Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Olympus-Pen 20mm f/3.5?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Olympus-Pen 20mm f/3.5?

    Is anyone using this lens on m4/3? The Pana 20/1.7 would seem to have made it obsolete, but I find myself using other cameras for street photography, as there's no distance scale on the 20/1.7. If you have any photos taken with it on an m4/3 camera, please post them.

    And while I'm at it, what's the best among the Pen-F-to-m4/3 adapters? My RJ one works fine, but it's very slightly wobbly on the mount. I find myself using these lenses enough on m4/3 that I'd like a more solid adapter.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus-Pen 20mm f/3.5?

    (I've never tried the Pen 20mm lens.)
    Like you I have an RJ Pen->4/3 adapter. It is absolutely fine. I suggest you mail RJ and have it exchanged. A wobbly adapter is irritating, I guess something bad happened to your one during manufacturing.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus-Pen 20mm f/3.5?

    Hmm. Honestly I've waited too long to justify asking for an exchange...I just didn't expect to like using these lenses so much.

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus-Pen 20mm f/3.5?

    I like the 20/3.5 very much, I believe Cindy Flood also uses one.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Olympus-Pen 20mm f/3.5?

    I am still looking for one. My budget is ~$175-200 for one (clean glass, cosmetics do not matter).

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus-Pen 20mm f/3.5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I am still looking for one. My budget is ~$175-200 for one (clean glass, cosmetics do not matter).
    That right there's the problem--they're easy enough to find if you can raise the budget to $300. But that seems a little bit pricey to me.

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus-Pen 20mm f/3.5?

    Not really, for a nice copy. It's a collector lens, so the entry is higher, but then again when it's selling time you get it all back.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus-Pen 20mm f/3.5?

    That's how I justified the 60/1.5! Though that one is really special, I think, above and beyond its collector status.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus-Pen 20mm f/3.5?

    Quote Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
    Hmm. Honestly I've waited too long to justify asking for an exchange...I just didn't expect to like using these lenses so much.
    That was unfortunate. And yes, the Pen lenses are easy to like.

    Quote Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
    That right there's the problem--they're easy enough to find if you can raise the budget to $300. But that seems a little bit pricey to me.
    I have started seeing lens prices (buy-sell) as rental fees. I lose on some, get a decent ratio on some and a few even made me some money cover the shipping for a couple of other ones... I mean, finding a good copy and using it for a couple of thousands or so of exposures and then net a "loss" of USD 50-100 in the worst case isn't too bad.

    imho,

    /Jonas

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus-Pen 20mm f/3.5?

    Exactly, Jonas.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus-Pen 20mm f/3.5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    I have started seeing lens prices (buy-sell) as rental fees. I lose on some, get a decent ratio on some and a few even made me some money cover the shipping for a couple of other ones... I mean, finding a good copy and using it for a couple of thousands or so of exposures and then net a "loss" of USD 50-100 in the worst case isn't too bad.
    Same here. That's especially true with some of the older lenses that don't really lose their value much (or sometimes go up). For the most part I've gotten some really good deals on the lenses I bought the past few months, so I'm pretty sure I can recover most of that cost if I decide to sell them and get something else.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •