The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First Moon of 2010

PeterB666

Nice shot. I did some shots 2 days earlier with my E-P1 and an Olympus OM 200mm f/4 lens with and without a Telemore95 II 2x converter and also with my Panasonic 45-200 zoom.

Unfortunately the OM 200 f/4 just isn't sharp enough and the best shots came out of the Panasonic. I could have used more reach (a lot more).

Well done.

bensonga

Beautiful moon Lili and a full moon is the hardest one to capture. It is a magical thing to see. I watched the partial lunar eclipse here in Alaska on New Year's Eve day....what a wonderful sight. It was just setting in the northwest above the snow covered mountains at 10:30am with the first light of the day rising in the east....truly inspiring to see.

Here is one of the few moon shots I've attempted. Taken in 2003 with my Canon D60 (oops..not 4/3rds and not 2010!) attached to a friend's one of a kind TMB 9 inch folded apochromatic refractor telescope. The views thru this telescope, especially when fitted with a binocular viewer, are absolutely amazing. I remember thinking, when looking at the moon before I took this photo....it felt like I was orbiting the moon and looking out the porthole of a spaceship. This photo doesn't even begin to do it justice.

You may have inspired me to give it another try....unfortunately, my friend has moved to Texas, so I'll have to rely on my own very modest equipment this time around. Thanks for the link to Wrotniak's site!

Gary

Last edited:

monza

Impressive refractor. Moon shots are tough, sharpness depends so much on the atmosphere at the moment.

PeterB666

This is my best shot from 30 Dec 09 (I guess you could call it the Last Moon of 2010).

There was too much cloud on 31 Dec 09 and I was psyched up to shoot fireworks anyway (but that is another story).

I would like a 500mm lens but so far I have not been overly impressed by the old OM glass out there - too much flare and haloing for my likes.

At this stage, I cannot justify a new lens of that range and there isn't anything in MFT anyway.

bensonga

Yes, that 9 inch TMB is a very impressive scope...it's a beast to get up on the mount (definitely a 2 person job). That's an Astrophysics 900GTO mount it's on...also a very fine piece of astro equipment. A person could do some incredible astrophotography with that setup, but my friend is really only interested in visual observing.....and to a great extent I agree....nothing like seeing stunning views of the Orion Nebula etc with your own two eyes! :D

Depending on a person's interests, I think a good alternative to buying a long telephoto lens to use for this sort of astrophotography (500mm etc) is the purchase of a good quality refractor telescope. Here's a photo I took of the moon on the same night as the image above, but the Canon D60 was attached to my Televue Pronto small refractor 70mm/f6.8 (focal length of 480mm).

I'm now thinking my Panny G1 would be a good camera to use for astrophotography....I just need to get the right adapter to hook it up to my Televue Pronto or my slightly longer Stellarvue 80mm/f9.4 (focal length 750mm). The Stellarvue, which is an excellent and well made achromatic refractor, costs about $400. The Pronto is no longer made....somewhat of a classic now, with typically superb Televue quality optics (even though it is not apochromatic) and buttery smooth focusing.

Gary