The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

14-140 instead of 14-45 & 45-200?

Roel

I'd rather have Nikon's 18-200mm converted to the 4/3rds sensor format than the overpriced Panasonic stuff.
I own both the Nikon and the Panny superzooms... the Panny 14-140mm is *much* better (sharper, faster to focus). I was suprised to find that out, but it is true.

ustein

Contributing Editor
First I thought to sell the 45-200mm but will now keep it (we have a G1 and GH1 and both may want to use a tele zoom).

G1 + 45-200mm (1/9/2010)

slau

I was thinking to get the 45-200 with my G1 + 14-45. After I got my GH1 + 14-140, I no longer want the 45-200. Actually my 14-45 does not even see too much daylight after I got my 20f1.7 and started using my Zeiss 50f1.4 & Minolta M-Rokkor 40f2 with my G1. But, the most used lens on my G1/GH1 is no doubt the 14-140 by a big margin. The relative smaller form factor of the G1/GH1 and the convenience of using one super zoom lens fits me to have a back up to my Canon system.

If I have the 14-140, 20f1.7, Zeiss 50f1.5 & the Minolta 40f2, I will have no need for the other two Panasonic zoom lenses, which are actually very decent lenses.

Especially when you are doing video, the 14-140 is very nice and quiet.

apicius9

Oh man, just when I thought I was done spending money on equipment for a while. :) I had the same thoughts and my rationalization always was that the 14-140 is just a bit slow to justify the cost. And while I appreciate the video option in the GH1, it is only a minor criterium in my decision-making. Now, reading all this and seeing the thread with great pictures from this lens, I am wondering again... Some years ago, I really loved my little Pana FZ7 for its versatility at the time, and getting the 14-140 would bring that back, just on a higher level. I always saw myself as someone who loves tele shots, but I find myself using the 45-200 very rarely since I got it - may have to do with the fact that I am too lazy to switch lenses enough... . I do like the 14-45 very much but keeping them all AND getting the 14-140 is just not an option right now.

Sorry, just indecisive rambling. Right now, I mostly carry around the 14-45, 45-200, 20, Summicron 50 and the c-mount lens of the day. Cutting it back to 4 instead of 5 lenses for the 'small' outfit does certainly have some appeal.

Stefan