Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung's mirrorless APS sensored camera

Post Thanks / Like

Samsung's mirrorless APS sensored camera

This looks pretty good. I was using a older Nikon N65 SLR the other day (kind of like a thin Nikon D50) and liked the thin body feel. This seems to have that attribute.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/samsungnx10/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Samsung's mirrorless APS sensored camera

For me the missing swivel LCD and no 1080p would be show stoppers.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Much anticipated and a very welcome system!

The OLED screen (despite the absence of the swivel type TFT screen in G1) is going to be something to be happy about.

It remains to be seen how the 14MP APS-C sensor would behave for imaging.

Excellent news, indeed!

Post Thanks / Like

>Excellent news, indeed!

Yes, but for me more in the sense that it may spur a healthy competition and forces Panasonic to improve soon.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want a G1 type cam with an APS-C s-CMOS sensor capable of imaging in the UV, Visible and IR.

Good to see Samsung are introducing a near complete system, with flashes and all.

Very ambitious and I wish the best for them.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

OLED display is cool. GH1 still wins, *much* bigger viewfinder, full HD, stereo, swivel LCD, better interface.

Longer flange length will make adapters for some legacy lenses a bit more difficult to design, and the larger sensor will probably make for worse edge performance with RF lenses. That is, if Samsung has a 'shoot without lens' option (not noted in the preview.)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the Samsung looks very interesting, but I'm not a fan of Samsung electronics, had a laptop from them and it went up in smoke for no reason, and our Samsung LCD TV has been fixed 3 or 4 times in the 2 or 3 years we've had it! lol

But to be honest the Samsung looks very promising, but I expect a few more cameras to come out from Olympus and Panasonic - it's the begining of a very exciting time for camera technology!

Wouldnt be suprised if Olymus + Panny manage to further shrink their cameras, the Samsung inevitably is always going to be bigger because of the lense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The question in my mind is whether we are looking at another vhs vs. betamax.

Oly and Panny have invested much in the 4/3s world yet it is inevitable that the goal would be for small mirror-less cameras with full frame sensors. Now we are seeing the next evolution towards that goal with the X1 and the NX10 (funny how similar their monikers are).

Will 4/3s be left in the dustbin or will their jumpstart allow them to live harmoniously with the advances other manufacturers are sure to make?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    The question in my mind is whether we are looking at another vhs vs. betamax.

Oly and Panny have invested much in the 4/3s world yet it is inevitable that the goal would be for small mirror-less cameras with full frame sensors. Now we are seeing the next evolution towards that goal with the X1 and the NX10 (funny how similar their monikers are).

Will 4/3s be left in the dustbin or will their jumpstart allow them to live harmoniously with the advances other manufacturers are sure to make?
    My guess is that all entry-level cameras will be mirrorless in three years. No mirror, no mechanism, no expensive penta prism. That kind of economic advantage cannot be overlooked.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I found the preview at DPReview interesting for its notable omissions. They've had the sample for a couple of months but there are no samples or real information of how well it operates (speedy or slow)

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh ... the anti-G1 sledgeing continues

The current pin-up of the Micro Four Thirds crowd, the Olympus PEN, created the biggest buzz of 2009 thanks to its unique retro styling (and by the mere fact it was the first mirrorless interchangeable camera).
    how short are peoples memories?

Post Thanks / Like

but I am very happy to see this little samsung around. For one thing it will smarten up competition just that wee bit and prevent any "we've got the market cornered" pricing on products.

looks nice too!

PS and I love that little spirit level included

Post Thanks / Like

Samsung was just stupid to have gone at it alone instead of maintaining partnership with Pentax. It would be much easier to get people on board with a Pentax AF compatible mount (there's an adapter but it is not supposed to AF...like micro 4/3 it will probably have adapters for all types of mounts, but it would have been smarted to have at least 1 that AFs). Also,they would have benefited from brand tradition and loyalty of Pentax users. Size wise it's just a tiny bit smaller than the G1 and it doesn't offer the same awesome pancakes (the 17mm and the 20mm are simply awesome and VERY compact). They has a 42mm f2.0, which is nice....but the 20mm is f1.7!
    Obviously the supposed benefits should be better dynamic range (which is actually THE main benefit for me) and high iso (for the type of photography that I do I don't have a lot of complains from the E-P1 in this field)...BUT when the NX10 comes out there will probably be more micro 4/3 cameras and lenses out. And much like when DSLR first started, sensors evolve and get better. I'm 100% sure that with time the micro 4/3 system will offer the same iso performance and dynamic range as larger sensor DSLR. At The the moment the NX system needs a couple of things to get me to change systems: competitive price, visibly better IQ than the micro 4/3 system, smaller body, more lenses (and smaller ones).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >Excellent news, indeed!

Yes, but for me more in the sense that it may spur a healthy competition and forces Panasonic to improve soon.
    I feel the same way. I hope this boosts Oly, Pana to improve their sensors to match the IQ of full sized sensors (it WILL eventually happen, and at a faster pace than it took full sized DSLR sensors to evolve) and other companies to jump in the micro 4/3 boat. There has been a lot of talk of a Fuji micro 4/3...which could REALLY stir up competition if they come up with a smart implementation of their EXR sensor (which expands dynamic range and high iso performance...exactly what the full sized sensor cameras have going on on their favor at the moment).

There's also the distant and not much likely dream that maybe one day we can see a foveon micro 4/3 .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Competition is great. As mentioned in this thread, the introduction of the Samsung & maybe other APC sensor manufacturers with EVF cameras will force Olympus and Panasonic to innovate to compete. I read in a thread that someone thought a great idea would be to replace the built in flash in the GFI with a EVF. While I love my G1, a GF with a built-in EVF & and maybe an articulating LCD -- While I prefer smaller and lighter but I want it with a built in EVF not an accessory add-on. Who knows? Maybe an improved sensor, some few more fast primes, 1080 video and some price reductions. M4/3 can prosper, survive and grow market share if Olympus and Panasonic innovate.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have changed my mind about the pop-ups. I want them now.

I am putting the pop up on the G1 to very good use using modifiers.

G1's design is just superb compared to the rest.

A shame that the NX does not have a swivel LED screen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    but I am very happy to see this little samsung around. For one thing it will smarten up competition just that wee bit and prevent any "we've got the market cornered" pricing on products.

looks nice too!

PS and I love that little spirit level included
    Yes, I find that the electronic levels on the Oly cams are pretty useful. I can't see where the NX has anything similar though? where did you see mention of a spirit level?

Cheers

Brian

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Longer flange length will make adapters for some legacy lenses a bit more difficult to design, and the larger sensor will probably make for worse edge performance with RF lenses. That is, if Samsung has a 'shoot without lens' option (not noted in the preview.)
    In DPreview's comprehensive listing of the menu options a "shoot without lens" item seems (as monza suggested) to be missing. I've been looking forward to the Samsung NX-10 official announcement but lack of support for MF legacy lenses would be a total deal-breaker for me.

I came late to m4/3rds and I'm wondering if the "shoot without lens" option was available when the G1 first shipped? Or was it added later in a firmware upgrade? I can't believe that the NX-10 doesn't support legacy lenses -- surely that would be an incomprehensible omission on Samsung's part, given that the Panasonic and Olympus cameras provide it. Or is the the use of legacy lenses on m4/3rds cameras just a niche interest and its apparent popularity merely due to the echo chamber?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I had an 11mm f2.8, 40mm f1.4, and perhaps 57mm f1.2 plus 85mm f1.8 native m4/3rds prime lenses, I'd be happy to retire my legacy lenses.

Until then, the ability to mount and focus great quality, cheap legacy lenses is pretty important.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    (...)
    I came late to m4/3rds and I'm wondering if the "shoot without lens" option was available when the G1 first shipped? Or was it added later in a firmware upgrade? I can't believe that the NX-10 doesn't support legacy lenses --
    The option was there from start.
    I wouldn't worry about this. All my SLR cameras have been able to "shoot without lens" without having to tell them to do so in a menu. The option in the µ4/3 cameras is not a necessity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I can't see where the NX has anything similar though? where did you see mention of a spirit level?
    Douh!

I saw the image of the AF assist lamp here and thought it was a spirit level (hopeful thinking I guess)

still ... it would be nice :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Douh!

I saw the image of the AF assist lamp here and thought it was a spirit level (hopeful thinking I guess)

Yes, it would have been nice

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see more competitors entering the market. Let's hope the big ones are joining soon. If Leica only decided to launch a Digilux 2/1 to compete in this market segment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not sure what the X1 says about Leica's interest in EVIL cams... for my money, Sony is the one to watch.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh ... the anti-G1 sledgeing continues
    how short are peoples memories?
    I had to go back and find this quote--I hoped they wouldn't be that forgetful-- LOL. In truth, the quote is "and by the mere fact it was the first rangefinder style mirrorless interchangeable camera". Its the 'rangefinder' that is the defining word in there--thus leaving out the G1.

