Site Sponsors

Thread: GF1 + Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 Macro - Field Test

christan

Talking GF1 + Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 Macro - Field Test

Shot these using Lumix GF1 + Canon FD f/3.5 Macro + Extension Tube + Vivitar 285HV + Hoodloupe 3.0 ...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GF1 + Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 Macro - Field Test

Spectacular!

Post Thanks / Like

HOLY MACARO!!

that first one jumped out at me LOL..these are terrific

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Outstanding Macro's!!

That Vivitar flash looks worthwile.
    Do they all communicate well with the GF1 and G1?
    Thanks for posting.
    Michiel

christan

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    Spectacular!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
    HOLY MACARO!!

that first one jumped out at me LOL..these are terrific
    Hehee .. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Outstanding Macro's!!

That Vivitar flash looks worthwile.
    Do they all communicate well with the GF1 and G1?
    Thanks for posting.
    Michiel
    No, the Vivitar 285HV is a very old flash. Apart from triggering the flash, there's no communication at all, so it takes some work to set some settings manually. I only used it because I already have this flash lying around

Post Thanks / Like

Chris

These are indeed great ... now, do you have any feedback to give on using the GF for this job? I love the angled screen and EVF on my G1 for such (but inferior to your) work.

Post Thanks / Like

Very, very nice shots. The butterfly in the first is exceptional & the head shot of the mantis is impressive.
    Panasonic G1 & GF1 bodies, Panasonic 14-45, 45-200mm, various Minolta, Pentax, Canon FD, M39 & M42 mount lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

simply excellent

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Christan,
    First your macro photos are great. I have a G1 and the same FD 50 3.5 lens. I bought an adapter from an e-bay seller and when I attach my lens to the adapter and the adapter to the camera, I get a message: "Please check that the lens is attached correctly". Is there some adjustment that that you made to the GF1 to the menu system to have the camera recognize that there is an adapter and lens on the camera? Any help would appreciated since I am inspired by your photos with your GF1 and macro lens.

Thanks
    Howard

Post Thanks / Like

Howard

activate the "shoot without lens" option in the menu

:-)

Post Thanks / Like

fantastic macros!!
    http://hodad66.com Sony A7r,A7II, Sony 70-300G, Rokinon 14/2.8, Leitz Wetzler 35/3.5, Leica R Summicron 50/2 & Elmarit 90mm/2.8, Contax N 24-85 & 70--200mm AND Canon FD 20/2.8, 135/2, 500mm 4.5, Minolta 35/1.8, 45mm/2, Nikon 28-50/3.5, 105/1.8, 180/2.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are tremendous.... but g-d, I hate insects.

JT

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful, I wouldn't even know where to find these creatures, let alone take such nice shots of them. And the lens is on my 'sell' list, I may have to reconsider that...

Stefan
    Last edited by apicius9; 7th January 2010 at 11:47.

meilicke

Yes, quite lovely. I too have the canon 3.5 macro (plus tubes), but have yet to try it out. Soon!

Workshop & Subscriber Member manouch shirzad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really nice done, thanks for sharing

Manouch

JJYL430

excellent shots, thanks but ewwwww on some of them bugs :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great images! Amongst the best insect shots I've ever seen.

Any chance you could show us a pic of your camera/flash setup? I have a G1, Nikkor 55/3.5 macro, extension tube and Vivitar 285HV that I might like to try on macro photography.....although it's unlikely I'll ever get results as good as yours.

Gary

christan

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Christan,
    First your macro photos are great. I have a G1 and the same FD 50 3.5 lens. I bought an adapter from an e-bay seller and when I attach my lens to the adapter and the adapter to the camera, I get a message: "Please check that the lens is attached correctly". Is there some adjustment that that you made to the GF1 to the menu system to have the camera recognize that there is an adapter and lens on the camera? Any help would appreciated since I am inspired by your photos with your GF1 and macro lens.

Thanks
    Howard
    Just go to CUSTOM MENU > SHOOT W/O LENS > ON ...

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Chris

These are indeed great ... now, do you have any feedback to give on using the GF for this job? I love the angled screen and EVF on my G1 for such (but inferior to your) work.
    Well, it's not really any different from using my Canon DSLR for macro, except for the lack of an OVF ... shooting under bright sunlight, the LCD isn't really useful for judging focus given the really shallow DOF, which was why I used the hoodloupe ...

Quote Originally Posted by hodad66 View Post
    fantastic macros!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    These are tremendous.... but g-d, I hate insects.
    JT
    LOL ...

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Beautiful, I wouldn't even know where to find these creatures, let alone take such nice shots of them. And the lens is on my 'sell' list, I may have to reconsider that...

Stefan
    Thanks, I found this to be quite a nice macro lens. On micro 4/3, it becomes a 100mm macro ...

Quote Originally Posted by meilicke View Post
    Yes, quite lovely. I too have the canon 3.5 macro (plus tubes), but have yet to try it out. Soon!
    Looking forward to seeing your work

Quote Originally Posted by manouch shirzad View Post
    Really nice done, thanks for sharing

Manouch
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JJYL430 View Post
    excellent shots, thanks but ewwwww on some of them bugs :P
    LOL ...

