Site Sponsors

Thread: G1 discontinued (According to the official website)

Post Thanks / Like

G1 discontinued (According to the official website)

From http://43rumors.com/

According to the official Panasonic japanese web site, the Panasonic DMC-G1 has been discontinued.

http://ctlg.panasonic.jp/product/inf...g=04&hb=DMC-G1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G1 discontinued (According to the official website)

Yes, I got the same message at our local store yesterday and this should be final. Hope it means another camera is come up soon.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Happy days, I now own yet another relic!

Good job it still works...

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Happy days, I now own yet another relic!

2 plus a corpse (I killed my first) here.

Post Thanks / Like

So, is this a good time to get a G1, with the price with the 14-42mm around $650, or time to wait for its successor?

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen some truly great offers on used G1s. Keep your eye open and you could find a great deal.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds right, 16 months since my first arrived.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    So, is this a good time to get a G1 ...
    or time to wait for its successor?
    well I'm cynical, I already think that they've re-set the specs. The G1 was a debut camera, so it had to be twice as good to be considered equal. We've already seen that on the GF-1 we don't get an EVF standard, and that which comes with it is (IMHO) inferior (certainly of lower spec). The GF sells for about 100Euro more than I paid for my G1 (with the same 14-45 lens). If you add the accessory finder (remember lower spec) you've got to add about 170Euro more, making the GF1 about 920 Euro with a finder ... not far from the E-P2

They have the GH1 to cover people who want an SLR style (can't seem to find that for under 1300 Euro, and considering the lens it comes with that's quite close to the price of a G1...

So I'm expecting that whatever replaces the G1 will be no better spec'ed if as good, and if it is spec'd as well then it'll be more expensive than you'll get a G1 for.

besides, what are they likely to add? In body stabilisation? I doubt it (but that would be interesting). Personally I can't think of much (aside from more rugged) that I would like from the G1 ... I'd prefer to see more lenses ... say a 12mm f2??

Post Thanks / Like

In the short term they will probably just sell the GH1 with the 14-45 kit lens as a replacement, the two camera bodies are almost identical except for video.

Paul

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi

We've already seen that on the GF-1 we don't get an EVF standard, and that which comes with it is (IMHO) inferior (certainly of lower spec).
    Actually, I think it was important for Panasonic to release the GF1 without the EVF. There are a lot of people that don't want one. They learned photography using a P&S and that is how they use/know cameras.

I personally think Olympus is making a mistake on the E-P2 by not offering it without the viewfinder. They are probably just trying to clear inventory of the E-P1 before doing so, but I would want the port on the back to give the option particularly for resale.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Actually, I think it was important for Panasonic to release the GF1 without the EVF. There are a lot of people that don't want one.
    sure, I agree entirely! But why wasn't it priced say 100 less than a G1?? Surely the video circuitry isn't worth that much more??

{edit: maybe it was that cunning little cute flash ... reminds me of Walle}

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, by the normal camera body cycles, its about time to replace the G1--regardless of how happy we are with the current one.

I don't want to come off as saying that 'greed is good' (I'm probably the furthest in philosophy from that as possible) and I don't know when they set prices, but if they had looked at the enthusiasm for the EP-1 and its price, why would they underprice it and not make a bit more profit per unit? And--I'm not assuming that they did.

My hope is that there will be a G2--or GH2--I can live with the video if they decide to offer only one body. I don't think it would be smart of them to NOT offer video since just about every new DSLR of any level (entry or otherwise) now has it. I do want them to offer it 'body only' since I don't now want to duplicate any of my lenses. All that being said, I have no desire to buy a new body right now anyhow LOL--but certainly will want to replace my G1 in the future. If there would be a hybrid G1/GF1 style body, that would suit me best--it HAS to have an EVF as good as the G1, preferable tilt screen--don't care about onbody flash, but others want it, so really just want something approaching an updated G1 I guess--when I need it. There's not much that will get me to buy a new body anytime soon--other than if my current G1 fails.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps this is why the G1 was being sold at around 75% of the recommended retail price in the UK around Dec til now and why panasonic were running a 30 cash back and free 3 yr warranty - to clear out for the next camera? :S

Also interesting that the GH1 is available body only now in the UK although its 600, for which u can buy a GF1 with either lens.

I hope it means they'll bring out a G2 but they have a lot to live up to as they've set the bar pretty high. In my opinion it'll be hard to see panasonic making something too similar to the G1 with video - it would undermine sales of the GH1.

Perhaps they'll up the specs - more pixels, better ISO performance, an even better EVF, maybe even a fancy LED screen like the Samsung GX10?

I'd love to see retro styling - a range finder look-a-like? although it wont happen with panasonic as they like to keep things modern.
    Last edited by vincechu; 14th January 2010 at 05:42. Reason: Adding more text

Post Thanks / Like

for once in my life being an early adopter does not seem to have cost me more

fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi

sure, I agree entirely! But why wasn't it priced say 100 less than a G1?? Surely the video circuitry isn't worth that much more??

{edit: maybe it was that cunning little cute flash ... reminds me of Walle}
    I've also been thinking that, and thinking that the GH1 can't be that much more expensive to make than the G1.

GH1 Body only in the uk is 649, G1 with 14-45 is 449, doesnt make too much sense in my opinion for the added video and microphones.

Post Thanks / Like

sheeze, if panasonic decided to make a real tool instead of toys...unLeash their engineers, put t' marketing genies back in the bottle...whoa. I am afraid the the ugly duckling we have come to love is just an aberration.

oh weLL...