Post Thanks / Like

Douh!

Spirit levels are like slide rules, completely antique. All that can be done in the firmware now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I had to go back and find this quote--I hoped they wouldn't be that forgetful-- LOL. In truth, the quote is "and by the mere fact it was the first rangefinder style mirrorless interchangeable camera". Its the 'rangefinder' that is the defining word in there--thus leaving out the G1.
    But to be honest your quote is taken from a moment after SJ changed the text. "rangefinder style" wasn't there from the start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Competition

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Yes, but for me more in the sense that it may spur a healthy competition ...
    I long for the day when Voigtländer and/or Contax come up with digital rangefinders to counter the M8 (and its price).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    But to be honest your quote is taken from a moment after SJ changed the text. "rangefinder style" wasn't there from the start.
    Creative correction there! instead of acknowledging that G1 was the first - a sneaky insertion of 'rangefinder' gets the job done

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Creative correction there! instead of acknowledging that G1 was the first - a sneaky insertion of 'rangefinder' gets the job done
    But that was expected, wasn't it; they have a quite "creative" approach to a lot of things at the DPR office.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, well---I just read it this morning for the first. It was there when I read it LOL.

It was an interesting read, but there are a number of things missing for me--as for others it appears. We'll see how it does and what it spurs Oly and Panny to do--if anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    (...) We'll see how it does and what it spurs Oly and Panny to do--if anything.
    That's the real question, isn't it?
    I have hopes for a mirrorless rangefinder style camera with a good EVF, articulating LCD screen and a big sensor. Seeing how LIVE cameras have been a success (read µ4/3) they are now followed by a first attempt from the APS-C crowd. That can only be good.
    Seeing how the LIVE cameras have been a bit on the expensive (read µ4/3) side some competition can be good only.
    And so on...

regards,

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Spirit levels are like slide rules, completely antique. All that can be done in the firmware now.
    well, not without the right hardware inside ;-)

you can't make anything you like in firmware without the right hardware to back it up ... For example I understood that that the orientation sensor on the Panasonic is in the lens not the body.

Software is cunning stuff, but its not magic.

not to say I don't desire the coupling of orientation sensors and artifical horizons but a bubble level is quite cheap (if perhaps less useful).

Post Thanks / Like

yes, and probably because at least I emailed them with that point

:-)

Post Thanks / Like

But that was expected, wasn't it; they have a quite "creative" approach to a lot of things at the DPR office.
    ... yes they do don't they. I'd want to complain, but that would be

still, the cunning insert is meaningless as the Samsung isn't a rangefinder camera (any more than the EP is).

sigh ... still, that's marketing! None the less the site remains valuable as long as you can understand to remove the subtle tint they place on things.

Post Thanks / Like

A bit OT, but I thought it interesting that they felt the 'buzz' of the EP1 because of the rangefinder styling created the interest in m4/3rds--and feel the NX10 and G1/GH1 are conservatively styled (DLSR like). The implication I get is that DLSR styled mirrorless cameras won't do as well in the marketplace as smaller/slimmer, flashier 'retro' bodiesl And yet---look at the poll here for favorite in m4/3rds camera. Of course the poll displays biases and we don't represent the total market in any way, but--in reading people's comments, it comes down to what I feel--if I could have only one m4/3rds, it would be the G1/GH1.

I've also understood that the G1/GH1 were right near the top for favorite cameras in Japan--that's what Panny hoped I know, but I wonder if its not that it offers more for the money in the end and still gives a small/light body. (I might have spent more time considering this--but these are my first impressions).

Diane

thearne3

hmmm......

Did they also insert the reference to the G1 in the very first paragraph?

"Around a year ago the Panasonic G1 ushered in a new era of 'mirrorless' interchangeable lens system cameras..."

There may be a bias at DPR (hey, we're all human!), and, like Diane, I only read the story a few minutes ago...

...but it seems to me the article gives credit where credit is due.

Count me in for:

1. Applauding the competition
    2. Still preferring the more traditional size/feel of the E-P1/GF1 - a lot like my OM-2.

My 2 cents.

Best,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing about dpreview articles... they get hammered to death with feedback from the forums. Free proofreading by thousands!

Just leave any new article a couple of days to 'mature' and all will be better

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brian, That comes with the territory. No sympathies whatsoever. What is their objective? Cash, isn't it? This isn't some free public service.

So, it is imperative that they get their mundane facts straight or get criticized for the mistakes.

