Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fun with E-P2

Post Thanks / Like

Fun with E-P2

I did not get along with the E-P1 mainly because I missed an EVF. Now with the E-P2 the EVF is very impressive. I like the swivel a lot.

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with E-P2

Enjoy the the new camera!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Enjoy the the new camera!
    This is a review camera. But I may end up buying one. The EVF makes a big difference.

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Uwe, did you have the E-P1 before? Did you notice any major improvements?

OzRay

Owning a Pen 1 and a Pen 2, I can wholeheartedly agree that the EVF makes a world of difference (especially for those relegated to wearing glasses), and notably when using manual focus lenses. But it's not a Panasonic, so it sadly won't get much interest here.

Cheers

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

the first thing that wow'd me when I had a play with the EP2 in store was the EVF. I wish my GH1 had an EVF like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MRfanny View Post
    the first thing that wow'd me when I had a play with the EP2 in store was the EVF. I wish my GH1 had an EVF like that.
    Perhaps the upcoming Panasonic camera will have an improved EVF - the G1/GH1 EVF has served well... surely there's an improved model due.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Perhaps the upcoming Panasonic camera will have an improved EVF - the G1/GH1 EVF has served well... surely there's an improved model due.

Cheers

Brian
    I am almost sure the next Panasonic model like GF2 will have a much improved EVF like the EP2. Actually these types of display become now state of the art.

I hope that Panasonic integrated the EVF into the camera, that should be possible without making it too much bigger, and of course keep the normal display as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a new, high res EVF to fit the existing GF1.

It's not as if the arrival of a high res EVF is a surprise... Panasonic could have planned for it in their GF1 interface.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I get "review" cameras (any brand/make) I will surely have fun with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    It's not too late for you to start a blog... cheaper in time and effort to buy your own

Respect to Uwe, I've enjoyed his site for years... and discovered some excellent products/discounts (Lightzone, PhotoAcute etc) through his work.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, a blog. Sure.

If everyone starts a blog and "review" everything...

Post Thanks / Like

Not always true. If you review cameras and own much better ones.

But the new EVF makes a big difference. The first EVF that shows how world without mirror may look like. And future EVFs will be even better.
    Last edited by ustein; 19th January 2010 at 09:06.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Not always true. If you review cameras and own much better ones.

But the new EVF makes a big difference. The first EVF that shows how world wothout mirror may look like. And future EVFs will be even better.
    I did not mean to drag a verdict out of you, Uwe.

Yes, indeed the EVF is the BIG feature of the E-P2 (should have been there in the EP during the curtain raise). Fabulous optics.

Yes, to the swivel LCD screens in all future cams!

Quite frankly, I appreciate the G1 and m4/3rds (as of now) precisely because (IMHO) they took off no thanks to any review sites.
    Last edited by Vivek; 19th January 2010 at 08:41.

Post Thanks / Like

I got excited early on about the G1 and later the GH1. Good optics pays off with both cameras. The G1 had the best EVF I had seen at that time and is still good to use. The E-P1 was not for me because I don't want to use the LCD all the time to compose (also not a good position to stabilize the camera). The EVF of the E-P2 fixed this big time. The camera's AF is still slow (no big issue for me though). Yes, tilting EVF is the way to go.

For my first shots I used the Olympus 4/3 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 zoom. This zoom shows good contrast, is reasonable fast and is not too big.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quite frankly, I appreciate the G1 and m4/3rds (as of now) precisely because (IMHO) they took off no thanks to any review sites.
    I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion... the review sites made a big deal of the G1 being the first ever m4/3rds camera - it's a shame they completely forgot that and credited the E-P1 with being the first ever m4/3rds (*cough* rangefinder style m4/3rds camera more recently)

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Uwe, would you say there's a significant difference in viewing quality between the G1/GH1 EVF and the E-P2 EVF? can you describe how?