Hudson

Post Thanks / Like

I note that when Apple has come out with new products recently, they actually have (in some cases, and not without caveats) reduced rather than increased prices on their successful products. While the camera business is different, the success of Panasonic cameras would suggest they could approach it in a similar manner, enlarging their market and presumably profits.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whatever the new body is, IMHO it should also be offered as a body only solution.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Y.B.Hudson III View Post
    sheeze, if panasonic decided to make a real tool instead of toys...unLeash their engineers, put t' marketing genies back in the bottle...whoa. I am afraid the the ugly duckling we have come to love is just an aberration.

oh weLL...

Hudson
    I am hoping for another ugly(er) duckling. Cute varieties, in various eye catching colors and matching colored accessories, can be sold separately for a premium to those who need them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    I note that when Apple has come out with new products recently, they actually have (in some cases, and not without caveats) reduced rather than increased prices on their successful products. While the camera business is different, the success of Panasonic cameras would suggest they could approach it in a similar manner, enlarging their market and presumably profits.
    It certainly happened with Canons--the original D30 was over $3000, body only (3MP). The next gen, D60 was $2200 body only (6MP)--which is where I bought in from the Oly E10. The 5D FF was a far cry (of course with less pro options) from the 1Ds FFs that I expected to have to buy used--at less than $3000 body only (actually I got it for about $2800 early--at 12MP)--and its continued.

Whether it will happen with Panasonics--who knows. They are in the ballpark for smaller camera companies for entry level.

Personally, I don't see them making a G2 as such--more something in GH1's specs which is mostly a G1 with video and some other options. Whether the body will change--who knows. I do feel there are ergonomic advantages to my G1 over my GF1--that's why I say a hybrid

I know some feel the G1, etc. are 'toys' but I don't see them as toys any more than my 5D--they just fit a different place in my photographic tools.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

All products have life cycles. If the G1 is out of production, so be it.

I hold out my expectation for the "GL2" that I've mentioned wanting a few times. A higher-end build and design, similarly featured body.

In the meanwhile, I'm quite happy with the G1 I've already got and don't need a replacement for any practical reason yet. My camera kit is quite complete ... FourThirds SLR + Micro-FourThirds bodies plus the lens kit I need but for one or two specific lenses ... and produces more than satisfactory quality, so I'm not really sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to buy a new camera.

I'd rather concentrate my energy on producing photographs than ogling and hoping to buy more equipment...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Whatever the new body is, IMHO it should also be offered as a body only solution.
    If not that would be a let down. By now many have some lenses.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the kitzoom has a high resale value. A pity I wrecked mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vincechu View Post
    I've also been thinking that, and thinking that the GH1 can't be that much more expensive to make than the G1.

GH1 Body only in the uk is 649, G1 with 14-45 is 449, doesnt make too much sense in my opinion for the added video and microphones.
    In an interview a Panasonic exec. mentioned that the GH1 sensor is significantly more expensive than the G1/GF1 sensor. That said, in the manufacturing sense "significantly" probably means $100 at the most. Looking at the prices for kits and subtracting lens prices seems to put the G1/GH1 body price difference in the US at about $100.

Yeah, those UK prices seem silly. Probably a mixture of body only markup (similar to the lens only mark ups) and the G1 kit being priced to move and clear inventory.

Ken

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

We can still get G1s for the time being...all colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be confused with anyone in the vanguard, I just ordered a black G1 from Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm.... I can't help but to wonder that if the official availability of the GH1 as body only in the UK (not sure about elsewhere) is also because they want to clear out factory stocks of the GH1 (as well as the G1 using the promotion i mentioned above and buy lowering prices to stimulate demand) to prepare for production and space to stock their next model ???

Because the way i look at it G1's successor will be very close to, if not better than the GH1 - I think the G1 successor's almost certainly going to have HD video (as well as other improvements like IQ and ISO performance) as all the competition are implementing video (Canon 500D, Nikon D5000, Pentax K-x etc) so the successor would make producing more GH1s pointless, unless of course the price of the successor is much higher and they make the GF1 the lowest price model....

haha guess I'm thinking too much, needed to get it out :P

Post Thanks / Like

I was just getting ready to sell my body - aehh, my G1 body, that is - now I'm wondering if I should wait a little bit. Who knows want will come and whether it will be in my price range. I had never planned on having a G1 and a GH1, but somehow the G1 seems worth more to me than what I get for selling it used.

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it be nice if what ever comes along has yet another battery system

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What surprises me is all this talk of Panasonic having to clear stock... how did they go from 'not being able to satisfy the outrageous demand' to 'having to clear stock' overnight?

It seems to me, the ideal approach for Panasonic would be to simply produce a GH2 with the new sensor, and reduce the price of the GH1 to take the place of the G1.

I can't see any future panasonic m4/3rds cam not having video, so replacing the G1 with GF1 innards seems like a small step - probably just a continuation of the G1 for another small production run. Seems messy to me.

We'll know soon enough, I'm sure. Meanwhile, Godfrey has the right approach... go out and shoot with what we've got!

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm over thinking it ;-)

anyway heres a link to another thread, its called "New countdown on Panasonic site"... time to speculate some more!

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13441

Interesting that the site with the countdown on it has a picture of the "discountinued G1" on it

http://www.panasonic.com.sg/lumixg/

Then at the link below it says "Join us to celebrate the launch of our new lumix G micro (exclusive to the lumix G and L series)" and then it says "be the first to see our new range of camera products"

http://www.panasonic.com.sg/lumixg/register.htm

So definately a new range of G and L slr's coming out?

Perhaps the L will be the mirrored camera panasonic filed patents for:

http://43rumors.com/ft3-panasonic-four-thirds-camera/

And of course the g1 successor and perhaps a few others as they said "range" which implies more than one right?

whatever happens I'm really excited about the micro four thirds format - has so much potential, hope Panasonic will build on their strong start!

drxcm

This is an exciting development. Hopefully we will see a new generation of sensor in the new range..