It is sad that Samsung would choose to advertise their new camera via dp revs and such outlets.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to learn the NX register distance should allow Olympus Pen lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A samples gallery has now been posted. I'm not on a great monitor and didn't download the images but they looked very nice to me at screen size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They look OK for dpreview samples - I'd rather get my hands on some raw files to have a proper look.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Just reviewed the Samsung NX-10 images on dpreview.

Look pretty good to me. Nice detail in the chimney shot of the wood grain, and knot. Some of the grass on the landscape shot could be a little more defined. Noise of piano keyboard noticeable with both luminescent, and chromatic type both present (iso 1600).

Overall, not a bad first image collection considering both the body, and lens were early pre-production models.

This larger APS-C competitor may shake the troops at Panasonic, and Olympus. Although the improved dynamic range, and noise profile of this larger sensor have yet to be proven.

Need some serious, and objective testing.

I wonder what Leica is thinking about the pricey and fixed lens X-1???

We need pricing, and availability info ASAP.

Martin

P.S. Agree with Brian about the need for some RAW files for more accurate evaluation.

wblynch

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    ... Now we are seeing the next evolution towards that goal with the X1 and the NX10 (funny how similar their monikers are).
    Must be that "subliminal advertising" at work.

Perhaps the mind turns 'NX10' into 'N0 X1' ~~

Post Thanks / Like

To wblynch

Very clever.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Random comments to other's posts and a few of my own thoughts (as if anyone cares ):

- Usability in the DPR preview: They do at least mention it has a snappy CDAF that compares favorably with the GF1 even in this early firmware version.

- High ISO/DR: It is 14.3MP vs. 12MP with about a 1.25 crop factor so the pixel area is actually very similar between the NX and G1/GH1/GF1/EP-1/EP-2. No real native advantage to ISO/DR in this case, slight advantage in resolution. I think various other sensor design trade-offs will always trump the tiny theoretical advantage between APS-C and m43 sensor sizes.

- EVF appears to be a disappointment. I mean the G1/GH1 pulled off an EVF with a size that bests every APS-C DSLR and nearly matches many FF DSLRs. That's one of the benefits of EVFs, you can make 'em BIG!

- New display technology is definitely interesting, but after using the G1 on a couple trips now I've become a complete convert to articulating LCDs (with an EVF as well). For me it has gone from "silly gimmick" (before I'd used one) to "must have".

- The limits of a new proprietary lens system from scratch is going to put off a chunk of the market place. On the flip side, I suspect a surprising number of entry level Nikon/Canon users never get past th 18-55/55-200 combo. But if you complain about the m43 lens selection don't even start with the NX!

- Hurray for competition! Really, even if the NX proves to be of no value at all what I really read in the DPR preview was that there are many more EVILs from other manufactures on the way. Very good news for all us consumers. For me, until a FF EVIL comes out I'm probably going to stick with m43 - it hits the size/weight/IQ trade-off just about perfectly for me and for my landscape shooting the lens lineup is already fine as it is.

- As someone else said, no "shoot w/o lens" menu option is nothing to worry about. None of my Canons have such silliness and they work fine with any old lens (or no lens) without having to set a menu option.

- Someone on another forum (I think a DPR thread I was in) pointed out if it does handle old MF lenses well that it will be a bit easier to find legacy lenses with a wide FOV on a APS-C vs. m43. Also, from the DPR preview it sounds like they need to change the firmware to make MF actually workable (not enough zoom it sounds like).

- This is a completely personal thing to me, but I actually like shooting 4x5 aspect ratio the most and so going with the 3:2 sensor size doesn't do much for me. I understand many long time 35mm and DSLR users have come to think 3:2 is the "magic" aspect ratio but I guess they've never shot a portrait orientation before . Complete personal preference obviously, but again speaks well of the GH1s true multi-aspect approach.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh View Post
    - EVF appears to be a disappointment. I mean the G1/GH1 pulled off an EVF with a size that bests every APS-C DSLR and nearly matches many FF DSLRs. That's one of the benefits of EVFs, you can make 'em BIG!

Ken
    G1 EVF is second biggest among FF cameras after Canon D1. The third is Sony A900. Actually they could have made it even bigger, but then one needs to literally "look around" in his field of view. Seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

I was not too impressed with the iso 1600 samples.
    Quesabesde just posted the price that Samsung Spain has provided them. It's supposed to be around 650€ and it should be available in march.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the lens register distance on NX10?
    anyone knows?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I heard 25mm