The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Difference in Lens Adapter Question

swandy

I have the EP2 with both the original Olympus OM - 4/3 adapter and the Olympus 4/3 - m4/3 adapter. I have been using this combination with a Lensbaby Composer and a few old Olympus OM Zuiko lenses.

Does anybody know if there an advantage - either image quality, exposure, sharpness, focusing distance, etc. - to use the Olympus OM - m4/3 adapter? (Aside from having to use one adapter vs. two.)

Thanks,
Steve

swandy

Thanks guys. That is what I figured, but just wanted some confirmation. I had read elsewhere that by using the original OM adapter with the 4/3 adapter, you are effecting the close focusing distance of the older lens. Thought that someone who had both could confirm or deny that.
Steve

Tullio

That is a true statement. IQ is not affected by having two adapters but they work as an extension tube, so it will affect the minimum distance you can obtain focus from.

swandy

That is a true statement. IQ is not affected by having two adapters but they work as an extension tube, so it will affect the minimum distance you can obtain focus from.
The question - at least my question - is do the combination of the two adapters effect the lens performance/focusing distance any differently than just using the single OM - m4/3 adapter. I would assume that it shouldn't, but wanted confirmation perhaps by someone who has tested (or read about) both alternatives.
Steve

pellicle

Hi

I had read elsewhere that by using the original OM adapter with the 4/3 adapter, you are effecting the close focusing distance of the older lens. Thought that someone who had both could confirm or deny that.
Steve
as with any decnet adaptor (system) you'll loose almost nothing on the close focus, but the tolerance of manufacture may be a little off around infinity. This is where 0.05mm will make a difference.

unless I've misunderstood your question :)