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion... the review sites made a big deal of the G1 being the first ever m4/3rds camera - it's a shame they completely forgot that and credited the E-P1 with being the first ever m4/3rds (*cough* rangefinder style m4/3rds camera more recently)

Cheers

Brian

You answered your own question, Brian. Perhaps those who now contend that the E-P1 was the first m4/3rds camera were privy to seeing what was behind the curtain and were given the curtain as a reward after it was raised and now they have covered themselves with it.

They would perhaps blendtec their "techniques" and would present something stunning.

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe, would you say there's a significant difference in viewing quality between the G1/GH1 EVF and the E-P2 EVF? can you describe how?

Cheers

Brian
    This is a first impression: Better contrast and also good refresh rate. But I find the swivel for the EVF at least as important. Just love it. This allows me to hold the E-P2 + 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 on the lens barrel (like to old Sony P&S cameras).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I did not get along with the E-P1 mainly because I missed an EVF. Now with the E-P2 the EVF is very impressive. I like the swivel a lot.

Very nice shot. I am curious on how you processed it.

Thanks,

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

- Lightroom (very basic tuning)
    - CS4
    - Skew correction
    - My script Contrast Plus
    - Sharpening with my script EasyDS LE
    - Frame with own script (used as Droplet from Lightroom)

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a first impression: Better contrast and also good refresh rate. But I find the swivel for the EVF at least as important. Just love it. This allows me to hold the E-P2 + 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 on the lens barrel (like to old Sony P&S cameras).
    Thanks Uwe, that's good to hear!

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Uwe. I guess that the EVF for the GF1 pales by comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

High resolution EVF is integral to the market

Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    Owning a Pen 1 and a Pen 2, I can wholeheartedly agree that the EVF makes a world of difference (especially for those relegated to wearing glasses), and notably when using manual focus lenses. But it's not a Panasonic, so it sadly won't get much interest here.

Cheers

Ray
    I think the E-P2 should get interest, it may not have the focusing speed of the Panasonics but since so many enthusiasts use manual lenses, that doesn't really come into play. The EVF is what Olympus should have had available for the E-P1. I think that both Olympus and Panasonic misjudged the market to an extent, thinking the cameras would sell mostly to migrators from P&S's who generally only had LCD's to use anyway. Enthusiasts need the high res. EVF to make the most of the manual lenses.

OzRay

Re: High resolution EVF is integral to the market

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    I think the E-P2 should get interest, it may not have the focusing speed of the Panasonics but since so many enthusiasts use manual lenses, that doesn't really come into play. The EVF is what Olympus should have had available for the E-P1. I think that both Olympus and Panasonic misjudged the market to an extent, thinking the cameras would sell mostly to migrators from P&S's who generally only had LCD's to use anyway. Enthusiasts need the high res. EVF to make the most of the manual lenses.
    I fully agree with you there. As soon as the Pen 2 was available in Australia, I went to check out the EVF and bought the body on the spot. I've got a case full of manual lenses and don't intend to use the 14-42mm that came with the Pen 1. All the talk about AF speed is completely irrelevant to me and, frankly, I don't know why it features in so many discussions.

But what I really meant in my comment was that this forum appears to be highly Panasonic centric and Olympus cameras seem to be of little interest to the majority of participants. So when someone posts about Olympus m4/3s, the interest factor appears to be pretty close to zero in most cases. No real problem there, if Olympus m4/3s doesn't float your boat, that's a personal choice.

Cheers

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Ray,

dpreview made a big deal of the difference (in reality, we're talking 10ths of a second - which translates to a difference in feel / responsiveness rather than actual photographic advantage imho) - and subsequently, just about every purchaser of the GF1 on the dpreview cites it as a major feature in their purchasing decision.

Huge kudos to the respected reviewer for influencing the echo chamber... just a shame so many are missing the pleasure of this classic cam.

Obviously, there are strong proponents of both camera bodies in conflict over one feature vs another being important to their own preference - which causes more healthy debate actually... but when we start talking about lenses, where the respected reviewers were more 'on the ball' there's no argument and most people happily get on with enjoying their choice!

Anyhow, this forum used to be heavily focused on photography, with some strong characters who know exactly what they want so all of the above was irrelevant.

Enjoy your camera of choice, don't worry about what the majority of people have been led to believe

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Mosley; 19th January 2010 at 22:15. Reason: No 'banging head on wall' emoticon ;)

OzRay

Brian

That's effectively what I observed; however, I learned about slow AF with the E1, covering Australian Rules Football of all things, but managed pretty well nonetheless. It was always about lenses anyway and that was pretty much what kept me in the Olympus fold, despite the fact that my peers in the newspaper used Nikon/Canon. And they still wonder how I get the shots that I do.

I also do a lot of travelling, so I was getting thoroughly tired of hauling around a DSLR kit (small(ish) as it was compared to the others) and the m4/3s concept was what I'd been waiting for, for a long time. As I've stated elsewhere, I didn't want a DSLR style camera, no matter how small, so the first Panasonic iterations didn't interest me in the least. When the Pen came out, I got the first one in Australia (so I was told) and just loved the style. Had the GF-1 come out before the Pen, it may well have been my first m4/3s (I have a Panasonic LX2 that I quite like and was considering an LX3 when the Pen was announced).

So it's all swings and roundabouts in the long run. For me, m4/3s is a working camera (with hopefully some time left for pleasure), but I haven't been able to fully put it to use just yet, but I think it has a great future. If I worried about what the majority believed, I'd be touting Nikon/Canon at the moment.

Cheers

Ray

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Ray,

Huge kudos to the respected reviewer for influencing the echo chamber... just a shame so many are missing the pleasure of this classic cam.
    Did you miss what Uwe said about reviewing being a chore when the reviewer owns better cameras?

Classic, how?

Because Olympus are trying to connect the (real) Pen F to this?

I tried the EP in shops and it did not entice me, despite its looks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did you miss what Uwe said about reviewing being a chore when the reviewer owns better cameras?
    I assumed he was talking about his D3x with Zeiss lenses?

Classic, how?

from dpreview of M9 - another classic camera imho

Because Olympus are trying to connect the (real) Pen F to this?
    I won't be shooting with film I'm afraid... this is the closest thing in body design style we have. I'd like it to be Leica inspired manual control simple... but that's not how it's designed to be. The techie in me doesn't mind

I tried the EP in shops and it did not entice me, despite its looks.
    The first time I looked at a Land Rover, it looked ugly... when I drove it through a swamp and out the other side, I was in love

All imho

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for expanding on what you were saying.

This is why I like discussion fora like this than "reviews".

The real Pen during its time was innovative and was on the cutting edge. Still some of its features (1/500s flash sync, for example) is unmatched while the E-P plays (and continues to play) second fiddle to the G1 in terms of features and versatility.

If looks alone makes camera "classic" then there are many cute ones.

Have you seen the Olympus O(h)?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

But what I really meant in my comment was that this forum appears to be highly Panasonic centric ...
    the interest factor appears to be pretty close to zero in most cases. ...
    if Olympus m4/3s doesn't float your boat, that's a personal choice.
    well, speaking as an Aussie who spends Aussie Dollars here in the EU (where they're worth less and I can't get stuff from the US like I could in Oz without paying protection money) my only disappointment in the Olympus was that the EP-1 was without an EVF, came well after I bought my G1 and the EP-2 seems to be 400 Euro more than I paid for my G1 (that's AU$600)

I suspect the Panasonic bias here comes from the fact that among this group there are more early adopters

... having said all that I was thinking that the place had a more Pen slant than G1 slant ... so perhaps its down to what one notices?

I would be quite happy to jump ship to an Oly with the swivel finder as I would use my rear screen for way less than 20% of images. I prefer the battery system on the Oly (which as far as I know is yet to prevent usage of non Oly batterys) which I believe will also work with other Oly cameras (not sure if its many or any).

but its interesting you say the forum has a Panasonic bias cos being a panasonic owner I of course didn't notice it :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You know, among other things, that "G1?, we don't need a stinking G1.." thread helped contribute a trickle.

