The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m4/3 lenses with future mirrorless FF?

photoSmart42

So I fully realize that the MF lenses we're using with our m4/3 cameras get cropped by a factor of 2. I'm wondering if that's true of the Pana/Oly m4/3 lenses we're using. In other words, if one day soon Pana/Oly decided to come out with a mirrorless FF version of the GH1, for example, would our existing m4/3 lenses have full sensor coverage? I imaging the old MF lenses probably would.

J

JihM

I don't believe so. The 4/3 specification, if I understand correctly, fills the same sensor area of the lens that a FF sensor would for a FF lens. This is what allows m4/3 and 4/3 lenses to be more compact and lighter...less glass used.

V

Vivek

They barely cover the 4/3rds sensor now....:rolleyes:

I do not foresee any danger of Matshu****a coming up with a larger sensor.

photoSmart42

Gotcha. That's what I figured, but wanted to check anyway. Hopefully when someone does come out with a mirrorless FF we'll be able to fit all our MF lenses to it with adapters better than we can with the current FF bodies.