The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Samsung's mirrorless APS sensored camera

V

Vivek

Much anticipated and a very welcome system!:)

The OLED screen (despite the absence of the swivel type TFT screen in G1) is going to be something to be happy about.

It remains to be seen how the 14MP APS-C sensor would behave for imaging.

Excellent news, indeed! :thumbs:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Excellent news, indeed!

Yes, but for me more in the sense that it may spur a healthy competition and forces Panasonic to improve soon.

V

Vivek

I want a G1 type cam with an APS-C s-CMOS sensor capable of imaging in the UV, Visible and IR.;):)

Good to see Samsung are introducing a near complete system, with flashes and all.

Very ambitious and I wish the best for them.

monza

OLED display is cool. GH1 still wins, *much* bigger viewfinder, full HD, stereo, swivel LCD, better interface.

Longer flange length will make adapters for some legacy lenses a bit more difficult to design, and the larger sensor will probably make for worse edge performance with RF lenses. That is, if Samsung has a 'shoot without lens' option (not noted in the preview.)

vincechu

Wow, the Samsung looks very interesting, but I'm not a fan of Samsung electronics, had a laptop from them and it went up in smoke for no reason, and our Samsung LCD TV has been fixed 3 or 4 times in the 2 or 3 years we've had it! lol

But to be honest the Samsung looks very promising, but I expect a few more cameras to come out from Olympus and Panasonic - it's the begining of a very exciting time for camera technology!

Wouldnt be suprised if Olymus + Panny manage to further shrink their cameras, the Samsung inevitably is always going to be bigger because of the lense.

The question in my mind is whether we are looking at another vhs vs. betamax.

Oly and Panny have invested much in the 4/3s world yet it is inevitable that the goal would be for small mirror-less cameras with full frame sensors. Now we are seeing the next evolution towards that goal with the X1 and the NX10 (funny how similar their monikers are).

Will 4/3s be left in the dustbin or will their jumpstart allow them to live harmoniously with the advances other manufacturers are sure to make?

RichA

The question in my mind is whether we are looking at another vhs vs. betamax.

Oly and Panny have invested much in the 4/3s world yet it is inevitable that the goal would be for small mirror-less cameras with full frame sensors. Now we are seeing the next evolution towards that goal with the X1 and the NX10 (funny how similar their monikers are).

Will 4/3s be left in the dustbin or will their jumpstart allow them to live harmoniously with the advances other manufacturers are sure to make?
My guess is that all entry-level cameras will be mirrorless in three years. No mirror, no mechanism, no expensive penta prism. That kind of economic advantage cannot be overlooked.

Terry

I found the preview at DPReview interesting for its notable omissions. They've had the sample for a couple of months but there are no samples or real information of how well it operates (speedy or slow)

pellicle

Ahhh ... the anti-G1 sledgeing continues

The current pin-up of the Micro Four Thirds crowd, the Olympus PEN, created the biggest buzz of 2009 thanks to its unique retro styling (and by the mere fact it was the first mirrorless interchangeable camera).
how short are peoples memories?

pellicle

but I am very happy to see this little samsung around. For one thing it will smarten up competition just that wee bit and prevent any "we've got the market cornered" pricing on products.

looks nice too!

PS and I love that little spirit level included

Rawfa

Samsung was just stupid to have gone at it alone instead of maintaining partnership with Pentax. It would be much easier to get people on board with a Pentax AF compatible mount (there's an adapter but it is not supposed to AF...like micro 4/3 it will probably have adapters for all types of mounts, but it would have been smarted to have at least 1 that AFs). Also,they would have benefited from brand tradition and loyalty of Pentax users. Size wise it's just a tiny bit smaller than the G1 and it doesn't offer the same awesome pancakes (the 17mm and the 20mm are simply awesome and VERY compact). They has a 42mm f2.0, which is nice....but the 20mm is f1.7!
Obviously the supposed benefits should be better dynamic range (which is actually THE main benefit for me) and high iso (for the type of photography that I do I don't have a lot of complains from the E-P1 in this field)...BUT when the NX10 comes out there will probably be more micro 4/3 cameras and lenses out. And much like when DSLR first started, sensors evolve and get better. I'm 100% sure that with time the micro 4/3 system will offer the same iso performance and dynamic range as larger sensor DSLR. At The the moment the NX system needs a couple of things to get me to change systems: competitive price, visibly better IQ than the micro 4/3 system, smaller body, more lenses (and smaller ones).