I really thought that Oly would at least try to match what G1 had. Even after two iterations, they let me down.

Post Thanks / Like

Ray

another question if you don't mind ...

I also do a lot of travelling, so I was getting thoroughly tired of hauling around a DSLR kit (small(ish)
    me too ... so that was a major consideration for me also

as it was compared to the others) and the m4/3s concept was what I'd been waiting for, for a long time. As I've stated elsewhere, I didn't want a DSLR style camera, no matter how small, so the first Panasonic iterations didn't interest me in the least.
    considering the G1 screen pops around the back to allow you to use it as a point n shoot (like my wife prefers) and given the bulkiness of the EP-2 pop on the flash shoe affair I am not sure I see the difference?

this is not meant to be a "smarty pants" question, but I'm genuinely interested. In a shop recently my wife didn't like the GF or EP-1 because it didn't have the grip that the G1 has (and her Canon powershot has a small grip).

especially when you say:

Had the GF-1 come out before the Pen, it may well have been my first m4/3s (I have a Panasonic LX2 that I quite like and was considering an LX3 when the Pen was announced).
    I wanted something I can hang from a backpack harness loop or preferably slip into a side netting, the G1 doesn't really do that with the kit zoom, so is that what did it? Its one of the reasons (DoF and simplicity being among the others) that I am looking carfully at the 20f1.7

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But what I really meant in my comment was that this forum appears to be highly Panasonic centric and Olympus cameras seem to be of little interest to the majority of participants. So when someone posts about Olympus m4/3s, the interest factor appears to be pretty close to zero in most cases. No real problem there, if Olympus m4/3s doesn't float your boat, that's a personal choice.

Cheers

Ray
    A lot of people bought the G1 and waited for the GF1 as it makes a good compliment as the menu structure and controls are similar. Some have complimented the G1 with the Pen to have one body with IBIS.

The third group that I am in bought the Pen and then sold it. When the E-P1 was released there were quite a few users here and many threads going about the camera. The reasons for sale were varied like the launch of the M9, or launch of the GF1. I sold mine because I was not wild about the Oly interface. If someone were to take the Leica X1 interface and put it back in a Pen camera, I would rebuy. AF speed was not my bugaboo but I do appreciate how zippy the GF1 is. Those 10ths of a second are noticeable - if you aren't exclusively using manual lenses.

I think the other difference in airplay is that the owners of the G series are more inclined to be using it as their primary system. You tend to post more about what you use everyday. If you read the polls (done here) and other threads, mostly every owner of the G1/GH1 and GF1 says if they could only keep one of the cameras the GF1 would be the one to be sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's also possible that those more inclined to populate on-line forums have been influenced by the on-line respected reviewers to go out and buy a fast focusing GF1, and then perpetuate the idea that a fast focusing GF1 is the way for other on-line forum participants to go...

That's how the snowball rolls... downhill fast

There are other photographers who've gone from GF1 to E-P1, GF1 to E-P2, GF1 to GH1 and G1... they all make a post if you look out for them.

I'd be interested to know, whether the majority of GF1 owners feel able to shoot jpeg? and whether the majority of Pen owners feel able to shoot action?

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brian, They are all there to advertise several cams of various brands and models. If someone of that says today this cam is better than that and the next week they will be promoting another brand and model. "Reviews" might (or might not) influence the novices and online buyers who buy something without reading/looking/trying a camera. Any salesman can influence such people. There is no need for annointing any middlemen for that.

The fact is "reviewers" make money for rehashing something that is discussed in more details in open fora.

They do nothing for the buyers or the sellers.

That's how the snowball rolls... downhill fast

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers

Ray
    EDIT: Well, I would have been better off to continue reading the thread before commenting, but, late as I am in jumping in here, I'll let it stay.

Don't you think its because the G1 was the first m4/3rds and so many here bought it? Then--waiting for the second body and thinking about doing without an EVF for MF shooting, the EP-1 didn't fit as well into the mix and a number bought the GF1, myself included??

