Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fun with E-P2

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with E-P2

When I pick up my Pen 2, I reckon I've got the closest approximation to what he's dreaming about.
    If I were one of those Leica invitees to see the X1 production, I would have said that to Leica in private and not blog about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    The thing I was really interested in was the effective FOV with C mount lenses, compared to M mount lenses ie, is 64mm actually something like 50/55/60mm, rather than the opposite that you get with 35mm lenses. I've never actually seen anything that describes whether you're getting a wider, equivalent or narrower FOV.
    The angle of view of a 60mm C mount lens adapted to Micro Four Thirds should be the same as that of an adapted 60mm medium format lens or an adapted 60mm lens for 35mm frame.

OzRay

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    The angle of view of a 60mm C mount lens adapted to Micro Four Thirds should be the same as that of an adapted 60mm medium format lens or an adapted 60mm lens for 35mm frame.
    That doesn't make sense.

A 60mm lens made to cover a 35mm film surface works effectively as a 120mm on 4/3s and m4/3s.

A 60mm lens made to cover a 120mm film suface works effectively as a 240mm/480mm? (can't be bothered to calculate) on 4/3s and m4/3s.

So one would assume that a 60mm lens made to cover a film surface smaller than 4/3s would work effectively as a wider lens on 4/3s.

I'll find out when I get my Sony lens.

Cheers

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting point Ray, I hadn't considered that.

Maybe Vivek or another of our experienced Pen F lens users can comment? what effective focal length field of view would a 60mm Pen F lens provide on 4/3rds?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few comments:

Please consider the differences in perspective also. It's not only the angle that is important. A 60mm lens has the perspective of 60mm on any format. It's just the angle changing.

Imagine a Nikon 50mm lens on 35 mm FF camera. It records a certain area 24X36mm on the sensor.

The same lens used with an adapter on M4/3 gives exactly the same picture on the sensor area, except that the sensor is small, and records only a small central portion of it. (Smaller angle, like a 100mm lens on 35mm camera)

Therefore, the angle of view changes, but not the picture (and perspective). Therefore it is not a true 100mm lens like on a 35mm camera. It records the same area, but in the M4/3 case, the items closer to the camera seems fine, while the objects farther away will be much smaller.

That said, the 50mm on M4/3 does not make a perfect portrait lens for example (at least for me, because I prefer 100+mms). It's just like a 50mm lens.

Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    That said, the 50mm on M4/3 does not make a perfect portrait lens for example (at least for me, because I prefer 100+mms). It's just like a 50mm lens.

Seyhun
    Good point, what would be your favourite focal length for a 4/3rds sensor for portraits?

I have a preference for the 57mm f1.2 myself.

G1 + Hexanon 57mm f1.2

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

With all this talk about the evf, one feature of the Panasopnic G1 that folk do not mention is the rotating lcd. There are some shots of Tony Bennett at JazzFest when I was far from stage and standing behind some tall folk that I would not have been able to get without rotating the lcd, holding the camera above my head and looking through the lcd to verify that I had Tony Bennett in focus. Still the improvements in the Pen 2 would seem to make this a intriguing choice for using with legacy lenses and an adapter and a second mu43 body to carry around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Novaron, that's a good point - the portrait of my daughter above was framed and focused using the G1 articulating LCD.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ray

Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    I recently bought a Sony C Mount 16-64mm f/2 Zoom Lens from eBay at an el cheapo price (still to arrive), just to see exactly how a range of focal lengths perform with m4/3s:
    The thing I was really interested in was the effective FOV with C mount lenses, compared to M mount lenses ie, is 64mm actually something like 50/55/60mm, rather than the opposite that you get with 35mm lenses. I've never actually seen anything that describes whether you're getting a wider, equivalent or narrower FOV.
    I've read this twice now and I still don't quite get exactly what you mean. A 60mm will be a 60mm no matter what you throw it on. The only difference will be the angle of view that the sensor captures. A 35mm film / sensor just happens to catch a larger area of the exact same projected image.

I'm not sure if you're thinking that the numbers translate to effective view or something because its from a different format or if your wondering what it'll be like when you take into account the losses due to lack of coverage.

For instance ... I've got a 12mm C mount and it captures exactly the same view as the 9-18mm does (set to 12mm) ... just that I get less image as it looses the corners due to lack of coverage.

So it ends up (when I crop to reduce the vignetting) being more or less the same as my 14mm (except still with some vignetting ; -)

As far as lenses go, its really small, so if you were after something for the EP to compliment the 17mm that was manual and bright, I'd go for one of these

I paid about $12 on ebay for mine (my adaptor cost more!)
    Being C mount and Sony I'm guessing that its oriented for TV or perhaps 8mm or 16mm, so this may effect how much coverage you get out of it (like will it darken the corners)

Post Thanks / Like

The swivel LCD of the G1/GH1 is clearly a strength:

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

OzRay

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi Ray

I've read this twice now and I still don't quite get exactly what you mean. A 60mm will be a 60mm no matter what you throw it on. The only difference will be the angle of view that the sensor captures. A 35mm film / sensor just happens to catch a larger area of the exact same projected image.

I'm not sure if you're thinking that the numbers translate to effective view or something because its from a different format or if your wondering what it'll be like when you take into account the losses due to lack of coverage.

For instance ... I've got a 12mm C mount and it captures exactly the same view as the 9-18mm does (set to 12mm) ... just that I get less image as it looses the corners due to lack of coverage.

So it ends up (when I crop to reduce the vignetting) being more or less the same as my 14mm (except still with some vignetting ; -)

As far as lenses go, its really small, so if you were after something for the EP to compliment the 17mm that was manual and bright, I'd go for one of these

I paid about $12 on ebay for mine (my adaptor cost more!)
    Being C mount and Sony I'm guessing that its oriented for TV or perhaps 8mm or 16mm, so this may effect how much coverage you get out of it (like will it darken the corners)
    You've answered my question. I understand that from an optics point of view, 60mm is 60mm regardless of the format. But when a lens designed for a particular fromat is used on different formats, the effective FOV changes. So a 60mm (or 12mm in your example) designed for say C mount will work, more or less, like a 60mm designed for 4/3s (notwithstanding vignetting with the widest lenses).

That's great to know, as now I don't have to try and concert focal lengths into 4/3s terms when looking at C mount lenses that I may want to buy.

Cheers

Ray