Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The main flaws of all micro 4/3rds cameras

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The main flaws of all micro 4/3rds cameras

Quote Originally Posted by compositor20 View Post
    and they should make a atialaising filter like the e-p1 at least or beetween gf-1 and e-p1 (gf-1 has serious false colour and maze artefacts that make high iso look worse
    I understood that the maze artifacts were from an issue related to demosiac not anti-alias. They appear even in blue skies which have no details to alias.

For instance dcraw has the -f option to:
    Interpolate RGB as four colors. Use this if the output shows false 2x2 meshes with VNG or mazes with AHD.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe no one has mentioned my top 2 things that need to be fixed on the G1.

1. Make the Scene wheel stay in place. Yaargh, I don't know how many times I have brought the camera up to my eye to take a photo to have it look completely wonky. The reason, because the scene/mode dial has changed from M to CUST or something else. Every time this happens I am thrown off. Please make it so you have to push a center button to move the dial or make it a lot stiffer.

2. Similar to one but with the diopter for the evf. I find it has been moved somehow all the time. Which is very problematic for me because I do a lot of manual focusing. And to top it off there is no marking on the diopter for the zeroed out position. Yaargh again. I don't know how many times I have had huge troubles to get something in focus only to find out the diopter dial has moved, making everything look out of focus. At least I can use the fold out screen to help make sure the diopter is in the right position with the EVF. Otherwise I wouldn't know when it was right.

For me these are the two items that need to be fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

So far the first has never been an issue for me at all. The front dial is the one that I hope they change in G2 (or whatever)making less likely to easily be turned--maybe placing it as on the GF1 which solved it for me in that body. My mode dial on my G1 is not too easily moveable. They could take the film mode button off and leave only the quick menu button and maybe put the dial on the top. I like the GF1's button arrangements better than the G1

For number two, this isn't perhaps the best solution (not really a solution, just an 'aid'). I check the settings, particularly the bottom ones on the screen, and make sure they are sharp for my eyes each time I bring it to my eye since I MF a lot also.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by bavanor View Post
    I can't believe no one has mentioned my top 2 things that need to be fixed on the G1.

1. Make the Scene wheel stay in place. Yaargh, I don't know how many times I have brought the camera up to my eye to take a photo to have it look completely wonky. The reason, because the scene/mode dial has changed from M to CUST or something else. Every time this happens I am thrown off. Please make it so you have to push a center button to move the dial or make it a lot stiffer.

2. Similar to one but with the diopter for the evf. I find it has been moved somehow all the time. Which is very problematic for me because I do a lot of manual focusing. And to top it off there is no marking on the diopter for the zeroed out position. Yaargh again. I don't know how many times I have had huge troubles to get something in focus only to find out the diopter dial has moved, making everything look out of focus. At least I can use the fold out screen to help make sure the diopter is in the right position with the EVF. Otherwise I wouldn't know when it was right.

For me these are the two items that need to be fixed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    I would like my next 4/3 camera to be similar to the G1 as well. I wouldn't mind the EVF to be moved to the left but if they decide to keep the basic form that's fine with me as well.

But, there are several details I want Panasonic, or Olympus, or Fuji (or anyone else) to improve on compared to the G1:

1) Noise. The sensor is small and I guess we all have decided to live with the noise levels. I hope they improve. Above all I hope the blotchy ugly sort of noise in shadow areas will become more film-like (in lack of a better word)

2) A slightly bigger grip. It couldn't possible hurt anyone.

3) Another wheel, at the back of the camera. I don't like the current solution with one wheel doing several things at all

4) Move the front wheel. One can adopt, I know. But why not move it to the top of the grip instead?

5) The flash... please make the flash work with legacy lenses. The current situations is simply stupid.

6) Shorter synch time for flashes. The D70 was made several years ago and...

7) Shorter shutter times. There is nothing wrong with 1/8000.

8) ISO 50 and perhaps even ISO 25. Not for general use but it can be a godsend.

9) A one push manual focusing function. Thank you.

10) An option with 2x or 3x enlarged image when focusing manually. Sometimes 5x is a bit much

11) IBIS - provided it can be turned off, guaranteed to keep the sensor completely still

12) Tougher build, including weather sealing

13) IR remote

14) Improved AF if that is possible

15) Shorter viewfinder black-out between shots

16) A new menu system (similar to current Canon versions?)