HAD the EP-2 come out first--I may have been much more willing to consider it as a second body with the detachable but wonderful EVF (and articulating, but the GF1's does that also at any angle). I looked at the EP-1 when it came out (already had had the G1 since Dec. 08) and it just wasn't a good fit for me--so I bought the 17 f/2.8 by itself. Now I'm not willing to sell the GF1 (frankly, though the EVF isn't nearly as good, it works fine for me for even MF shooting) to buy the EP-2---and so there isn't, at the moment any other Olympus m4/3rds to consider.

Down the line, I'll look at both--I came from many many years of Canon--so I have no loyalty at all to either mfg. of my second system. Just that right now, G1 was my first m4/3rds and its GF1 fit into my photographic needs better.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 20th January 2010 at 06:37.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Many old system lenses were used on G1 before companies (existing or new) started to make the adapters for lenses and the "reviewers" were able to get hold of any such adapters.

That was a key difference with G1.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the initial photos a lot because I used the 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 Olympus zoom. This is a very nice zoom to use. Why not using it on the G1? I could. but now I lose image stabilization because the G1 does not support in body IS.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

The in-body IS is certainly a nice-to-have, but I seem to remember a time when we boldly shot away with no IS whatsoever. Good camera technique and the ISO flexibility and performance we enjoy today go a long way to mitigating the requirement for IS.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    The in-body IS is certainly a nice-to-have, but I seem to remember a time when we boldly shot away with no IS whatsoever. Good camera technique and the ISO flexibility and performance we enjoy today go a long way to mitigating the requirement for IS.

Cheers,
    Yes they do and it can be stretched using IS .
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I just love that photo!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    I just love that photo!!!
    Thanks.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

OzRay

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    considering the G1 screen pops around the back to allow you to use it as a point n shoot (like my wife prefers) and given the bulkiness of the EP-2 pop on the flash shoe affair I am not sure I see the difference?

this is not meant to be a "smarty pants" question, but I'm genuinely interested. In a shop recently my wife didn't like the GF or EP-1 because it didn't have the grip that the G1 has (and her Canon powershot has a small grip).

especially when you say:

I wanted something I can hang from a backpack harness loop or preferably slip into a side netting, the G1 doesn't really do that with the kit zoom, so is that what did it? Its one of the reasons (DoF and simplicity being among the others) that I am looking carfully at the 20f1.7
    As I mentioned earlier, I simply didn't want another DSLR look-a-like, no matter how small, I recently sold my E-410 for that reason. I really liked the LX2, but found the body too small and the lack of lens versatility a shortfall, though it does get a fair bit of use even now. The Pen fit the bill perfectly and the GF1 would have done so as well, but it just came out too late for me.

I didn't want a camera with a pop-up fash, as I've found them to be pretty much useless. Not being able to use an external flash when the EVF is attached to the Pen is a bit of a bummer, but I suspect there'll be a solution to this in good time. For example, it could easily be implemented with an offset viewfinder with a hotshoe.

I'm very familiar with the Olympus menu system and find the super control menu one of the easiest thing to work with, so that wasn't an issue for me. And I guess the fact that all of my Olympus lenses will work with the Pen was a bonus. That said, I don't use them that often, as I prefer my M mount lenses. The in-body IS works really well here, as I can handhold even my Nikon 300mm (OK, it's not M mount) when using the Pen and the Pen 2 EVF has elevated things to a new level.

I'm not concerned that the Pen isn't pocketable like the LX2, but what I really like is that it doesn't scream out and scare people like my E3 and 14-35mm, for example. It's also far more easy to cart around. That's where the travelling bit on planes comes into it as well; I can toss just about my entire kit into a small carry-on case that has everything that I need, including clothes for a few days etc.

I guess the fact that Panasonic came out first means that there are more Panasonic users out there and the fact that the Pen got a poor report in reviews about it's AF performance, even though I think it was somewhat over-blown, increased the sales of Panasonic m4/3s cameras. Also, I think that existing Panasonic users were hungering for a new camera, since Panasonic more or less abandoned 4/3s in 2007, so the excitement of Panasonic owners probably exceeds that of Olympus owners, who have been able to keep updating on a constant basis.

