The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shoot now and create later

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Keith and Uwe.
As for blending modes, I usually use overlay or soft. This one was overlay. I like the punch that overlay gives.

Mike

Diane B

The poppy image was one of my favorites on your site. I'm glad you shared your technique with us. Thanks.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor
Thanks Keith and Uwe.
As for blending modes, I usually use overlay or soft. This one was overlay. I like the punch that overlay gives.

Mike
Mike,

interesting because I used so far only "Multiply". But liking your images so much I tried Overlay with my script. It turns out that I can get the same effect in both cases, just have to use different sliders. Overall "Overlay" seems to give me more latitude.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Mike,

interesting because I used so far only "Multiply". But liking your images so much I tried Overlay with my script. It turns out that I can get the same effect in both cases, just have to use different sliders. Overall "Overlay" seems to give me more latitude.
I agree. Overlay adds punch to the image which can be toned down by the opacity slider and I use soft if I want the texture to be subtle. Sometimes, I even duplicate the texture layer and use one layer as soft and the other as overlay with different opacity. Not sure why I do this. I just go with the flow of the image.

Mike

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Mike - I love the poppy shot.

Keith
Thank you Keith. This has always been one of my favorites. It is on my websites home page along side a version my wife Andrea did of her interpretation of my image.
Here is the link. http://www.regnierstudio.com
We are thinking of doing a show with our images hanging side by side. Her version of my image. Could be interesting.

Mke

Diane B

Thank you Keith. This has always been one of my favorites. It is on my websites home page along side a version my wife Andrea did of her interpretation of my image.
Here is the link. http://www.regnierstudio.com
We are thinking of doing a show with our images hanging side by side. Her version of my image. Could be interesting.

Mke
I didn't say anything about this when I saw it, but I wondered about the back and forth interaction and influence between the two of you. It would be difficult for this not to occur to some degree since you are both visual artists living and working in close proximity. I think the show would be very interesting.

Diane

Jonas

Mike, thank you for starting this thread.
I have visited it a couple of times. These images aren't my style at all, but they have inspired me and some day I'll have to try something similar.
Thanks also all contributors, you have made me look and think and admire!

/Jonas

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Mike, thank you for starting this thread.
I have visited it a couple of times. These images aren't my style at all, but they have inspired me and some day I'll have to try something similar.
Thanks also all contributors, you have made me look and think and admire!

/Jonas
Thanks Jonas and to Uwe again. He suggested this idea. I realize that it's not a normal way of working for most, but I know we have all had shooting moments when we wish we could change something about the scene etc. etc.
For me, it frees me of the anxiety or pressure of getting everything right in one shot. I had enough of that in the beginning of my career working with film.

Mike

ustein

Contributing Editor
Always some of our photos had a painterly look. This was more from the subject (mostly abstracts) and the colors. Blending feels like a nice extension for us.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Here is a studio shot created with layers. Shots of Leaf on white and textures used.

Lots of retouching later.

Mike

ustein

Contributing Editor
Here is a very common situation for me. I like a tree but the sky is the problem.

Not only that overcast is rare but it would also not help much. I want to show the texture of the tree. Even great clouds would not that much better. Only selecting trees that have no sky as background would be limiting and also not a solutions. Tree shapes show best against the sky.

Here is the original (sky slightly desaturated, don't like baby blue skies much):

Posted this image blended before but this time I used a very fine sand beach texture:

ustein

Contributing Editor
Here is a studio shot created with layers. Shots of Leaf on white and textures used.

Lots of retouching later.

Mike
Amazing. These are studio shots I like. Not so clean boring.

Are these textures painted originally?

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Amazing. These are studio shots I like. Not so clean boring.

Are these textures painted originally?
Thanks Uwe. Yes the textures come from painting on a canvas and then taking that shot and blending it with another canvas painting. You can go on and on and on with these kind of texture blends until you have quite a collection.

mike

ustein

Contributing Editor
Beautiful shot! You have a wonderful collection of tree images.
mike
Thanks. We (I share a joint copyright with Bettina) have to revisit many of them.

1. Lots of great oaks here

2. Hollister now also has many orchards

Here is one of our classic shots. The texture is not blended, it is a real thunderstorm (we had major hail 5 minutes later):

ustein

Contributing Editor
I think blending also works with people/ Girl at the Beach blended with Sunflowers. A snapshot from 2004 that waited for this moment :)