The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does your G1/GF1/GH1 band at ISO1600?

Do you band at ISO 1600?

• Yes, my G1 bands.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Yes, my GF1 bands.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, my GH1 bands.

• No, my G1 does not band.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No, my GF 1 does not band.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No, my GH1 does not band.

• Total voters
V

Vivek

You can induce banding with any digital camera if you expose it for that.

Recently I did ISO3200 with 2 different G1s, no worries.

V

Vivek

Jacmarney, Pen F 40/1.4 at f/1.4 ISO3200 (night, street light), 1/5s and 45-200 zoom at ISO3200 (indoor lighting) both on stock G1s.

I will see if I can find the pics..

Jerry_R

All these cameras can badn, even on ISO 100 - especially when underexposed, in darker, often out of focus areas.

For future: poll questions are incorrecr, as I can ONLY select ONE!

D

drxcm

Agree that correct exposure is necessary to minimise banding.

From what I have read, the G1 and GF1 are much better that the GH1 with regard to banding.

My GH1 is, in my opinion, unusable at 1600 due to banding.

Jerry_R

G1 and GF1 are much better that the GH1 with regard to banding.
I observed exactly the same.

My GH1 is, in my opinion, unusable at 1600 due to banding.
My first GH1, bought when first ones appeared on the market, having first firmware - acted the same. My 2nd one, bought maybe month ago, with recent firmware - has much more less banding. 1600 is still useable. I have no idea if it is question of firmware or specific camera item.

PS: you can remove that banding with NikSoftware DFINE.

D

drxcm

Yup, I've tried DFINE, which definitely cleans things up a lot, but leaves the image kind of 'plastic' looking.

In any case, I just never go past 800 now, which is fine for me. Would be interested in seeing what the next G series has to offer regarding high ISO and banding.

I gotta say, when I got the GH1, I was VERY disappointed about the banding, but everything else about the camera outweighed this enough for me to still keep, and love, the GH1.

V

Vivek

Here is the pen F 40/1.4 shot (1/5s, ISO1250, not 3200) (slipped and fell on ice, hence the tear).

and this is the 45-200 zoom (hand held, 72mm) at 1/60s (VR on), ISO3200.

No noise reduction was applied on either images.

D

drxcm

If my GH1 could do that, I would be a happy man.
To be honest, I use the video so infrequently, that I am thinking of 'downgrading' to a G1 soon. Especially as the price is starting to come down.