The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

using MF assist with AF lenses.....

Diane B

This is a bit of a theoretical question I guess--and I remember Jono asked this, but can't find what his workaround for it was.

AT times I like to tweak the focus with MF assist on an AF lens. I generally AF, then twist focus ring to go into MF assist, tweak my focus and want to shoot. However--I don't like to shoot without returning to the composition--and doing that means one has to use the shutter button again--thus bringing you back to the camera's focus, not yours. One can move to MF after AF--which brings you more quickly to the point where you want to adjust focus.

Is this a better way? I did find that you if you are holding the shutter button, go to MF assist--you can hit delete button without having to release the shutter button--and thus reverting back to AF. Does anyone else use this method??

Diane

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
This is a bit of a theoretical question I guess--and I remember Jono asked this, but can't find what his workaround for it was.

AT times I like to tweak the focus with MF assist on an AF lens. I generally AF, then twist focus ring to go into MF assist, tweak my focus and want to shoot. However--I don't like to shoot without returning to the composition--and doing that means one has to use the shutter button again--thus bringing you back to the camera's focus, not yours. One can move to MF after AF--which brings you more quickly to the point where you want to adjust focus.

Is this a better way? I did find that you if you are holding the shutter button, go to MF assist--you can hit delete button without having to release the shutter button--and thus reverting back to AF. Does anyone else use this method??

Diane
Diane, unless I'm misunderstanding, I believe it's possible to do what you want (at least with the Panasonic m4/3 cameras) by using the AF/AE LOCK button for focusing -- I got into this habit when shooting with the Nikon D300 and D700 and transferred it to the G1.

1. In the Custom menu, set AF/AE LOCK to either AF/AE or AF.
2. Use the AF/AE LOCK button to focus. The border of the MF assist area turns green, indicating that the focus is locked. At this point, pressing the shutter button has no effect on the focus.
3. Twist the focus ring to go into MF and tweak the focus in magnified view.
4. Press the shutter button to go back to normal view. The border of the MF assist area is still green -- the focus is locked but on the tweaked focus point.
5. Press the shutter to take the shot.

The focus remains locked until you press the AF/AE LOCK button again to unlock it. Another press of the AF/AE LOCK button locks the focus once more. If the focus is unlocked, you can use the shutter button to focus but each press of the focus button refocuses the lens.

Godfrey

Same as Jonathan's comment and drawn out of my notes on G1 usage:

For Panasonic G1/GH1/GF1, set in Custom menu ...

- AF+MF to ON
- AF/AE Lock to AF Only
- AF/AE Lock Hold to ON

Elicit AF with the AF/AE Lock button. It will act as a toggle. The AF operation overrides operation of AF on the shutter release until the AF Lock is defeated. Once AF is locked, use the focusing ring to obtain critical focus. Half press the shutter release to restore full view, set exposure, frame and make exposure.
The Delete button, once MF Assist is enabled, likely does the same thing that the shutter release or Menu buttons do.

Diane B

Thanks both. I shoot that method with my 5D and tried it with the G's, but in the end decided the AE worked better for me. I hadn't tried it with MF assist though (in particular, that's come up more with the acquisition of the 45 f/2.8) since I shoot a lot with MF lenses and AE is more an issue with them. I'll try that method along with my 'delete' and see which works best for me.

Diane