The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GXR/A12 vs GF1

cam

GXR/A12 can be used for street work

I have been using the GXR for a couple of days now, so pardon my "early" reactions. The focus issues that John points are indeed all true. As it stands now the GXR is not a good moving subject camera in terms of fast focus and focus tracking. The GRD(3) is not either, except for snap focus, but the more limited DoF in the GXR makes this feature more challenging to use (I have not tried to use it much yet). It does not have a focus "tracking" capability.
in defense of the GXR (and the acknowledgement that i seem to shoot differently than a vast majority of people), i did not find it a problem with moving subjects at all -- once i got used to the camera a little.

i shot with manual focus only (did not find the travel too long as Wouter did, nor did i Zone focus -- mostly used it wide open because of the light), and typically shutter priority and/or full manual exposure. *all* i shot was moving subjects, trying to get "moments" as that is what i prefer to do.

to be honest, i was more than pleased with the results using it this way. i did not put up the images because they weren't quite up to my standard (but i am very picky this way) and, at the time, had no way to process RAW.

if i can process from RAW (a big IF because i was using pre-production firmware), i will put some images up. if not, i will put some JPEGs up when i get back home at the end of the week (i'm not sure if i have any on the drive i brought).

i'm not saying there aren't issues with the camera and focus for street work, simply that there are way to make it work if that is what you like to shoot.

Paratom

I sorry to say this, but I don't understand the point of the GXR.
1. $850 for 50mm f2.5 lens? (even with APS-C sensor, I don't see big deal, not fast, Dof is not that shallow)
2. $550 for the battery holder?
3. Looks of it are not very attractive IMO, but most of all what is the niche of this product.

GRD has the niche with the following features: Pocketability, 28mm large DoF, No focus necessary, No lag time, - perfect for street photography.
E-P2 has the niche of being the best camera for MF photography, period, with GH1 closely behind it. (you can use most any lens ever built) And of course 5D if you need FF sensor is hard to beat.

I don't believe that image quality is trully all that much better, cause if it is that much better than E-p2 than it is probably better than D3, and I really doubt it.

I'm not a fan boy of any brand, or a pure minimalist using one system, one body only. On contrary, I use many different tools and $$$ generally not a deal breaker for me, but as long as its justifiable. Sorry Ricoh, not this time...

Now, if they would make a slightly larger body with FF sensor, similar to what Samsung did, I would be all over it. I hope Epson can deliver, they do have the expertise with RD-1 and best EVF and LCD technology, so why not try.

P.S. don't crucify me either, as this is purely my opinion, noting against Ricoh.
I also agree-I dont see really the point. Plus I would expect that a unit of sensor+lens is allways more expensive than having to exchange just a lens.

retow

I sorry to say this, but I don't understand the point of the GXR.

How about offering a large sensor, interchangeable lens system in a small, lightweight body? As such, it is the firsts of its kind, followed by the Samsung NX. If Ricoh launches a 28 equiv., a fast 40mm and moderate tele module, I could see a digital Leica CL borne.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
How about offering a large sensor, interchangeable lens system in a small, lightweight body? As such, it is the firsts of its kind, followed by the Samsung NX. If Ricoh launches a 28 equiv., a fast 40mm and moderate tele module, I could see a digital Leica CL borne.
Don't forget the small sensor zoom, which keeps the size way down. Many of us, myself included, have m4/3 cameras, but also carry compacts.

Keith

barjohn

Kevin, I only did it for that one because the image would be too small for on screen viewing of detail and since it was done for both the effect is the same on both. Having said that I can still see the detail in the magnified image you presented.

barjohn

I tried zone focusing today at 3M at f8 and it worked very well. In looking at my attempts the other day I found that the problem was I did not set the ISO high enough so I got blurred images due to slow shutter speed and camera shake. I am starting to like the ZF on this camera as a quick way to shoot. It is too bad we don't have a wider lens so that the DOF is larger for a given f-stop allowing for a faster shutter speed for a given light level.

barjohn

Please be sure and read my last post in the GXR Taste Thread so you know what you are getting in to. I don't want to mislead anyone.

sagar

Absolutely John, I will not blame you :D
Indeed I read that on Ricoh forum before placing an order

Please be sure and read my last post in the GXR Taste Thread so you know what you are getting in to. I don't want to mislead anyone.

U

Uebermensch

I thought I would add one more of the Leica comparisons for fun. In this comparison the Leica shot is at ISO 160 using the 90mm Cron at f5.6. I only zoomed it 50% so the two images would not be grossly disproportionate and the GXR is at 100%.
Hello, BarJohn.
Could you, please, elaborate, in this particular screenshot which one is the GXR and which one is the Leica?

Thank you.