The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Reversed lens stack question

photoSmart42

So what's the conventional wisdom on the different lenses to stack for macro. I'm playing around with using the reversed 20/1.7 as a macro lens to see how it compares to my Tokina 90/2.5. I have the reversed 52mm adapter for the G1 so I could mount the lens directly to the camera (with the 52-46 step-up ring), but I'd like to use an additional lens in between.

Here's what I have:

Pana 14-45
Pana 14-140
Pana 20/1.7
FD 50/1.4
FD 28/2.8
FD 135/2.5
Tokina 90/2.5
FL 55/1.2

I was thinking of using the 14-140 as a baseline lens because it would give me the extra zoom and the functionality of working with the camera, but I'm concerned that it's too slow even with a flash, and that I'd have to use a bunch of adapter rings to go from 62mm to 46mm. Not sure if I should be concerned about either one of those issues. The 14-140 would also be a nice choice since my light travel kit is the 14-140 and the 20, so by taking along some rings I could also have a decent macro kit wherever I go. I've seen people use the 45-200 Pana lens as a baseline for a stack with a reversed FD 50/1.4, but I don't have the 45-200.

Any thoughts?

V

Vivek

Both the 20/1.7 reversed (straight on adapter with no further extensions) and the 14-45 reversed do superbly on a G1.

The Oly 14-42 (and 17/2.8) is OK but shows distortion and lesser sharpness.

You can not use them wide open for macros. I strongly recommend stopping down (unless you want most of the frame to be fuzzy).

See: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11703

(post #21 and related discussion of it)

Stacking (I have a few hundred) lenses on any of the lenses I have (17, 20, 14-42, 14-45, 45-200) have been less than satisfactory.

I do find Leitz Macrotars VIa and VIb doing very well on the 14-42.

Oddly, the old Macrotars appear to be better than the later Elpros.

These (Leitz diopters) are many times better than the Canon 250/500 stuff.

Canon 500D on 45-200 turned out to be very unpleasant for me.

photoSmart42

Thanks, Vivek! I think I tuned out the first page of that thread after the discussion got into the crop vs. magnification arguments, and I missed the part about getting the 20/1.7 to remain partially closed while off camera. I'm assuming getting the 14-45 or even the 14-140 to do the same is a similar procedure.

I actually got the idea of using the 20 reversed from a different thread where you mentioned you'd done it. I'll play around with both those lenses reversed and attached directly to the camera and see what I get. I had looked at using achromat filters on the lenses as well, but wasn't sure how well they worked. What thread size are those Macrotars? 55mm?

V

Vivek

Macrotar VI (a/b refers to the strengths) is Series VI filter. Elpro VII, is Series VII filter.

None are 55mm.

photoSmart42

Macrotar VI (a/b refers to the strengths) is Series VI filter. Elpro VII, is Series VII filter.

None are 55mm.
Not sure if we're talking the same thing now. The Leitz/Leica Macrotar filters were made to fit the 50mm Leica R lens, which has a 55mm filter on it as far as I know. That's what I was referring to, and was just looking to confirm that's what you are using. Are you talking about some different Macrotar filters? I just wanted to figure out what other thread adapters I need to get to fit these filters on my lenses.

henningw

Not sure if we're talking the same thing now. The Leitz/Leica Macrotar filters were made to fit the 50mm Leica R lens, which has a 55mm filter on it as far as I know. That's what I was referring to, and was just looking to confirm that's what you are using. Are you talking about some different Macrotar filters? I just wanted to figure out what other thread adapters I need to get to fit these filters on my lenses.
The early Summicron-R was series 6. Series 6 are close to 36mm, and series 7 are close to 49mm, but you need an adapter ring in both cases.

Henning

V

Vivek

What Henning said. These are old, dating back to the fabulous Leica SL/SL2 era.

Besides, if it is a 55mm filter then it is (in Leica speak) E55.

G

Gary

Both the 20/1.7 reversed (straight on adapter with no further extensions) and the 14-45 reversed do superbly on a G1.
I would like to try reversing the 14-45 can you tell me how what adapter I would need?

Thanks,
Gary

V

Vivek

The RJ adapter is the only game in town. Fabulously made and does the job.

FWIW, for those who are wondering, to attach the 20/1.7 reversed, one needs a 46 to 52mm step-up adapter.

Last edited:
K

klythawk

The RJ adapter is the only game in town. Fabulously made and does the job.

FWIW, for those who are wondering, to attach the 20/1.7 reversed, one needs a 46 to 52mm step-up adapter.
Thankyou for the information. :thumbup:

John