The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What software for GH1?

Diane B

Get a LR 2 trial. Especially for beginners beta version can be tricky. If something goes bad there is not even a way to complain.

I use many beta products every day but I also have a very good backup workflow.

And--there are some issues with the beta. I can't open the print module. After installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc.---asking for help on LR beta forum--we haven't found anything. I haver a very straightforward setup--and have participated in LR betas since 1.0 without any problems.

I would dl the 2.6 30 day demo to begin with. I work with LR daily and really like it--thus I'm a bit frustrated that I can't try the print module, but anticipate the final version (and I agree--I bet there will be at least one more iteration of the beta and probably not a final version until later in the Spring--and of course, this is what beta's are for---to iron out the problems) will work fine. I wouldn't trust important files to a beta--and Adobe recommends this also.

Lots of tutes online--and a web based class would work fine too.

Diane

Godfrey

... Ah, one more reason for choosing Lightroom rather than Aperture. It looked to me as if there was much more support for the former--more books in the bookstore, more online forums, just more sources to draw on when I couldn't find answers.
A principle reason not to choose Aperture for the GH1 (or G1, or GF1, or E-P1 or E-P2) is that Aperture does not at present support their raw files, or even DNG files made from their raw files.

slau

My shooting buddy, who was a dead hard Aperture fan for years, has recently decided to go to Lightroom as he gave up the hope of Aperture supporting the raw files of his GF1/G1. Not sure what Apple engineers are thinking. The new Aperture 3 will support the brand new Canon 1DMk4 but not the over an year old G1. ?????

apicius9

A few follow up questions on this, if you don't mind:

I went to a very good Lightroom workshop yesterday and I am convinced that this is really a great basic solution for me to keep my pics organized and do basic processing - thanks again everyone for recommending that! I am still setting up my new computer, so the timing is also perfect to start organizing everything from scratch. I still have to decide whether to dare using the beta version at this point or pay for 2.6 now and then again when the new one comes out...

But I also realized the limitations of LR in the workshop, and, of course, the instructor took it as a given that we all would use Photoshop to do the 'real' work. My feeling is still that PS is overkill for what I want to do (and it doesn't come cheap either), so I was wondering whether a combination of LR and Photoshop/Premiere Elements 8 would make sense - assuming that Premiere would also work to deal with the videos of the GH1. Is anybody using this combination? How well do they work together? I haven't seen any LR plugins for Elements, do they exist?

And lastly, I finally understood what HDR means and would like to at least keep this option open. I can get Photomatix (recommended by my workshop instructor) for a reasonable price with an academic discount - would that work as an addition to the combo above?

I always had this delusion that the basic needs should be handled by one program, but it looks like I won't get around diving into a few more if I really want to do the next steps. Or maybe I am getting to an 'advanced needs' level already...

Thanks,

Stefan