The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Ricoh GXR taste test...

bradhusick

Brad, Thanks for your post! Simply one of the best (if not the best) I have read.

Up to the point with straight forward conclusions.
Thanks! I know it can rub some people the wrong way, but I call 'em like I see 'em. I am equally ready to heap praise on a great product.

Keep shooting,
Brad

andrewteee

Last night I got caught up in comparing the GXR to the E-P2 and DP2. In terms of holistic IQ in the shots that I took I was reminded just how good the DP2 is. I converted several images to B&W from each camera and the DP2 images all had the best detail with a film-like feel and dimensionality. Very pleasing. The GXR was very close behind, but in its own way just as interesting. The E-P2 images were a very close third, slightly lacking in detail and dynamic range, and interestingess/engagement factor. The GXR DNGs seem to be much more workable than the E-P2 ORFs. I used RAW Developer for GXR and E-P2 processing and SPP for the DP2 processing. I used base ISO in each camera.

In absolute terms these cameras are all great cameras and all take great pictures. They each have their pros and cons.

A few more notes in case they are informative...

• The GXR EVF is slightly better than the E-P2 EVF. They are both good. The E-P2 EVF is easier to use since both shooting and playback are enabled at the same time. On the GXR you have to enable using the EVF for shooting and playback separately. However, as I was using it this made sense because when reviewing images I tended to want to use the LCD instead of the EVF.
  • The manual focus zoom is much easier to use on the E-P2 than the GXR. The GXR zoom square does not zoom in close enough. On the E-P2 I wish there was a way to quickly enable/disable the focus zoom. At times I want to maintain 100% view for rough zooming, then enable focus zoom for fine tuning.
  • Auto balance in difficult lighting was more accurate on the GXR.
  • The GXR feels slightly more compact, lighter and tighter than the E-P2. The DP2 feels flimsy and plasticky in comparison to both, really disappointing. Take that Foveon sensor back from Sigma and put it into a better camera body!
  • Accurate color in the RAW files seemed easier to achieve on the GXR. The DP2 is still a bear to get "accurate" color and white balance. But of course color depends on the RAW processor.
  • Focus on the GXR is indeed too slow. I hope they correct this to the extent they can with software in the next software update.

In reviewing some color shots from over the weekend the GXR pictures have real presence and clarity. Very beautiful.

I have not ordered any prints from the GXR yet (my own printer is currently out of service). Prints from the E-P2 have been spectacular.

If the GXR system ended with the A12 I'd be happy because I have always desired a large sensor "GRD" and for better or worse I essentially have one. However, if they can expand the line to include large sensor, fast, wide (non macro) primes (from 21mm to 35mm) I think the system will be a real winner.

Through this exercise I'm coming to learn more about the limitations of the 4/3rds sensor. I love the proportions, and in most cases it is not an issue, and for most people it's all they need, but for my more serious work I feel like I'm reaching its limitations. Might be time to look into something along the lines of the Sony full-frame cameras widely acknowledged for their wide dynamic range and detail for serious landscape or still life work. Still, I have a deep love for my serious compacts!

Last edited by a moderator:

barjohn

I have carefully listed issues I have identified in the GXR and they have been posted to the Ricoh forums in hope that Ricoh will take notice and fix these items.

Andy, you can set teh GXR to operate like the GF1/EP2 and playback the image in the EVF when you press the play button. It is a menu selectable item. The default is for playback (not review which does show in the EVF for the time set for review) to the LCD even though you are using the EVF for composition (go to the wrench screen and select "Playback to" menu item).

My list of issues with the GXR/A12:

Auto Focus Issues:
1. Slow spot mode auto focus in normal room light level, reaches acceptable though not GF1 speeds as light level increases (avg. full press AF speed =1.08sec) (GF1 avg. full press AF speed =0.36sec with 20mm f1.7 lens, much faster with 14mm-45mm zoom)
2. Multi-autofocus is so slow it is almost unusable except for still life (Avg. focus speed 1.39sec)
3. Image in the EVF & LCD freezes during AF then jumps to a new position when focus is achieved
4. Low light level for focus assist light to come on is set too low resulting in inability to lock focus in conditions that are brighter than conditions in which the light turns on and auto focus is achieved

Manual Focus Issues:
1. Center magnify is insufficient and needs to be either made adjustable and set in a menu (like one button playback magnify) or have two steps 5X and 10X
2. Focus ring response is jumpy and moves in click steps rather than in a smooth continuous motion and the lens response lags the physical change causing focus to be missed as one overshoots the focus point and then on return undershoots the focus point
3. In full manual mode the image brightness on the LCD or EVF varies with the exposure setting making manual focus in low light difficult; this may be by design to show the user what the exposure looks like but there needs to be a simple override during manual focusing such as when turning the focus ring it should automatically brighten the image to assist with focusing

Other Issues:
1. Screen leaves live view after shutter release for about 1.9sec. This results in a blank screen for the 2 seconds or if image review is on and set to less than 2 seconds, the image is frozen for the period of review less than the blank time
2. If reviewing an image (playback), a full press of the shutter takes it out of playback but does not fire a shot in auto focus or manual mode (the GF1 will focus and fire the shutter)
3. When auto flash mode is selected the TTL feature does not seem to function properly and images either over or under expose

Despite these issues, many I expect will be addressed, it is an excellent camera, especially in ZF mode.

simonclivehughes

This is completely off topic, but am I alone in finding the black bulleted text almost unreadable? Mods: can this not be changed to a more readable color?

Cheers,

V

Vivek

Despite these issues, many I expect will be addressed, it is an excellent camera, especially in ZF mode.