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Great images! Amongst the best insect shots I've ever seen.

Any chance you could show us a pic of your camera/flash setup? I have a G1, Nikkor 55/3.5 macro, extension tube and Vivitar 285HV that I might like to try on macro photography.....although it's unlikely I'll ever get results as good as yours.

Gary
    Thanks, here's the setup I used for the above pics

BTW, for anyone who's thinking of using the Vivitar flashes, I would highly recommend that you test the trigger voltage with a multimeter first. Some old Vivitars have very high voltage and could fry your cam ... my 285HV had a max voltage of just below 6V ...

Also, just to note that I am using the Vivitar simply because I had a few lying around which I use for strobist shoots. I'm not recommending that ppl who are starting out from scratch to go out and buy a 285HV ... you're probably better off getting a newer flash unit that supports Pana/Oly TTL ...
    Last edited by christan; 7th January 2010 at 19:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Holy cow Chris-- I saw your pic before I saw your disclaimer re: voltage and all I could think was AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, not the hot shoe!!

I use a couple of these old 285HV flashes off-camera for MF, serious workhorses, but I well remember what happened when folks tried to use these old flashes on some of the first digital SLRs before checking the voltage-- real badness and resultant sadness..

Cool rig, I have the same setup as Gary, gotta give this a try. But maybe find another subject, *shiver*.

JT

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, I didn't read well enough. Was wondering why the hoodloupe would be better than the EVF - I thought these were taken with the G1. Thanks for the pic, I have to try that if I ever get another day off I have an older Metz flash that should work (according to their customer service) and one of these blow-up diffusors And I can choose between the Canon FD 50 and the Leica Elmarit 60 macros Now where are these bugs...

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's my understanding (from the article referenced below) that the latest Vivitar 285HV model was redesigned specifically so it would work with digital cameras re voltage requirements, so shouldn't present a problem. Older models of the Vivitar 285 would likely be a problem.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/02...f-classic.html

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chris,

Excellent photos.

Where did you find all these in the middle of a cold winter. It's all covered with snow in the northern hemisphere. We can't even go out.
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

christan

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    Holy cow Chris-- I saw your pic before I saw your disclaimer re: voltage and all I could think was AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, not the hot shoe!!

I use a couple of these old 285HV flashes off-camera for MF, serious workhorses, but I well remember what happened when folks tried to use these old flashes on some of the first digital SLRs before checking the voltage-- real badness and resultant sadness..

Cool rig, I have the same setup as Gary, gotta give this a try. But maybe find another subject, *shiver*.

JT
    LOL .. I've re-edited my earlier reply to bold the disclaimer just in case ...

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Ahh, I didn't read well enough. Was wondering why the hoodloupe would be better than the EVF - I thought these were taken with the G1. Thanks for the pic, I have to try that if I ever get another day off I have an older Metz flash that should work (according to their customer service) and one of these blow-up diffusors And I can choose between the Canon FD 50 and the Leica Elmarit 60 macros Now where are these bugs...

Stefan
    Yeah, without the hoodloupe on the GF1, this would have been a futile attempt given how bright the sun was ... lol

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    It's my understanding (from the article referenced below) that the latest Vivitar 285HV model was redesigned specifically so it would work with digital cameras re voltage requirements, so shouldn't present a problem. Older models of the Vivitar 285 would likely be a problem.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/02...f-classic.html

Gary
    If I recall correctly, there are some 285HV that are high voltage. The 285HV has been around for a really long time ... the one I have is probably from late 80s ...

Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    Chris,

Excellent photos.

Where did you find all these in the middle of a cold winter. It's all covered with snow in the northern hemisphere. We can't even go out.
    Well, I'm in Malaysia ... we have 3 seasons here too ... hot, hotter and hottest ...

Post Thanks / Like

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by christan View Post

Well, it's not really any different from using my Canon DSLR for macro, except for the lack of an OVF ... shooting under bright sunlight, the LCD isn't really useful for judging focus given the really shallow DOF, which was why I used the hoodloupe ...
    ok ... didn't spot that in the post ... and btw I had never heard of the hood loupe.

Now that has me seriously interested.

before I blow $70 on this, how do you find them? I have used some magnifiers on my screens in the past (not that the 20D has a significant screen) only to find that the LCD pixelates badly under the 'magnification'

if these don't magnify but just allow close examination that would be great.

I'd be keen to hear of your experiences.

BTW, for anyone who's thinking of using the Vivitar flashes, I would highly recommend that you test the trigger voltage with a multimeter first. Some old Vivitars have very high voltage and could fry your cam ... my 285HV had a max voltage of just below 6V ...
    thats a good point. I'm using a Metz 32 CT-3 which is great and has both tilt and swivel (but no zoom manual or otherwise) Metz of this model are safe too.

its always good to grab a cheap multi meter and measure the voltage on a flash before trying it on a camera ... you can get one to do the job for about $5 at most cheap hardware stores!

:-)

christan

Christian

ok ... didn't spot that in the post ... and btw I had never heard of the hood loupe.

