The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with E-P2

ustein

Contributing Editor
I did not get along with the E-P1 mainly because I missed an EVF. Now with the E-P2 the EVF is very impressive. I like the swivel a lot.

O

OzRay

Owning a Pen 1 and a Pen 2, I can wholeheartedly agree that the EVF makes a world of difference (especially for those relegated to wearing glasses), and notably when using manual focus lenses. But it's not a Panasonic, so it sadly won't get much interest here.

Cheers

Ray

MRfanny

the first thing that wow'd me when I had a play with the EP2 in store was the EVF. I wish my GH1 had an EVF like that.

Brian Mosley

the first thing that wow'd me when I had a play with the EP2 in store was the EVF. I wish my GH1 had an EVF like that.
Perhaps the upcoming Panasonic camera will have an improved EVF - the G1/GH1 EVF has served well... surely there's an improved model due.

Cheers

Brian

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Perhaps the upcoming Panasonic camera will have an improved EVF - the G1/GH1 EVF has served well... surely there's an improved model due.

Cheers

Brian
I am almost sure the next Panasonic model like GF2 will have a much improved EVF like the EP2. Actually these types of display become now state of the art.

I hope that Panasonic integrated the EVF into the camera, that should be possible without making it too much bigger, and of course keep the normal display as well.

Brian Mosley

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a new, high res EVF to fit the existing GF1.

It's not as if the arrival of a high res EVF is a surprise... Panasonic could have planned for it in their GF1 interface.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

If I get "review" cameras (any brand/make) I will surely have fun with them.:D

Brian Mosley

It's not too late for you to start a blog... cheaper in time and effort to buy your own :ROTFL:

Respect to Uwe, I've enjoyed his site for years... and discovered some excellent products/discounts (Lightzone, PhotoAcute etc) through his work.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Oh, a blog. Sure.

If everyone starts a blog and "review" everything...

ustein

Contributing Editor
Not always true. If you review cameras and own much better ones.

But the new EVF makes a big difference. The first EVF that shows how world without mirror may look like. And future EVFs will be even better.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Not always true. If you review cameras and own much better ones.

But the new EVF makes a big difference. The first EVF that shows how world wothout mirror may look like. And future EVFs will be even better.
I did not mean to drag a verdict out of you, Uwe. ;)

Yes, indeed the EVF is the BIG feature of the E-P2 (should have been there in the EP during the curtain raise). Fabulous optics.

Yes, to the swivel LCD screens in all future cams!:)

Quite frankly, I appreciate the G1 and m4/3rds (as of now) precisely because (IMHO) they took off no thanks to any review sites.

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
I got excited early on about the G1 and later the GH1. Good optics pays off with both cameras. The G1 had the best EVF I had seen at that time and is still good to use. The E-P1 was not for me because I don't want to use the LCD all the time to compose (also not a good position to stabilize the camera). The EVF of the E-P2 fixed this big time. The camera's AF is still slow (no big issue for me though). Yes, tilting EVF is the way to go.

For my first shots I used the Olympus 4/3 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 zoom. This zoom shows good contrast, is reasonable fast and is not too big.

Brian Mosley

Quite frankly, I appreciate the G1 and m4/3rds (as of now) precisely because (IMHO) they took off no thanks to any review sites.
I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion... the review sites made a big deal of the G1 being the first ever m4/3rds camera - it's a shame they completely forgot that and credited the E-P1 with being the first ever m4/3rds (*cough* rangefinder style m4/3rds camera more recently) :wtf:

Cheers

Brian

Brian Mosley

Uwe, would you say there's a significant difference in viewing quality between the G1/GH1 EVF and the E-P2 EVF? can you describe how?

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion... the review sites made a big deal of the G1 being the first ever m4/3rds camera - it's a shame they completely forgot that and credited the E-P1 with being the first ever m4/3rds (*cough* rangefinder style m4/3rds camera more recently) :wtf:

Cheers

Brian

You answered your own question, Brian. Perhaps those who now contend that the E-P1 was the first m4/3rds camera were privy to seeing what was behind the curtain and were given the curtain as a reward after it was raised and now they have covered themselves with it.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

They would perhaps blendtec their "techniques" and would present something stunning.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe, would you say there's a significant difference in viewing quality between the G1/GH1 EVF and the E-P2 EVF? can you describe how?

Cheers

Brian
This is a first impression: Better contrast and also good refresh rate. But I find the swivel for the EVF at least as important. Just love it. This allows me to hold the E-P2 + 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 on the lens barrel (like to old Sony P&S cameras).