Site Sponsors

Thread: Fuji, Sigma, Kodak, Canon join m4/3 (rumor)

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji, Sigma, Kodak, Canon join m4/3 (rumor)

This would be fantastic (specially if it involves a foveon sensor with a micro 4/3 mount!!!):

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2010...ur-thirds.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuji, Sigma, Kodak, Canon join m4/3 (rumor)

Puff, I have just read the original article in spanish and it's just the guy speculating. He doesn't have any source at all.

Post Thanks / Like

well, every rumor has to start somewhere ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had read about Fuji somewhere, and hope that happens.
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be very surprised if at least one other major player doesn't step into this format. Pana and Oly seem to be holding their own, and their products have received significant enough recognition as solid players that it should be looked at as an opportunity for others as well. I agree that Canon or Nikon would be the last to join in because they have so much capital invested in their current line of products, but the smaller companies have nothing to lose really.
    Last edited by photoSmart42; 13th January 2010 at 09:36.

tokengirl

Just imagine a little Canon M4/3 camera with an array of cute little pancake "L" lenses...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    ... but the smaller companies have nothing to lose really.
    For a start Cosina/Voigtländer would boost their sales of lenses if they had a go, I'm sure of it.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who grew up next to the Leitz/Leica facilities it hurts to see that they - once again - missed the bus and with a mixture of arrogance and ignorance made the wrong decisions on the management level. Sad.

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica Policies

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    As someone who grew up next to the Leitz/Leica facilities it hurts to see that they - once again - missed the bus and with a mixture of arrogance and ignorance made the wrong decisions on the management level. Sad.
    By missing the bus I'm sure you mean trying to charge two grand for a compact camera, yes, sad indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not that I have any actual information, but I really doubt we'll see Nikon or Canon joining 4/3s. With Samsung showing that a similar sized product can be released in APS size it makes sense for them to compete in that market with their existing lenses to add to any new system they have. But who knows.

Now Fuji is a different story. There were actually 5 companies that initially signed on to the 4/3 standards. Panasonic and Olympus of course, Sanyo (which is now Panasonic), Sigma (presumably for lenses but who knows) as well as Kodak and Fuji. So it isn't unreasonable to think Fuji might come out with something since they already belong and clearly had that intent some years ago. But other than feeding the fires of speculation and wishful thinking, I have no actual new information about whether that will actually happen. But dreams are nice.
    michael

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sonomichele View Post
    Not that I have any actual information, but I really doubt we'll see Nikon or Canon joining 4/3s.

I will not be shocked but will be pleasantly surprised to see a mirrorless (not m4/3rds) Nikon cam soon. In fact, i am expecting to see one.

What I do need next is the rumored Fuji cam, for its rumored sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

With all the new cameras and lenses coming out as well as the sale number ist's very fair to say that the micro 4/3 system is really here to stay. Like it or not either the other companies get on board or they have to come up with a similar alternative. It was smart move from Oly and Pana to introduce so much micro 3/4 cameras and lenses in a short period of time, as this gives the users confidence on the evolution and stability of the format. With Pana releasing a 14mm f2.8 all I need now is a fast zoom and I'm set for glass. Now what would REALLY make me happy would be a Sigma DP4/3

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agreeing with sonomichele, here. Here's my ranking from most-to-least likely:

Sigma - Seems pretty likely we'll see m4/3 lens(es) at some point. A m4/3 Sigma camera would be very interesting, but I think it's a dream at this point.

Fuji/Kodak - I doubt either of these two will come out with a m4/3 camera or lens. Both companies seem very entrenched in the compact market and look like they've gotten out of the interchangeable lens category completely.

Canon/Nikon - I know they are watching the market carefully, but both Canon and Nikon are fond having their own proprietary mounts. I think it's much more likely that each will create their own interchangeable lens compact lines at some point in the future.