The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with E-P2

O

OzRay

Hi Ray

I've read this twice now and I still don't quite get exactly what you mean. A 60mm will be a 60mm no matter what you throw it on. The only difference will be the angle of view that the sensor captures. A 35mm film / sensor just happens to catch a larger area of the exact same projected image.

I'm not sure if you're thinking that the numbers translate to effective view or something because its from a different format or if your wondering what it'll be like when you take into account the losses due to lack of coverage.

For instance ... I've got a 12mm C mount and it captures exactly the same view as the 9-18mm does (set to 12mm) ... just that I get less image as it looses the corners due to lack of coverage.

So it ends up (when I crop to reduce the vignetting) being more or less the same as my 14mm (except still with some vignetting ; -)

As far as lenses go, its really small, so if you were after something for the EP to compliment the 17mm that was manual and bright, I'd go for one of these

I paid about $12 on ebay for mine (my adaptor cost more!)
Being C mount and Sony I'm guessing that its oriented for TV or perhaps 8mm or 16mm, so this may effect how much coverage you get out of it (like will it darken the corners)
You've answered my question. I understand that from an optics point of view, 60mm is 60mm regardless of the format. But when a lens designed for a particular fromat is used on different formats, the effective FOV changes. So a 60mm (or 12mm in your example) designed for say C mount will work, more or less, like a 60mm designed for 4/3s (notwithstanding vignetting with the widest lenses). :)

That's great to know, as now I don't have to try and concert focal lengths into 4/3s terms when looking at C mount lenses that I may want to buy.

Cheers

Ray