The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shoot now and create later

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Good example for 1+1 =5

The starting images are not very inspiring yet the blended result is interesting.
Yes, I agree. Those images have been sitting idle a long time. I was just shooting pieces of a composition. The trouble is remembering them and then finding them.

Mike

Diane B

Yes, I agree. Those images have been sitting idle a long time. I was just shooting pieces of a composition. The trouble is remembering them and then finding them.

Mike
Aha :D Its why when I've had a bit of extra time in the evenings, I've been going back and making sure that I've keyworded a bit more detailed. I've been lax this past year and just 'general' keyworded, so I'm remedying that--or I'll never find anything. So many images have never been processed that probably are worthwhile in one form or another--IF--as you say---I can find them :ROTFL:

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor
Aha :D Its why when I've had a bit of extra time in the evenings, I've been going back and making sure that I've keyworded a bit more detailed. I've been lax this past year and just 'general' keyworded, so I'm remedying that--or I'll never find anything. So many images have never been processed that probably are worthwhile in one form or another--IF--as you say---I can find them :ROTFL:

Diane
I now added two keywords:

1. BUP_Textures
2. BUP_TBlendingCandidates

Hope this makes sense. Just recently browsed in my 64K catalog. Lots of work but also a travel back into the last years.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
shot 1 shows the stitched 2 images and how I stretched the image as well as adding the goat.

shot 2 shows textures used.

Final shot with of course lots of retouching.

Mike

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
shot 1 shows the stitched 2 images and how I stretched the image as well as adding the goat.

Mike
Fascinating, Mike. I would not have figured out that the stretching created the movement in this picture. Did you create the design of the original image with that in mind?

Please keep these coming

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Fascinating, Mike. I would not have figured out that the stretching created the movement in this picture. Did you create the design of the original image with that in mind?

Please keep these coming

Keith
Hi Keith,

I did two shots knowing that I would merge them, but when I did, I decided I didn't want to crop the image to a square, so I stretched the image to a square.

Mike

Diane B

Mike, something I've seen in your stretched images is that they get a Lensbaby feel to them--those distorted edges that really add to the image IMO (I don't get distorted edges with my tilt shift lens--just the difference in focus plane--I can create a narrow wedge/plane of focus with the edges being out of focus to varying degrees, but its quite different from my Lensbaby--or other similar lenses that may be optically 'challenged').

I'm glad you posted this because I don't expect that we thought just how you had stretched them--but here its quite obvious visually.

Diane

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Mike, something I've seen in your stretched images is that they get a Lensbaby feel to them--those distorted edges that really add to the image IMO (I don't get distorted edges with my tilt shift lens--just the difference in focus plane--I can create a narrow wedge/plane of focus with the edges being out of focus to varying degrees, but its quite different from my Lensbaby--or other similar lenses that may be optically 'challenged').

I'm glad you posted this because I don't expect that we thought just how you had stretched them--but here its quite obvious visually.

Diane
Diane,
Yes I don't hesitate to stretch if I think it will add to the image. Since I put so much texture over the image, any weird looking pixels are camouflaged.
I like the lensbaby look though I usually shoot the same shot with a regular lens as well. Sometimes the lensbaby is too much and you don't realize it at the moment, but then you are stuck with that look.

Mike

Diane B

Diane,
I like the lensbaby look though I usually shoot the same shot with a regular lens as well. Sometimes the lensbaby is too much and you don't realize it at the moment, but then you are stuck with that look.

Mike
I agree--I'm tending to carry the Lensbaby Composer with .42 WA converter on my G1 (or .625) which gives me similar FOV to my 20 f/1.7 on the GF1--carrying both a lot of the time.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor

Mike
That is exactly my problem and I don't think to create a Lensbaby feel is that complicated in software. Get me right I love masterful Lensbaby photos but I personally have not been that lucky to envision the result while shooting with the Lensbaby[/I]

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
That is exactly my problem and I don't think to create a Lensbaby feel is that complicated in software. Get me right I love masterful Lensbaby photos but I personally have not been that lucky to envision the result while shooting with the Lensbaby[/I]
Yes, you can sort of create the same feel in the computer, but it takes a long time and I think it is still not quite the same. The nice thing about the lensbaby is the accidental images you come up with while shooting.

btrancho

I've been following this thread and decided to try using the basic technique of Uwe's script and the stretching that Mike used in his lovely stitched image.

First is the "original" of the old Swazey Hotel at Bodie, processed to an IR look back over a year ago, and below it the blended result using two textures, my homebrew of Uwe's script (looks like I'll be buying it from you, Uwe!), and resizing to square.

It's going above freezing here today with a forecast of some sun so I'm hoping to get out and shoot this afternoon with some of this in mind. The snow covered fields, farms and woods nearby hold some promise.

Now to build up a library of different textures and images for blending.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I've been following this thread and decided to try using the basic technique of Uwe's script and the stretching that Mike used in his lovely stitched image.

First is the "original" of the old Swazey Hotel at Bodie, processed to an IR look back over a year ago, and below it the blended result using two textures, my homebrew of Uwe's script (looks like I'll be buying it from you, Uwe!), and resizing to square.

It's going above freezing here today with a forecast of some sun so I'm hoping to get out and shoot this afternoon with some of this in mind. The snow covered fields, farms and woods nearby hold some promise.

Works great. Yes, textures are as important now. They can make or break the blend.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member

I like what you did with this image Bob. And yes it is important to start building a library of textures. When you get one you like, try mixing it with other textures to make variations. What I like about this image and the one you did earlier was that the textures are subtle.

Mike

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
3 Swans in the Valtava

Here is the progression of this image. I'm not sure if I went to far with this, but it really illustrates my idea of creating after the initial shot.

Starting image

first effort. I cloned out some of the foreground swans and added texture.

once again. This time I stretched the image to a square and repositioned the Swans. My favorite, I think.

Started to get a bit wild with the layers of textures. I was after an abstract painting feel.

This one is cropped in tight and with different background textures.

Mike

ustein

Contributing Editor
Maybe 3 swans are too much for my taste.

Yes 4 is a bit wild and maybe 3 not wild enough.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Maybe 3 swans are too much for my taste.

Yes 4 is a bit wild and maybe 3 not wild enough.
I need to spend more time with the heavy textured ones. But, I do like 3, maybe I could add more, but I wanted this one to be bright.

Mike

m3photo

Re: 3 Swans in the Valtava

This time I stretched the image to a square and repositioned the Swans.
Nice one (by the way forget my question over on the blend forum about the lensbaby!)
Hmm, I'd do one of two things here with the swans. Either use Content-aware Scaling in Photoshop, which looks easy but isn't, or just select them, and copy them into the stretched image afterwards and they'll look much better.