Site Sponsors

Thread: video: lens focus noise and stabilisation

Post Thanks / Like

video: lens focus noise and stabilisation

Hi

a friend of mine has just asked me a couple of questions relating to video with a GF-1 and an E-P1.

- does the 17mm on the EP-1 make any focus noise which is audible during video?
    - does the 14-45 lens make any focus noise which is audible during video recording?
    - does stabilisation smooth out hand held camera work better on either camera?

not having one I haven't got a clue on this one ...

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: video: lens focus noise and stabilisation

Pellicle, this comes from a total video novice--and I haven't done any for a bit, but when I did a little demo with several lenses, 14-45 included, it did have some visible focusing noise. It seems better after the recent firmware upgrade but still exhibits some. I just tried the 17 on the GF1 and yes, it does have audible focusing noise.

I don't know about stabilization--can't say if its better or not. The handheld video I've seen isn't so much a 'shake' issue as panning too fast, or moving around--not really shake. I've found that I prefer to shoot with MF lenses and do my own manual focus. I did try this with the 20--and its okay, but I like the focusing with the older manual lenses better--for what that's worth from a complete novice LOL.

He might check some of the forums that deal with video--they all have GF1/GH1 forums and he'll get better info there.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/index.php
    http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/
    http://www.vimeo.com/groups/gf1

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Di

the person is a Finn (and a female) so I'll have to trawl the forums myself ;-)

thanks for the inputs :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi Di

the person is a Finn (and a female) so I'll have to trawl the forums myself ;-)

thanks for the inputs :-)
    Ah, they are in English, yes. Would there be any that would be more Finnish friendly?? I don't know. Sorry if I assumed 'he'--but there aren't a lot of us on these forums so I did the 'stereotype' thing I guess LOL.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

I know the EP1 is noisy when it is autofocusing. I have seen a test review clip and you can clearly hear it clicking away when focusing through out. So I guess you have to change your shooting style to get decent audio. But if she's the type that puts music behind almost everything like me its not much of an issue...lol.

jump on the vimeo site and search for ep1 and gf1 videos. people upload alot of personal test footages which i recon is a better indication than reading stuff. I was trawling there for a good 2 months before I decided to get a GH1 over a 5Dmk2 for video.