The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to set and see live 4/3 aspect ratio preview on GF1 screen?

R

Reproster

Hi, everyone!

For Long time waited for OLY EP2 come to Latvia...but have no luck.....so...
finally decided and bought GF1+20 mm combo for my girlfriend!

In February we will travel to India for 1 month so I hope good usage for camera!!!

I have Summilux 25 mm F 1.4 too so I will test them to just see how good 20mm is?! from hanholdability hands down

But from first experience...GF1+20mm - almost perfect combo - fun to use.....and perfect for small hands...for me little to small for my long fingers....

This camera have Firmware v 1.0

Do I need to upgrade it to 1.1?
real Benefits?

How to set and see live 4/3 aspect ratio preview on GF1 screen when I want to use it for photography? For video 16:9 it is perfect!

I don't like 16:9 aspect ratio for photography because it cuts out UP/Bottom part of real picture...so in real use it is little pain in ***..... because I thought that the one of main EVF strenght is WYSIWYG......

and I can't use golden rule......, ok more practice and it will be ok....but why they can bring it as option for easy 4/3 aspect ratio composition?

DO I miss something in setting? I hope so!

C

cbretteville

No need to worry. The camera switches to 16x9 when you enter video mode and back to your preferred setting for stills when you exit from video. I've set mine up to use 3x2 for stills as I prefer that to 4x3.
Carl

Last edited:
R

Reproster

Thank You!
But Your answer dos't help because...
the main problem is - I would like to see 4/3 aspect ratio picture on screen before I take a picture........... not only later .... right now everything is in 16:9 mode..so when I take picture I can't see how much from UP/Bottom I lost...........

thank You!

Martins

R

Reproster

Hmmm, strange YOU say that I can to set it UP, I can't where is that option?

I can set it up in C1 and C2 mode but not in A, M, S...
I hope I missed some options....

maybe because firmware 1.0?

Thank You!

Martins

Terry

It is very simple.

In your main menu (the one with the camera icon) it is the second choice on the first page. Aspect Ratio.

You can also change it on the quick menu the top choice is 4:3 the second is 3:2 the third is 16:9 and the fourth is 1:1

R

Reproster

Thank You ..BUT....I know where it is..as I said when I put camera in Aperture priority mode and press Menu/set -> choose REC Menu then Choose Aspect ratio menu..thn choose 4:3......and press again Menu/set......and again no changes.....

Aspect ratios work perfectly in C1 and C2...mode....but I want Aperture priority mode have the same.....

Thank You!

Terry

When you are in A mode and press the menu/set and go to the record menu what size is showing on the apspect ratio line (what is currently set is in the black box)

R

Reproster

As I said on screen 16:9 but when I open Set/Menu..it shows 4/3... even if I choos 1:1 - nothing hapens...screen stays in 16:9 mode...

maybe it's just a BUG...(FIRMWARE 1.0)...

Already I try to sonfigure C1 to be like S or A mode.....

is it possible to set camera to work in AUTO mode with inimum shutter = 1/60 and if exposure time is not enough then bump iso.....because the default 1/30.. is to low for me to shot handhield....in that A mode....

thank You!

Terry

As I said on screen 16:9 but when I open Set/Menu..it shows 4/3... even if I choos 1:1 - nothing hapens...screen stays in 16:9 mode...

maybe it's just a BUG...(FIRMWARE 1.0)...

Already I try to sonfigure C1 to be like S or A mode.....

is it possible to set camera to work in AUTO mode with inimum shutter = 1/60 and if exposure time is not enough then bump iso.....because the default 1/30.. is to low for me to shot handhield....in that A mode....

thank You!
First thing... go to the C wrench menu item
In the LCD display style, try switching to the other style

Next no 1/60 doesn't work - auto ISO is set based on 1/focal or 1/30 with a 20mm lens it defaults to 1/30. If you need a faster shutter speed and want to shoot wide open use S mode. The camera will still use f1.7 you set the shutter and it will change the ISO accordingly.

R

Reproster

As I said before in C1 and C2 mode everything works!

But I Just wanted the same 4/3 preview in S, A, M....but....still not geting....

Terry

I realize what you are saying and I'm trying to help you solve it. I'm thinking you have a different screen layout set up in the custom vs. the A mode. If you don't want to try what I'm asking I can't do any more. We've all had firmware v1.0 and had no problem with it.

R

Reproster

I tried it already... and it still 16:9.... ;(

>First thing... go to the C wrench menu item
In the LCD display style, try switching to the other style

R

Reproster

when I saved A settings to C1..now I can't change aspect ratio.............I'm little lost...

Terry

My only other suggestion:

Reset the camera
Get your settings how you want them in the regular way (a mode).
Then make the changes from your normal settings and save them to the C1, C2, C3
If you go to C1 and make your custom settings and save them you are starting at the factory default. If you take your normal shooting info and make the changes and then save in C1 you preserve a lot of other important settings.

For instance I set everything as I wanted it to normally operate when I turn the camera on. Then for C1 I want dynamic B&W so while I'm still in A mode I change the film to dynamic B&W. Then I go to the C wrench and chose the first item custom menu set for C1 and it asks me if I want to overwrite these settings to C1 and I say yes. It is much faster and simpler to do it this way than to go on the dial to C1 and set all of the settings because you are starting once again from the factory default.

R

Reproster

Thank You!

That was what I did.......Reset menu... now everything is fine....