I'm by no means putting down Panasonic gear, I reckon it's great, but I've observed both here and that other place (DPR) that there seems to be more of an us and them relationship between Olympus and Panasonic owners, much like between Canon/Nikon owners, rather than mutual bonding in adversity. By adversity, I mean the constant put downs by other brand owners of the m4/3s system (another solution looking for a probem?), until their brand/s comes up with a suitable answer.

Cheers

Ray

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ray, Both the brands (Oly and Pana) use Pana sensors. Just the package is slightly different. Canon make their own sensors and Nikon buy it from Sony or get them fabricated by Sony and others besides having very different mounts.

The m4/3rds, as I disclosed a long time ago, essentially has the Olympus pen F mount, used by Panasonic in their CCTV cameras for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Ray

thanks for your answer. Particularly the "doesn't scare people" is one of the reasons I'm tempted by the GF (now that I have a G1), I must say however I have been considering an EP because (as a legacy lens user) I would like to try the IS on the Oly

OzRay

Ray, Both the brands (Oly and Pana) use Pana sensors. Just the package is slightly different. Canon make their own sensors and Nikon buy it from Sony or get them fabricated by Sony and others besides having very different mounts.

The m4/3rds, as I disclosed a long time ago, essentially has the Olympus pen F mount, used by Panasonic in their CCTV cameras for a long time.
    Yep, know that. The big difference between Panasonic and Olympus are their ASICs and how they implement their image processing algorithms (with the current Panasonic sensor). The interesting thing about sensors is that Kodak is getting back into the scene in a big way and there's also Sanyo that makes some interesting stuff. Foveon is lost in the woods and, according to some reports, would be a dead loss anyway, despite its apparent attractions. So in this regard, Olympus is not wedded to Panasonic in any way and may diverge at any time.

Since I haven't used a Pansonic 4/3s or m4/3s, I don't know how any of them compare to Olympus 4/3s or m4/3s, though it's clear the implementation is different, based on views on this and other forums. I always loved, and still do, the Kodak sensor in the E1. I still have my first E1, as I just can't get rid of it, but I do have to send it in one day for a full service. And despite the fact that Olympus no longer use the Kodak sensor, they've done a pretty good job of retaining the great colours it provided in it's follow-on cameras (personal opinion of course).

Never heard about the Pen F mount, but in a way, it would have been nice if the mount was an exact duplicate so that the old Pen lenses had fitted m4/3s, maybe.

On another note, having read today, Michael Reichmann's latest missive on what Leica should be doing to secure the future of their rangefinder line, I reckon he's taken a bundle of ideas from m4/3s. When I pick up my Pen 2, I reckon I've got the closest approximation to what he's dreaming about.

Cheers

Ray

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The similarity of the pen F mount to the m4/3rds mount was the key to me being able to make the Leica and pen F adapters that were reported here.

Initially, I just used pen F lenses (40/1.4 and 38/3.5 Macro) straight on with a shim to hold the lens, on my G1. Focus scales were off due to differences in registries.

The pen F mount (slight variation) was already used by Panasonic in the VW cameras (registry is very different). Also, Panasonic made a variety of adapters to use Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Olympus lenses on their CCTV cams via a c-mount. These c-mount adapters are very well made.

OzRay

I recently bought a Sony C Mount 16-64mm f/2 Zoom Lens from eBay at an el cheapo price (still to arrive), just to see exactly how a range of focal lengths perform with m4/3s:

It may end up being a complete crock, but hey, if you don't try, you'll never know. The thing I was really interested in was the effective FOV with C mount lenses, compared to M mount lenses ie, is 64mm actually something like 50/55/60mm, rather than the opposite that you get with 35mm lenses. I've never actually seen anything that describes whether you're getting a wider, equivalent or narrower FOV.

Cheers

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

>When I pick up my Pen 2, I reckon I've got the closest approximation to what he's dreaming about.

Yes, plus AF and video thrown in.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------