The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 discontinued (According to the official website)

slau

Yes, I got the same message at our local store yesterday and this should be final. Hope it means another camera is come up soon.

Elliot

So, is this a good time to get a G1, with the price with the 14-42mm around $650, or time to wait for its successor?

Rawfa

I've seen some truly great offers on used G1s. Keep your eye open and you could find a great deal.

pellicle

Hi

So, is this a good time to get a G1 ...
or time to wait for its successor?
well I'm cynical, I already think that they've re-set the specs. The G1 was a debut camera, so it had to be twice as good to be considered equal. We've already seen that on the GF-1 we don't get an EVF standard, and that which comes with it is (IMHO) inferior (certainly of lower spec). The GF sells for about 100Euro more than I paid for my G1 (with the same 14-45 lens). If you add the accessory finder (remember lower spec) you've got to add about 170Euro more, making the GF1 about 920 Euro with a finder ... not far from the E-P2

They have the GH1 to cover people who want an SLR style (can't seem to find that for under 1300 Euro, and considering the lens it comes with that's quite close to the price of a G1...

So I'm expecting that whatever replaces the G1 will be no better spec'ed if as good, and if it is spec'd as well then it'll be more expensive than you'll get a G1 for.

besides, what are they likely to add? In body stabilisation? I doubt it (but that would be interesting). Personally I can't think of much (aside from more rugged) that I would like from the G1 ... I'd prefer to see more lenses ... say a 12mm f2??

In the short term they will probably just sell the GH1 with the 14-45 kit lens as a replacement, the two camera bodies are almost identical except for video.

Paul

Terry

Hi

We've already seen that on the GF-1 we don't get an EVF standard, and that which comes with it is (IMHO) inferior (certainly of lower spec).
Actually, I think it was important for Panasonic to release the GF1 without the EVF. There are a lot of people that don't want one. They learned photography using a P&S and that is how they use/know cameras.

I personally think Olympus is making a mistake on the E-P2 by not offering it without the viewfinder. They are probably just trying to clear inventory of the E-P1 before doing so, but I would want the port on the back to give the option particularly for resale.

pellicle

Hi

Actually, I think it was important for Panasonic to release the GF1 without the EVF. There are a lot of people that don't want one.
sure, I agree entirely! But why wasn't it priced say 100 less than a G1?? Surely the video circuitry isn't worth that much more??

{edit: maybe it was that cunning little cute flash ... reminds me of Walle}

Diane B

First of all, by the normal camera body cycles, its about time to replace the G1--regardless of how happy we are with the current one.

I don't want to come off as saying that 'greed is good' (I'm probably the furthest in philosophy from that as possible) and I don't know when they set prices, but if they had looked at the enthusiasm for the EP-1 and its price, why would they underprice it and not make a bit more profit per unit? And--I'm not assuming that they did.

My hope is that there will be a G2--or GH2--I can live with the video if they decide to offer only one body. I don't think it would be smart of them to NOT offer video since just about every new DSLR of any level (entry or otherwise) now has it. I do want them to offer it 'body only' since I don't now want to duplicate any of my lenses. All that being said, I have no desire to buy a new body right now anyhow LOL--but certainly will want to replace my G1 in the future. If there would be a hybrid G1/GF1 style body, that would suit me best--it HAS to have an EVF as good as the G1, preferable tilt screen--don't care about onbody flash, but others want it, so really just want something approaching an updated G1 I guess--when I need it. There's not much that will get me to buy a new body anytime soon--other than if my current G1 fails.

Diane

vincechu

Perhaps this is why the G1 was being sold at around 75% of the recommended retail price in the UK around Dec til now and why panasonic were running a £30 cash back and free 3 yr warranty - to clear out for the next camera? :S

Also interesting that the GH1 is available body only now in the UK although its £600, for which u can buy a GF1 with either lens.

I hope it means they'll bring out a G2 but they have a lot to live up to as they've set the bar pretty high. In my opinion it'll be hard to see panasonic making something too similar to the G1 with video - it would undermine sales of the GH1.

Perhaps they'll up the specs - more pixels, better ISO performance, an even better EVF, maybe even a fancy LED screen like the Samsung GX10?

I'd love to see retro styling - a range finder look-a-like? although it wont happen with panasonic as they like to keep things modern.

Last edited:

vincechu

Hi

sure, I agree entirely! But why wasn't it priced say 100 less than a G1?? Surely the video circuitry isn't worth that much more??

{edit: maybe it was that cunning little cute flash ... reminds me of Walle}
I've also been thinking that, and thinking that the GH1 can't be that much more expensive to make than the G1.

GH1 Body only in the uk is £649, G1 with 14-45 is £449, doesnt make too much sense in my opinion for the added video and microphones.

Y.B.Hudson III

sheeze, if panasonic decided to make a real tool instead of toys...unLeash their engineers, put t' marketing genies back in the bottle...whoa. I am afraid the the ugly duckling we have come to love is just an aberration.

oh weLL...

Hudson

Elliot

I note that when Apple has come out with new products recently, they actually have (in some cases, and not without caveats) reduced rather than increased prices on their successful products. While the camera business is different, the success of Panasonic cameras would suggest they could approach it in a similar manner, enlarging their market and presumably profits.

V

Vivek

sheeze, if panasonic decided to make a real tool instead of toys...unLeash their engineers, put t' marketing genies back in the bottle...whoa. I am afraid the the ugly duckling we have come to love is just an aberration.

oh weLL...

Hudson
I am hoping for another ugly(er) duckling. Cute varieties, in various eye catching colors and matching colored accessories, can be sold separately for a premium to those who need them.

Diane B

I note that when Apple has come out with new products recently, they actually have (in some cases, and not without caveats) reduced rather than increased prices on their successful products. While the camera business is different, the success of Panasonic cameras would suggest they could approach it in a similar manner, enlarging their market and presumably profits.
It certainly happened with Canons--the original D30 was over $3000, body only (3MP). The next gen, D60 was $2200 body only (6MP)--which is where I bought in from the Oly E10. The 5D FF was a far cry (of course with less pro options) from the 1Ds FFs that I expected to have to buy used--at less than $3000 body only (actually I got it for about $2800 early--at 12MP)--and its continued.

Whether it will happen with Panasonics--who knows. They are in the ballpark for smaller camera companies for entry level.

Personally, I don't see them making a G2 as such--more something in GH1's specs which is mostly a G1 with video and some other options. Whether the body will change--who knows. I do feel there are ergonomic advantages to my G1 over my GF1--that's why I say a hybrid ;)

I know some feel the G1, etc. are 'toys' but I don't see them as toys any more than my 5D--they just fit a different place in my photographic tools.

Diane