Rawfa

>Excellent news, indeed!

Yes, but for me more in the sense that it may spur a healthy competition and forces Panasonic to improve soon.
I feel the same way. I hope this boosts Oly, Pana to improve their sensors to match the IQ of full sized sensors (it WILL eventually happen, and at a faster pace than it took full sized DSLR sensors to evolve) and other companies to jump in the micro 4/3 boat. There has been a lot of talk of a Fuji micro 4/3...which could REALLY stir up competition if they come up with a smart implementation of their EXR sensor (which expands dynamic range and high iso performance...exactly what the full sized sensor cameras have going on on their favor at the moment).

There's also the distant and not much likely dream that maybe one day we can see a foveon micro 4/3 :D.

Howard

Competition is great. As mentioned in this thread, the introduction of the Samsung & maybe other APC sensor manufacturers with EVF cameras will force Olympus and Panasonic to innovate to compete. I read in a thread that someone thought a great idea would be to replace the built in flash in the GFI with a EVF. While I love my G1, a GF with a built-in EVF & and maybe an articulating LCD -- While I prefer smaller and lighter but I want it with a built in EVF not an accessory add-on. Who knows? Maybe an improved sensor, some few more fast primes, 1080 video and some price reductions. M4/3 can prosper, survive and grow market share if Olympus and Panasonic innovate.

V

Vivek

I have changed my mind about the pop-ups. I want them now.

I am putting the pop up on the G1 to very good use using modifiers.

G1's design is just superb compared to the rest.

A shame that the NX does not have a swivel LED screen.

Brian Mosley

but I am very happy to see this little samsung around. For one thing it will smarten up competition just that wee bit and prevent any "we've got the market cornered" pricing on products.

looks nice too!

PS and I love that little spirit level included
Yes, I find that the electronic levels on the Oly cams are pretty useful. I can't see where the NX has anything similar though? where did you see mention of a spirit level?

Cheers

Brian

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Longer flange length will make adapters for some legacy lenses a bit more difficult to design, and the larger sensor will probably make for worse edge performance with RF lenses. That is, if Samsung has a 'shoot without lens' option (not noted in the preview.)
In DPreview's comprehensive listing of the menu options a "shoot without lens" item seems (as monza suggested) to be missing. I've been looking forward to the Samsung NX-10 official announcement but lack of support for MF legacy lenses would be a total deal-breaker for me.

I came late to m4/3rds and I'm wondering if the "shoot without lens" option was available when the G1 first shipped? Or was it added later in a firmware upgrade? I can't believe that the NX-10 doesn't support legacy lenses -- surely that would be an incomprehensible omission on Samsung's part, given that the Panasonic and Olympus cameras provide it. Or is the the use of legacy lenses on m4/3rds cameras just a niche interest and its apparent popularity merely due to the echo chamber?

Brian Mosley

If I had an 11mm f2.8, 40mm f1.4, and perhaps 57mm f1.2 plus 85mm f1.8 native m4/3rds prime lenses, I'd be happy to retire my legacy lenses.

Until then, the ability to mount and focus great quality, cheap legacy lenses is pretty important.

Cheers

Brian

Jonas

(...)
I came late to m4/3rds and I'm wondering if the "shoot without lens" option was available when the G1 first shipped? Or was it added later in a firmware upgrade? I can't believe that the NX-10 doesn't support legacy lenses --
The option was there from start.
I wouldn't worry about this. All my SLR cameras have been able to "shoot without lens" without having to tell them to do so in a menu. The option in the µ4/3 cameras is not a necessity.