17) Electronic level thingie, and an orientation sensor in body

18) One or two buttons totally customable (or similar solution)

19) HDR-function, JPG and raw in-camera and also a more customable bracketing function

20) Averaging function, JPG and raw in-camera

This would probably make the camera a bit bigger. I see no problem with that. Smaller options are available for those liking that.

I have already posted what I think about lenses. Not many liked those ideas. So, I guess these ideas will be rejected as well.

Feel free to post anything I forgot and everything I never came to think of, and that I am an idiot wishing for something nobody else wants to have.

Cheers,

/Jonas

Just showing that opinions on these things can vary a lot, I would not want items 2, 3, and 4 at all. I like it the way it is. Also the menu system is fine with me, even though I use FF Canons and other digital systems as well.

Weather sealing would be great, but not at the expense of a) noticeable increase in size and b) need for new lenses. the latter would certainly be needed, as the extending while zooming lenses are largely unsealable. That would by necessity make them larger.

25 and 50 ISO would be compromised ISO's with lower dynamic range. I have that on some cameras, and IMHO it's pointless. Use ND.

Better burst capability, including a larger buffer would be extremely welcome, as would faster AF and shorter blackout.

Lower noise and greater dynamic range are always welcome. Fuji shows the way.

In body electronic level, orientation sensor and stabilisation would all be great, but in my experience long teles do better with lens stabilisation, so keep that.

One button manual focus would certainly be great; the implementation for non-AF lenses on the GF-1 works well but needs to be expanded somehow to AF lenses.

The other things on your list are not as interesting to me, but are obviously important to some.

If I could have just one improvement, it would definitely be expanded dynamic range. Just can't have enough of that.

While the bodies need improvements, it's the lens range that REALLY needs improvements.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I understand your first point. To use MF assist with AF lenses, I just touch the focus ring while I hold down the shutter button--the magnified version pops up and I can tweak focusing. If I just want to MF, I turn the focus dial to MF and then just touch the focusing ring. But--as I said, I may not have understood your thought.

I probably agree about the DR if I could only have one improvement. And--additions to the lenses are certainly needed, but I can live with what we have for now--plus my MFs.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by henningw View Post

One button manual focus would certainly be great; the implementation for non-AF lenses on the GF-1 works well but needs to be expanded somehow to AF lenses.

If I could have just one improvement, it would definitely be expanded dynamic range. Just can't have enough of that.

While the bodies need improvements, it's the lens range that REALLY needs improvements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your first point. To use MF assist with AF lenses, I just touch the focus ring while I hold down the shutter button--the magnified version pops up and I can tweak focusing. If I just want to MF, I turn the focus dial to MF and then just touch the focusing ring. But--as I said, I may not have understood your thought.

I probably agree about the DR if I could only have one improvement. And--additions to the lenses are certainly needed, but I can live with what we have for now--plus my MFs.

Diane
    I certainly wasn't clear. The problem for me is that as it is implemented now, I can't stand the setup where it goes into magnified manual mode as soon as you touch the focussing ring. It drives me crazy.

What I would like is a one-button way to get into manual focussing when the dial is still set to AF so that you can override the AF when it does stupid things but have the choice of whether or not it magnifies, and then after that shot goes back to AF. This is probably one of those things that some people would like and others prefer the current method.

Henning

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly wasn't clear. The problem for me is that as it is implemented now, I can't stand the setup where it goes into magnified manual mode as soon as you touch the focussing ring. It drives me crazy.

What I would like is a one-button way to get into manual focussing when the dial is still set to AF so that you can override the AF when it does stupid things but have the choice of whether or not it magnifies, and then after that shot goes back to AF. This is probably one of those things that some people would like and others prefer the current method.

Henning
    Gotcha'. Well, I agree, sometimes it drives me nuts too LOL. AND--I would like to be able to get back to the image from MF assist (with AF lenses) without having to use the shutter button (which then makes one use the AF again LOL). Jono brought this up before--and he had come up with a workaround so I'll have to go back and find that thread--or if anyone else has some solution.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Diane, that is a good idea. I haven't thought of doing that, just too focused (or should I say unfocused) on why I can't manually focus correctly. Hah, that is a mouthful of a sentence.

I will try and look at the camera display in the EVF next time I have to adjust the diopter. (you know I am doing this right now, as I am writing this post
    Last edited by bavanor; 12th January 2010 at 13:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Henning
    Yes, count me in on that.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com