John, Seriously, what have you got against the GXR?!

BTW, I searched everywhere and I could not find any information on the "ZF mode" in which you think this camera is excellent.

andrewteee

Sorry, when I created the list it turned the list text to black. I'm logged in but no longer have access to an "edit your post" button to change it. It is hard to read.

Terry

BTW, I searched everywhere and I could not find any information on the "ZF mode" in which you think this camera is excellent.
I tred to switch the color for you but I couldn't get it to work :confused: will play around with it again and see what I can do.

V

Vivek

I tred to switch the color for you but I couldn't get it to work :confused: will play around with it again and see what I can do.
No disrespect to Andrewteee or John-

Terry, As I posted, Brad's succinct post did it for me.

Terry

I'm so confused.....Vivek, I meant to quote Andrews post about the colors on his list but I completely messed up. I will leave well enough alone now and STOP trying to moderate :p

simonclivehughes

Vivek,

I think Terry was replying to my post just above the one she quoted. I was complaining about the bulleted text being too dark.

Cheers,

barjohn

Vivek, I have nothing against the GXR or any other camera. They all have their flaws and their beauty marks. There are a ton of folks here and on LUF that will buy an X1 and it has all of the issues above and more in that it is really really slow to provide an image for playback and the way to zone focus with it is to first put the camera in auto focus, then focus on an object a known distance from the camera, then while holding a lock on the focus switch to manual focus and then shoot objects that are at the known distance while estimating the DOF. That camera costs almost twice as much.

ZF is short hand for zone focusing which is accomplished via at least 3 different ways. One is to put the camera in fully manual mode and set the aperture and shutter speed and then manual focusing the camera using the distance scale with the depth of field indication. Another is to set the camera to aperture priority and set the aperture to f5.6 or higher and use the distance/DOF scale and a third is to use either fully manual or aperture priority and select snap focus and pre select the distance to be used from the fixed distances available.

Last edited:

bradhusick

John,
Your list of issues with the GXR is a nice more detailed explanation of the problems I found too with this camera.

Don't underestimate the people on this forum. The X1 has many problems and we will all speak up loudly about them. It's important to develop a good relationship with your camera dealer so you can identify these problems without risking thousands of dollars.

I hope Ricoh fixes the GXR, but I am not holding my breath (or my credit card) for them.

V

Vivek

Brad, Where have you been hiding?:confused: You are not only eloquent but very concise.:)

John, Thanks for elaborating on ZF.

J

jKK

Hello

On a recent trip to Japan I tried out the
GXR in Bic Camera.

It is a nice camera body, well made and solid feeling.
But the usability is awful.

The AF is is at least 2sec on the 33mm lens, which is
pretty bad for anything that moves.
The MF is sluggish and not nice.

Much more interesting were the Limited edition Pentax pancake
lenses :), very slim indeed, and made of metal not plastic.

OTT Japan Camera Notes:-

In the camera dept of the shop, the Panasonic "G" section and EP2
were very very busy.
Most of the DSLR areas were really quiet.

I went to Ueno Zoo [Big zoo in Tokyo] on a Sunday, which was busy.
I spent more time looking at the cameras people had, than the animals.
Approx 60% of people had DSLRs, of which 90% were Canon the rest were
Nikon [no Sony, no other brand at all I saw]
The rest of the people had Point&shoot cameras, and mobiles.
But I saw one guy with a Ricoh GXR !

-jKK

barjohn

I have carefully measured AF performance and it is not 2 seconds except under certain low light conditions.

Under normal room light conditions, the average measure spot AF speed was 1.08 seconds and the multi-point AF speed was 1.39 seconds for the GXR/A12. It is as fast as .5 seconds in bright daylight. And it can be reasonably fast (not measured) in low light that is low enough to turn on the focus assist lamp. There is a gap in range between the room light level and the level were the AF assist lamp lights that is very slow and I'm not sure why the software doesn't sense this level and turn on the lamp when it is struggling. I have not taken the time to measure the actual EV level gap.

retow

I have carefully measured AF performance and it is not 2 seconds except under certain low light conditions.

Under normal room light conditions, the average measure spot AF speed was 1.08 seconds and the multi-point AF speed was 1.39 seconds for the GXR/A12. It is as fast as .5 seconds in bright daylight. And it can be reasonably fast (not measured) in low light that is low enough to turn on the focus assist lamp. There is a gap in range between the room light level and the level were the AF assist lamp lights that is very slow and I'm not sure why the software doesn't sense this level and turn on the lamp when it is struggling. I have not taken the time to measure the actual EV level gap.
John, thanks for your comprehensive list of strength and weaknesses of the GXR. I used mine extensively yesterday in NYC and fully agree with your conclusions. The most annoying issue, which really screams for immediate firmware upgrade is the AF hunting :thumbdown:. Generally Af is only satisfactory in contrasty conditions, and reasonably fast in bright daylight. I.e. AF performance and speed need improvement as well, the sooner the better. ZF works like a charm and the snap mode is very usefull as well:thumbup:. Ergonomics, user interface and build quality are excellent, simply Ricoh. And the best is the IQ, a result of file and lens quality, including smooth oof rendering:thumbs:.
If Ricoh can get the AF issue fixed asap, a clear winner for me.

V

Vivek

If GXR is supposed to compete with m4/3rds and Samsung NX, they would be very happy to read this. :D

retow

If GXR is supposed to compete with m4/3rds and Samsung NX, they would be very happy to read this. :D
We have to be tough on them, Pana or Oly mft offer pretty well rounded products, including lenses, and set the bar quite high :)