Now that has me seriously interested.

before I blow $70 on this, how do you find them? I have used some magnifiers on my screens in the past (not that the 20D has a significant screen) only to find that the LCD pixelates badly under the 'magnification'

if these don't magnify but just allow close examination that would be great.

I'd be keen to hear of your experiences.
    Here's what it looks like looking thru the hoodloupe on the GF1 LCD ... Just a note, the slight barrel distortion is actually due to the PnS cam I used to take this pic ...

The hoodloupe turns your 3 inch LCD into a more or less 1 inch viewfinder, so ... no, it doesn't magnify ... the resolution on the GF1's LCD is high enough that you don't really see pixelation ... you can see the pixels, but they're quite tiny dots ...

Another factor that made me decide to get the hoodloupe instead of the LVF is because I can use the hoodloupe with any camera, so it's pretty much future proof. It's also useful for videoing on bigger SLRs, since you can't use the OVF for videoing ...

Post Thanks / Like

Christian

Here's what it looks like looking thru the hoodloupe on the GF1 LCD
    The hoodloupe turns your 3 inch LCD into a more or less 1 inch viewfinder, so ... no, it doesn't magnify ... the resolution on the GF1's LCD is high enough
    ok ... that's interesting. I'm willing to bet it looks better than my old Nikon CP 5000 with my +3 close focus specs I use under the hood of my LF camera :-)

thanks for your inputs :-)

christan

Christian

ok ... that's interesting. I'm willing to bet it looks better than my old Nikon CP 5000 with my +3 close focus specs I use under the hood of my LF camera :-)

thanks for your inputs :-)
    Glad to be of help

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Christan,
    I am impressed with the quality of your Macro photos. I have the same Canon FD 50 f/3.5 macro lens and finally figured out how to focus it manually. I put the lens attached to an extender and an adapter on my G1 and put them on a tripod and was shocked how difficult it was to get even tiny leaf all in focus. The slightest movement of the leaf by the breeze was magnified. This further impressed me how you got your insect subjects to remain in place while you composed and focused the lens. I knew your photos were excellent, but after I attempted to photograph a leaf, I gain an even greater appreciation for your photos. Thanks again for posting the photos as well as your camera, lens and flash setup.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like

My 285 measures at just under 9V, so while it's not hundreds of Volts like some older models, I've been reluctant to put it directly on the camera. I like using it off-camera anyway using an old flash mount, so that's OK. That way I can mess around with various flash angles, etc.

christan

Christan,
    I am impressed with the quality of your Macro photos. I have the same Canon FD 50 f/3.5 macro lens and finally figured out how to focus it manually. I put the lens attached to an extender and an adapter on my G1 and put them on a tripod and was shocked how difficult it was to get even tiny leaf all in focus. The slightest movement of the leaf by the breeze was magnified. This further impressed me how you got your insect subjects to remain in place while you composed and focused the lens. I knew your photos were excellent, but after I attempted to photograph a leaf, I gain an even greater appreciation for your photos. Thanks again for posting the photos as well as your camera, lens and flash setup.

Howard
    I actually shot all the above pics handheld ... The settings I used is typically Manual mode, ISO400, 1/160, f/8-f/11 ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chris,

Hand held, I am impressed. When I tried to shoot with the same setup (excluding the flash), it was difficult to hold the camera steady just to focus. Then the DOF is so narrow. I took some photos with the camera on a tripod which I will post after I upload them.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,

Hand held, I am impressed. When I tried to shoot with the same setup (excluding the flash), it was difficult to hold the camera steady just to focus. Then the DOF is so narrow. I took some photos with the camera on a tripod which I will post after I upload them.

Howard
    Shooting at f/8-f/11 should widen your DOF significantly, which is where the flash comes in to add the extra light you need for that smaller aperture. The 1/160 shutter speed is automatically set when you use a flash on your hot shoe, but it should be enough to mitigate any major vibrations. Worst case you take the flash off-camera and decrease your shutter speed even more (although you'll need more light for that again). Without a flash, these photos are really difficult to take, and you run into the steady camera issues you're having.

christan

Chris,

Howard
    The flash is necessary, as photoSmart mentioned below.

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    Shooting at f/8-f/11 should widen your DOF significantly, which is where the flash comes in to add the extra light you need for that smaller aperture. The 1/160 shutter speed is automatically set when you use a flash on your hot shoe, but it should be enough to mitigate any major vibrations. Worst case you take the flash off-camera and decrease your shutter speed even more (although you'll need more light for that again). Without a flash, these photos are really difficult to take, and you run into the steady camera issues you're having.
    Generally, most small insects require about f/8-f/11 to get sufficient DOF to capture it ... while bigger insects like dragonflies may need f/16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Following are several photos that I took with my G1, FD to M4/3 adapter with a Canon Macro 50mm 3.5 lens. The camera was on a steady tripod and no flash was used.

Howard

grum

These pics are incredible - just wondering what the diffuser on the flash is? Is it home made or a purchased item?

Thanks

grum

Anyone?

richie15

I have a flick down diffuser on my Olympus

jl_87

How did you get the hoodloupe to stay on the GF1?

richie15

Straps go around the camera, a bit like elastic bands