Site Sponsors

Thread: Perverted language

Post Thanks / Like

Perverted language

I use the term "macro" reluctantly in photography because it is the convention. My instinct is to call it "micro" NOT "macro". To me micro is very small & macro large. Who perverted the word macro to mean small with regard to photography anyway?
    Panasonic G1 & GF1 bodies, Panasonic 14-45, 45-200mm, various Minolta, Pentax, Canon FD, M39 & M42 mount lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Perverted language

Maybe it means to view small things large (Macro).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Well, that is an interesting point of view.
    Panasonic G1 & GF1 bodies, Panasonic 14-45, 45-200mm, various Minolta, Pentax, Canon FD, M39 & M42 mount lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    That's my take on it as well. It's seeing it from a different perspective. Oddly enough there's both macro and micro photography (even though they do the exact same thing), and it seems the delineation between the two is something like 5x magnification.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Change to Nikon, and the problem disappears

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    That's my take on it as well. It's seeing it from a different perspective. Oddly enough there's both macro and micro photography (even though they do the exact same thing), and it seems the delineation between the two is something like 5x magnification.
    I still think it is a perversion. It is like saying a microscope is a macroscope because it make small things look large.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL, I agree with what Joergen said!

Post Thanks / Like

Term macro is (I think) accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Evers View Post
    I still think it is a perversion. It is like saying a microscope is a macroscope because it make small things look large.
    The term, which originated from Greek meaning "meagre"'which could mean small too so it's likely more accurately used in cameras than in say, economics where it refers to large systems.
    Nikon and Olympus both offered so-called micro lenses that fit on bellows and produced actual magnification, as opposed to the traditional 1:1 of the regular macro lens. So, in their case, they could have used micro to describe the small high power lenses (akin to microscope objectives almost) and used macro to describe the non-magnifying 1:1 lenses. Olympus did this, Nikon did not.

Tikkis

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Evers View Post
    I use the term "macro" reluctantly in photography because it is the convention. My instinct is to call it "micro" NOT "macro". To me micro is very small & macro large. Who perverted the word macro to mean small with regard to photography anyway?
    There is a long tradition behind these terms. It's been thought that from larger scale to the micro scale the terms are; close-up photography (up to 1:10), macro photography (1:10 - 1:1) and micro photography (from 1:1 to larger than life).

I really don't know if these boundaries are formed by the strictest rules but I find this order and system highly logical.

Best Regards,
    Tikkis, Helsinki (-20 C)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tikkis View Post
    There is a long tradition behind these terms. It's been thought that from larger scale to the micro scale the terms are; close-up photography (up to 1:10), macro photography (1:10 - 1:1) and micro photography (from 1:1 to larger than life).

I really don't know if these boundaries are formed by the strictest rules but I find this order and system highly logical.

Best Regards,
    Tikkis, Helsinki (-20 C)

That is so far the most convincing argument in favour of macro.