Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My Ricoh GXR taste test...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: My Ricoh GXR taste test...

ecsh, how is that different than if Leica offers a new 35mm Sumilux? Even if it is improved that doesn't mean you have to toss the 35mm Sumilux you already have. If they offered the same focal length with a new improved sensor one could decide whether the improvements are sufficient to meet their needs or not and stay with what they have. The same will be true of the Sumilux. Look at Nikon or Canon, they often have more than one offering in the same focal length. In other words, you are making more out of this than it warrants. In all likelihood they will focus on new focal lengths first to expand the range of the system before they go back to the same FL and just change out the sensor.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree John. It's all down to whether you think upgrading is worth the price, regardless whether they attached the sensor to the lens or not. It's certainly a clever approach and perhaps they will get the combo right someday.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it is actually more complex than just deciding to upgrade a lens. If there are any changes in technology and the way data is communicated to the body (better throughput) or something else and Ricoh wants to introduce a new body, you are either stuck or they have to make all future bodies backwards compatible.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I think it is actually more complex than just deciding to upgrade a lens. If there are any changes in technology and the way data is communicated to the body (better throughput) or something else and Ricoh wants to introduce a new body, you are either stuck or they have to make all future bodies backwards compatible.
    Hi Terry
    I'm sure you're right. Even if they can use the same body, you end up with a series of lenses with different sensors with different characteristics - of course, that could be a bonus, but I think it's more likely to be a PIB.

On the other hand, it's a brave and interesting move by Ricoh, and they certainly deserve to be given some credit for it.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that at some point, the body will have been outgrown by what the latest lens/sensor package requires. I just find it hard to imagine that the engineers can have created the "all singing, all dancing" body that would be required to keep pace with future technology advances.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Ricoh has shown in the past (I had both the GRD and GRD2) and I think they are more in tune with photographers than any other company out there WRT the interface.

Personally, I am so happy with my G1/GH1/GF1 that I see no need to get the Ricoh. And coming from a confirmed gear-a-holic, that is saying something.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to admit that my initial reaction to some of these issues was not dissimilar from many of the posts here. Using the A12 module has changed my mind despite its shortcomings though I think they must address some of these to keep me as a longer term customer. I also thought their S10 module made no sense since a larger sensor is what was driving me toward the product. However, I found out during Thanksgiving that I wanted something even smaller than the GF1 to carry that would still give me high quality images so I purchased a Canon S90. The images from the camera were very good for a small sensor camera and the interface was pretty good too. However, I quickly discovered that the barrel distortion was horrendous. Further, when working from RAW files, neither LR 3 Beta or C1 V5 provided any correction. This created the dilemma on whether to keep the S90 and wait for someone to offer correction, buy a 3rd party lens correction program or return the camera. I decided to return it. This leads me to the S10 module. I decided t order and try one. It completely changes the character of the camera without changing the way you work with it. It becomes lighter and smaller and the 24mm field of view is just great. So in one camera I am now getting two, a smaller lighter P&S and a heavy hitting APS_C large sensor camera. Both have the same user interface and high quality construction and produce DNG raw files along with JPGs.

Will the body eventually require a replacement as technology advances? I would say yes but it should be fairly easy to offer downward compatibility with older lens/sensor combinations and would support newer higher performance technology combinations. While one can't predict pricing that far out for something that does not exist, I think it is safe to guess it will actually cost less because competition in this segment of the market is increasing and they will have to stay competitive.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Given how new the GXR system is it will be a long time before any upgrades are offered. And upgrades are never required, but they're available if one so chooses.

The GXR body design is based on the long-standing designs of the GR (35mm film)/GX/GRD. That is not likely to change, nor IMO should it, since I like it so much It is compact, light, very solid, and feels good in the hand.

The rest is just software, which is easily updatable, the units, and the connection. The system approach of the GXR allows for far more flexibility and expandability than any other current system (except possibly for the Red camera). With virtually any other digital camera system about all you can change is the lens. The GXR, for better or worse, goes far beyond that. So what if you are offered an upgrade to the sensor in a new A12 unit? At least you could have that option! You don't get it from anyone else unless you buy an entire new camera (or are into digital medium format).

Ricoh is not interested in pleasing the masses, but for a contingent of photographers, most of whom probably already use and like Ricoh cameras, they are offering a bold, clever approach with a universal familiarity.

I have no idea where the GXR system will go or if it will last, but for now it's a lot of fun.
    Last edited by andrewteee; 18th January 2010 at 15:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I thought I'd chime in on this one. I was initially very skeptical of the system when announced but was looking for something more than the micro 4/3rds system. The micro 4/3rds cameras while technically fine just feel lifeless to me no matter which lens/body combination I've tried.

So, while still looking for a compact high quality system I decided to give the GXR with the A12 a try. Many of the complaints are valid, the biggest one being the autofocus struggling with the A12 in low light (the S10 however is quick and accurate) but there is much to like beyond the surface.

For me, the camera stands far above the Panasonic and Olympus in build quality and ergonomics. It was clearly designed by photographers for photographers vs the design by marketing committee feeling that I get from the micro 4/3rds cams. It's the kind of camera I simply want to pick up and use because it's so damn fun which I just haven't felt about the micro 4/3rds cameras.

The camera has been proven to be quite usable even with its limitations. It's easy to zone focus by distance or prefocusing the A12 for a specific point. Switching in and out of manual focus is one quick button press as it should be. I certainly don't consider myself a hard core street shooter but I had very few issues in getting plenty of good shots. Shooting static subjects is simply not an issue.

Beyond the wonderful build and ergos of the camera what I love is the quality of the photos. The A12 produces great stuff all the way up to ISO 3200. The lens reminds me very much of the Zeiss 50mm f/2 Makro Planar that I use on my Canon system only the A12 has sharper corners from wide open. After starting with the A12 and letting my wife spend some time with it she decided to get herself one with the S10 module to replace her Canon S90. She absolutely loves it. The S10 with it's smaller sensor behaves very differently and is a very quick performer when it comes to autofocus. The quality of the S10 photos matches the S90 for ISO performance and betters it with it's lens.

Anyways, enough rambling so here are some shots with both sensors...

A12 - ISO 3200 - f/2.5

A12 - ISO 1600 - f/3.2

S10 - ISO 800 - f/2.5

A12 - ISO 200 - f/3.5

S10 - ISO 100 - f/2.5

A12 - ISO 200 - f/2.5

A12 - ISO 200 - f/2.5

A12 - ISO 3200 - f/2.5

A12 - ISO 2167 - f/2.5

A12 - ISO 1671 - f/2.5
    Last edited by Greg Seitz; 18th January 2010 at 17:15.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice samples, Greg!

Post Thanks / Like

GXR with A12, the first two iso 3200, f4.0, no PP, in camera jpegs. The next two are at iso 200, f5.6.
    Last edited by retow; 19th June 2010 at 02:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Nice samples, Greg!
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

If just Ricoh has gone with a micro 4/3 mount this camera could have been awesome. This was a very narrow minded bet IMO. Ricoh is in crisis and this could have really helped. There's a reason why ricoh is closing their main factories in loads of european countries.
    Last edited by Rawfa; 19th January 2010 at 07:50.