The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 + Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 Macro - Field Test

C

christan

Shot these using Lumix GF1 + Canon FD f/3.5 Macro + Extension Tube + Vivitar 285HV + Hoodloupe 3.0 :D ...

Michiel Schierbeek

Outstanding Macro's!!

That Vivitar flash looks worthwile.
Do they all communicate well with the GF1 and G1?
Thanks for posting.
Michiel

C

christan

Spectacular!

HOLY MACARO!!

that first one jumped out at me LOL..these are terrific
Hehee .. Thanks :)

Outstanding Macro's!!

That Vivitar flash looks worthwile.
Do they all communicate well with the GF1 and G1?
Thanks for posting.
Michiel
No, the Vivitar 285HV is a very old flash. Apart from triggering the flash, there's no communication at all, so it takes some work to set some settings manually. I only used it because I already have this flash lying around :)

pellicle

Chris

These are indeed great ... now, do you have any feedback to give on using the GF for this job? I love the angled screen and EVF on my G1 for such (but inferior to your) work.

Ron Evers

Very, very nice shots. The butterfly in the first is exceptional & the head shot of the mantis is impressive.

Howard

Christan,
First your macro photos are great. I have a G1 and the same FD 50 3.5 lens. I bought an adapter from an e-bay seller and when I attach my lens to the adapter and the adapter to the camera, I get a message: "Please check that the lens is attached correctly". Is there some adjustment that that you made to the GF1 to the menu system to have the camera recognize that there is an adapter and lens on the camera? Any help would appreciated since I am inspired by your photos with your GF1 and macro lens.

Thanks
Howard

apicius9

Beautiful, I wouldn't even know where to find these creatures, let alone take such nice shots of them. And the lens is on my 'sell' list, I may have to reconsider that...

Stefan

Last edited:
M

meilicke

Yes, quite lovely. I too have the canon 3.5 macro (plus tubes), but have yet to try it out. Soon!

bensonga

Great images! Amongst the best insect shots I've ever seen.

Any chance you could show us a pic of your camera/flash setup? I have a G1, Nikkor 55/3.5 macro, extension tube and Vivitar 285HV that I might like to try on macro photography.....although it's unlikely I'll ever get results as good as yours.

Gary

C

christan

Christan,
First your macro photos are great. I have a G1 and the same FD 50 3.5 lens. I bought an adapter from an e-bay seller and when I attach my lens to the adapter and the adapter to the camera, I get a message: "Please check that the lens is attached correctly". Is there some adjustment that that you made to the GF1 to the menu system to have the camera recognize that there is an adapter and lens on the camera? Any help would appreciated since I am inspired by your photos with your GF1 and macro lens.

Thanks
Howard
Just go to CUSTOM MENU > SHOOT W/O LENS > ON ...

Chris

These are indeed great ... now, do you have any feedback to give on using the GF for this job? I love the angled screen and EVF on my G1 for such (but inferior to your) work.
Well, it's not really any different from using my Canon DSLR for macro, except for the lack of an OVF :) ... shooting under bright sunlight, the LCD isn't really useful for judging focus given the really shallow DOF, which was why I used the hoodloupe ...

fantastic macros!!

These are tremendous.... but g-d, I hate insects.
JT
LOL ...

Beautiful, I wouldn't even know where to find these creatures, let alone take such nice shots of them. And the lens is on my 'sell' list, I may have to reconsider that...

Stefan
Thanks, I found this to be quite a nice macro lens. On micro 4/3, it becomes a 100mm macro ...

Yes, quite lovely. I too have the canon 3.5 macro (plus tubes), but have yet to try it out. Soon!
Looking forward to seeing your work :)

Really nice done, thanks for sharing

Manouch

excellent shots, thanks but ewwwww on some of them bugs :p
LOL ...

Great images! Amongst the best insect shots I've ever seen.

Any chance you could show us a pic of your camera/flash setup? I have a G1, Nikkor 55/3.5 macro, extension tube and Vivitar 285HV that I might like to try on macro photography.....although it's unlikely I'll ever get results as good as yours.

Gary
Thanks, here's the setup I used for the above pics :)

BTW, for anyone who's thinking of using the Vivitar flashes, I would highly recommend that you test the trigger voltage with a multimeter first. Some old Vivitars have very high voltage and could fry your cam ... my 285HV had a max voltage of just below 6V ...

Also, just to note that I am using the Vivitar simply because I had a few lying around which I use for strobist shoots. I'm not recommending that ppl who are starting out from scratch to go out and buy a 285HV :) ... you're probably better off getting a newer flash unit that supports Pana/Oly TTL ...

Last edited:

JCT

Holy cow Chris-- I saw your pic before I saw your disclaimer re: voltage and all I could think was AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, not the hot shoe!! :ROTFL:

I use a couple of these old 285HV flashes off-camera for MF, serious workhorses, but I well remember what happened when folks tried to use these old flashes on some of the first digital SLRs before checking the voltage-- real badness and resultant sadness..

Cool rig, I have the same setup as Gary, gotta give this a try. But maybe find another subject, *shiver*.

JT

apicius9

Ahh, I didn't read well enough. Was wondering why the hoodloupe would be better than the EVF - I thought these were taken with the G1. Thanks for the pic, I have to try that if I ever get another day off :rolleyes: I have an older Metz flash that should work (according to their customer service) and one of these blow-up diffusors And I can choose between the Canon FD 50 and the Leica Elmarit 60 macros :) Now where are these bugs...

Stefan