first model, Panasonic sure did a lot right. The EVF and its ability to manual focus is a gem. And the swivel screen...

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

The E-P2 looks to be fine but in playing with the new EVF (which is gorgeous to look through) I found the blackout between shots to be just a bit too long which was just long enough to be annoying.
    Terry, is the blackout time longer on the E-P2 than on the G1?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Terry, is the blackout time longer on the E-P2 than on the G1?
    I only had the GF1 with me to compare and it was definitely longer than the GF1. The only reason I compared it to the GF1 was because it felt uncomfortably long to me so I took out the GF1 to see if the long blackout was real or imaginary. To me it was real. We can wait and see what the reviewers have to say I haven't seen any stats yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I just realized that you said--'out of my handbag collection'.

Post Thanks / Like

I only had the GF1 with me to compare and it was definitely longer than the GF1. The only reason I compared it to the GF1 was because it felt uncomfortably long to me so I took out the GF1 to see if the long blackout was real or imaginary. To me it was real. We can wait and see what the reviewers have to say I haven't seen any stats yet.
    Interesting, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

The best is the G1, for reasons already posted by several others (don't care for video). Quite a remarkable achievement by Panasonic, particularly under consideration that it was first of breed
    My favorite the EP2, though. The mfts' are my casual/lazy solutions and should allow to minimize digital darkroom time. So the excellent jpegs (like the Oly colors), IBIS, very good EVF, form factor and looks make the EP2 my favorite. IBIS, superior EVF and better "grip", make it preferable over the GF1 for legacy and bulkier/longer lenses. Went from G1, a keeper, to EP1, to GF1 and eventually to EP2. EP1 and GF1 will be sold.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the GH1 because that's my newest camera. I could have also voted for the G1 because it's the first camera I used (my wife's camera) in this format. In my mind those two cameras are interchangeable.

I had a chance to buy the GF1/EP2 instead of the GH1 as a second camera, but to be honest aside from the 'cool' factor those cameras didn't make sense to me. Size isn't really much of a factor because I can comfortably fit the G1/GH1 when fitted with the 20/1.7 in many of the same places where I could fit a GF1 with a 20. Moreover, the main reason for having gone the G1/GH1 route a year ago instead of any of the other DSLRs on the market was the articulating LCD, which isn't there with the smaller GF1/EP2s. Throw in losing the EVF, and you're back to a P&S. I feel that with the GF1/EP2, the moment you go away from using small, compact lenses like the 20/1.7 etc., you lose not only the 'cool' factor, but also much of the utility of having the larger camera. So if you only have one compact lens, you end up with a single-lens camera, thus back to a P&S. There are plenty of P&S cameras out there that offer as good or better performance as the GF1/EP2.

I think I'll have the G1/GH1 for a long time, although at some point it may get relegated to a second/backup camera. It's a work horse of a camera, a pleasure to handle and to shoot, lots of utility, decent all-around photo quality, interchangeable lenses, and great video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the G1 and E-P1, having previously used Olympus DSLRs and having a decent collection of 4/3rds lenses the E-P1 was more familiar to me... I much prefer the LCD as a framing device (if not a focusing device) for low key, inconspicuous shooting.

So, my personal choice is the E-P1, but the G1 is currently the very best value for money... especially if this is not a complement to your existing DSLR.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Wow looks like Panasonic cameras are wiping the floor with the Olympus ones, I'm guessing a lot of people are put off by the lack of flash and viewfinder?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite happy with the G1.

All the others are good too, but I haven't found a significant advantage in buying another body yet.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vincechu View Post
    Wow looks like Panasonic cameras are wiping the floor with the Olympus ones, I'm guessing a lot of people are put off by the lack of flash and viewfinder?
    I wouldn't go that far. I think it's personal choice mostly. For me I was familiar with Panasonic menus, options, and prefer the RAW output on it. I also prefer the higher resolution screens on the camera. If JPEG were a factor or if I already had Olympus lenses then I'd probably go Olympus but that's not the case for me. I started into 4/3 once the Micro 4/3 bodies came about and Olympus took a while for the EP-1 to be released.

