The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help requested finding raw converter for G1

G

gme109

Just wondering what other G1 owners are using to convert and catalog their G1 files. I can't seem to find a program that does it all.

Silkypix, the program that came with the camera, seems decent, but doesn't match the quality achieved in Lightroom, and lacks an integrated cataloging system.

Being a Mac user, I was disappointed that Aperture doesn't support the raw RW2 files from the G1.

Lightroom comes the closest but lacks a perspective tool for correcting lens distortion. I've tried to use PTlens as an external editing tool, but there seems to be some issues with it, and their website lacks any customer support. No email or users forums.

Has anyone found an all in one raw converter to use with their G1 that offers an integrated cataloging system, a lens correction tool, and all the functionality and features of Lightroom? If not, what other stand alone tools do you use for correcting lens distortion?

Any and all suggestions for alternative workflows are greatly appreciated.

Terry

What lenses are you using on G1 that need lens corrections. The m4/3 lenses are automatically corrected in LR

jcmarney

Capture One works with G1, does decent conversions, and I _think_ does lens corrections...but maybe that is only Pro?

G

gme109

What lenses are you using on G1 that need lens corrections. The m4/3 lenses are automatically corrected in LR
Doh! I just downloaded the trial version of Lightroom 2.6 a few days ago, and hadn't experimented much with it as of yet. Didn't have any raw architectural photos to test out perspectives, and assumed Lightroom didn't correct for it, as they did not have any lens correction tools like Silkypix.

Presently I'm only using the Lumix 14-45mm and 45-200mm. But plan on adding other lenses, fisheye ect... down the road. So will Lightroom correct lens perspective on other non m4/3 lenses?

m3photo

DNG

Just wondering what other G1 owners are using to convert and catalog their G1 files. I can't seem to find a program that does it all.
Convert to DNG first with the free download then use ACR or other preferred software.

G

gme109

Re: DNG

Convert to DNG first with the free download then use ACR or other preferred software.
Thanks

I just downloaded it but:

The Adobe DNG converter does not recognize my G1 RW2 files. Not sure why, as the G1 is listed as a supported camera.

m3photo

Re: DNG Converter

Thanks

I just downloaded it but:

The Adobe DNG converter does not recognize my G1 RW2 files. Not sure why, as the G1 is listed as a supported camera.
Hmm, tell the converter to process the whole folder containing the images; as you'll observe in the conversion menu which also directs you to choose the folder into which it will place the converted images - this converter does not work with individual files outside a folder. I'm sure you'll find this will solve your problem.

G

gme109

Hmm, tell the converter to process the whole folder containing the images; as you'll observe in the conversion menu which also directs you to choose the folder into which it will place the converted images - this converter does not work with individual files outside a folder. I'm sure you'll find this will solve your problem.
Thanks again.

Some times I get in a big hurry and fail to observe the obvious.

Diane B

LR will not correct non-m4/3rds lenses. Panasonic has perspective correction written into the lens data so that's why LR does it. If you want to correct any others (non m4/3rds) you will have to use something like PT Lens--or use perspective correction in PS.

The only thing I would suggest is that LR is a great deal more than just a RAW processor, so consider your needs before committing--OR use DNG. Do you have PS--the most recent? ACR does the same correction as LR.

Personally, I settled on LR when it came out as it its RAW processing satisfies my needs-and continues to get better with each version. LR replaced my database (Imatch), PS and other RCs for RAW processing and most of my other processing (I used RSP and C1)--I do do some 'roundtrips' to PS (CS3) for some specific processing and for framing my online gallery shots with my action . It replaced my printing apps--Qimage and PS.

I believe PT Lens is available as a plugin for LR, but haven't researched that very well. Mine is freestanding but I haven't used it with any lens that I use with m4/3rds.

Diane

G

gme109

LR will not correct non-m4/3rds lenses. Panasonic has perspective correction written into the lens data so that's why LR does it. If you want to correct any others (non m4/3rds) you will have to use something like PT Lens--or use perspective correction in PS.

The only thing I would suggest is that LR is a great deal more than just a RAW processor, so consider your needs before committing--OR use DNG. Do you have PS--the most recent? ACR does the same correction as LR.

Personally, I settled on LR when it came out as it its RAW processing satisfies my needs-and continues to get better with each version. LR replaced my database (Imatch), PS and other RCs for RAW processing and most of my other processing (I used RSP and C1)--I do do some 'roundtrips' to PS (CS3) for some specific processing and for framing my online gallery shots with my action . It replaced my printing apps--Qimage and PS.

I believe PT Lens is available as a plugin for LR, but haven't researched that very well. Mine is freestanding but I haven't used it with any lens that I use with m4/3rds.

Diane
Thanks, I now have a clear picture of what to except from LR, and I think this program will fill my needs.

I have an older version of PS, version 8.0 which is the first CS.

PTLensEdit will work as an external editor, but not as a plug-in with LR.
It can be added and invoked within the LR program.

Godfrey

A minor correction:

To process one file (or a specific set of files) with DNG Converter, drag and drop the file onto the DNG Converter file icon (works in Mac OS X, should also work in Windows). DNG Converter will start and list that file, asking you where to put the .DNG output file.

Godfrey

Silkypix, the program that came with the camera, seems decent, but doesn't match the quality achieved in Lightroom, and lacks an integrated cataloging system.

Being a Mac user, I was disappointed that Aperture doesn't support the raw RW2 files from the G1.

Lightroom comes the closest but lacks a perspective tool for correcting lens distortion. I've tried to use PTlens as an external editing tool, but there seems to be some issues with it, and their website lacks any customer support. No email or users forums.

Has anyone found an all in one raw converter to use with their G1 that offers an integrated cataloging system, a lens correction tool, and all the functionality and features of Lightroom? If not, what other stand alone tools do you use for correcting lens distortion?

Any and all suggestions for alternative workflows are greatly appreciated.
I use Lightroom for the vast majority of all my image management and image processing needs. The very few image processing things I need to handle that it doesn't do are handled by Photoshop CSx (currently CS2, soon CS4).

Regards lens correction, Lightroom 2.6 does all the manufacturer's intended lens correction automatically (for Panasonic Lumix G lenses and bodies, both CA and geometric corrections are incorporated into the lenses). Any other lenses or bodies which require corrections are done manually. Lightroom does an excellent job of correcting CA, Photoshop does an excellent job of correcting rectilinear distortions.

Just wondering what other G1 owners are using to convert and catalog their G1 files.
I use of Raw Therapee for raw conversion of all my raw files (G1, Leica M, Leica R, Nikon) and gimp for re-sizing and other image manipulation. Both are GNU (free license), and excellent and I like to use the same software on all my camera platforms

Cheers
Peter