Choice is good and there's no right or wrong. Only what's best for you. That said I prefer Lightroom 2 and Nik Software plug-ins for most PP. Some despise both.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vincechu View Post
    I interprete it differently. EP1 and EP2 are competing with GF1 and there it's a draw. But there is simply no Oly competition to the G1/GH1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    I interprete it differently. EP1 and EP2 are competing with GF1 and there it's a draw. But there is simply no Oly competition to the G1/GH1.
    Never thought of it that way but now you've said that I totally agree. Very good point there, now that i think of it I guess the EP1 and EP2 and GF1 are aimed at a different market to the G1/GH1, mayb those moving up from compacts or more style concious?

On a different note, I expect olympus to bring out a camera to compete with the G1/GH1 this year, and I'd love for it to look like this:

http://43rumors.com/new-microfourthi...-half-of-2010/

(i know its a fake ;-) )

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

However if you read the posts many of the G1/GH1 votes are made by those who also own a GF1 (me for one). Most have said if they had to chose between the two different styles they would stick with the G1/GH1....These same people chose the GF1 over the E-P1/2 in their "compact body" buying decision. So for me, it is really hard to use the poll for any definitive answers. The comments about how people made their choice are more interesting. The poll just invited the commentary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

However if you read the posts many of the G1/GH1 votes are made by those who also own a GF1 (me for one). Most have said if they had to chose between the two different styles they would stick with the G1/GH1....These same people chose the GF1 over the E-P1/2 in their "compact body" buying decision. So for me, it is really hard to use the poll for any definitive answers. The comments about how people made their choice are more interesting. The poll just invited the commentary.

+1 Totally agree.

Post Thanks / Like

It's the GF1 for me (actually, a pair of them), as I find the G1 ungainly to hold with my large(-ish) hands and fugly to the point of actually being an annoyance every time I use mine. Of course, there are times when the swivel LCD and EVF come in handy, so I've held onto to it regardless. I also have an E-P1 and have no great love for it, either, and likewise would have parted with it by now except that the in-camera stabilization and better IQ of its .jpgs comes in handy at times.

Post Thanks / Like

The G1 made me 're-discover' photography and is a great value IMHO. But I am very happy that I could just upgrade to the GH1 body (thanks again T.), just having the option of taking video and having the slightly larger sensor made it worth it for me. But I would never have paid the full price for a new GH1 set. I was planning on selling the G1 body now, but I am not 100% sure, yet, somehow it seems worth more than what I can get for it... For some reason, the smaller ones never had much appeal for me. For a moment, I was thinking about getting a GF1 as a companion for the GH1 but I have an LX3 that does everything I need in a more compact camera. Except that I keep trying to look through the EVF on the LX3...

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the G1 when it became available. I bought it for the viewfinder, the live view and the lens mount. The articulating LCD came with the design and has made some pictures more convenient to take. 95% or so of the time I have it turned towards the back of the camera; I use the viewfinder.

For me there hasn't been any reason to up- or sidegrade. The cameras have their pros and cons. For the future I hope for a more rugged body with better ergonomics.

I voted G1. The first, the "cheapest" and just as good, worse and better as the other models.

rachp

I voted for GH-1. I tried the EP-1 and it was too small and I decided I needed the viewfinder and flash would be nice. Video isn't important right now but if I decided I wanted to try it later then I would need the GH-1 so I saved myself some trouble later on and got the GH-1 instead of the G1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    I bought the G1 when it became available. I bought it for the viewfinder, the live view and the lens mount. The articulating LCD came with the design and has made some pictures more convenient to take. 95% or so of the time I have it turned towards the back of the camera; I use the viewfinder.

For me there hasn't been any reason to up- or sidegrade. The cameras have their pros and cons. For the future I hope for a more rugged body with better ergonomics.
    We're in agreement on this, Jonas. :-)

I would like this

updated to have the G1 viewfinder, sensor and the Micro-FourThirds lens mount. Weather-sealing, a magnesium body casting, HD video recording, etc etc would all be icing on the cake.

And a 70mm f/2 lens with OIS in addition to what's available and been announced already.

I hope Panasonic is listening.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This poll is skewed as well.

EP or G, Matshu$hita are the manufacturer of the m4/3rds sensor in all the cams thus far.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the G1 and liked it alot, I now have the EP2 and LOVE it. The G1 interface was very easy to use and I loved manually focusing on the G1, but since I am also familiar with Oly cams the EP2's interface has not been a problem and the EVF is fantastic. I like that you can use it in 2 positions and people just do not notice you standing there taking their picture at all, or in stores they seem not to care since it looks like a point and shoot with the 20mm on it. The IQ and low light images have been shockingly good to me.