Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Results 351 to 394 of 394

Thread: Panasonic 7-14

  1. #351
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    My first post on this site. I've had the OM-D for a few weeks now although I haven't used it much. The OM-D is a nice lightweight system and it actually takes fantastic pictures. In fact, the IQ is good enough for me to think seriously about dumping my Canon 5D II, 24L, 85L, 70-200L II, et al. For sure, my Canon will not be going on another trip with me, so I may as well get rid of it so I can buy some more amazing lenses like the 75/1.8, 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8. The Canon has served me well, but it's time to move on to better things. The bulk and weight of the DSLR is just too much for me, and I frankly think FF is overrated to an extent. The OM-D can certainly replace my 5D II and the 7-14 is definitely one of my favorite lenses.
    Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #352
    Member jnewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    I bought the 7-14 with some concern about it being too specialized. I was wrong, and your pics certainly show it strengths nicely.

  3. #353
    Member ErikTande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Chicago, 3 pics at 7mm with a 60 second exposure stitched together

    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #354
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Quote Originally Posted by Skridlovian View Post
    I'm a long-term Nikon user who acquired an OMD a few months ago. My D700 hasn't done much since. I've had the Nikon 14-24 2.8 since it was first released so the Panasonic 7-14 is an appealing equivalent given the general approval and many of the images posted. Right now it's hard to justify (OK: afford) this lens given that I have the Nikkor - which I can't bear to sell even though I don't use it a lot.

    A couple of comments. Many of the shots posted here and elsewhere show conspicuous keystoning - which is obviously unavoidable in some circumstances. However where the vertical angles aren't extreme, I'm really surprised that people aren't correcting this extremely unsightly effect; it's often accompanied by the shot being out of level too, which is glaringly obvious with subjects that include architecture. I'd have thought that any IQ loss caused by PP correction of these effects would be hugely compensated.

    The other characteristic that nobody except me seems to mind - and it applies to both of the lenses above, and no doubt all others at these extremely short focal lengths, is the "volume anamorphosis" distortion. This is most apparent where there are people toward the edge of the shot who appear disturbingly broadened. Obviously these aren't portrait focal lengths but the effect can be seen even with inanimate subjects, variably. The stretching effect is particularly noticeable where there are circular or spherical elements at the periphery of the shot .

    As far as I'm aware the only RAW processor that corrects this is DxO, and I'm not sure whether the 7-14 is amongst their mapped lenses, or even if this correction can be applied to any lens of appropriate FL. They offer two different correction strategies.
    Volume anamorphosis correction
    Given that I have four RAW processors already I find it hard to justify (again!) buying this software however it's definitely worth downloading an evaluation copy to see if this facility makes a worthwhile difference.

    Roy
    I agree about needing to correct the distortion. I use the transform functions in CS to do this. It needs to be used carefully and scale compensation is always required or you end up with verticals which are compressed rather than corrected.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #355
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    GH1 with Panasonic 7-14 @ 8mm and f/5.6

    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #356
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Lovely shot TJU.

    I keep trying to persuade travellers that wide angle is often prefereable to telephoto - if you have to travel with just one zoom.

    Your shot is an excellent example.

    Tony

  7. #357
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Thanks, Tony. I rarely bring anything longer than a 150mm eqv. when travelling anymore, and the 7-14 is what is mounted on my camera much of the time.

  8. #358
    bobby_t1
    Guest

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    FYI - Amazon has the Panaonic 7-14 in stock and on sale for $889. This thread with that price might finally convince me to pull the trigger!

    Amazon.com: Panasonic 7-14mm f/4.0 Micro Four Thirds Lens for Panasonic Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

  9. #359
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Making the point about travel photography:-

    Selection of 100 pictures

    All but the overtly night time shots are with the 7-14.

    Tony
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #360
    Member ErikTande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    I think I lost my lens cap for my 7-14mm... Any idea where I can order a new one?

  11. #361
    Member biomed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    The 7~14 is one of my favorite lenses. This example shot with the lens mounted on a G1 body. Lens set to 7mm, f/8, 1.6 sec, ISO 200. Camera on tripod. I apologize for the large size of this image, but I wanted to show the fine detail captured.

    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #362
    Member jnewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikTande View Post
    I think I lost my lens cap for my 7-14mm... Any idea where I can order a new one?
    I bought one but I don't remember where - I am pretty sure I found I had to order it from Panasonic (which was surprising and annoying). It's worth quickly searching B&H and Adorama for new caps and KEH for a used cap.

  13. #363
    Member ErikTande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Quote Originally Posted by jnewell View Post
    I bought one but I don't remember where - I am pretty sure I found I had to order it from Panasonic (which was surprising and annoying). It's worth quickly searching B&H and Adorama for new caps and KEH for a used cap.
    Any idea what the size is? Is it 87mm?
    Olympus LC-87 87mm Lens Cap 260024 B&H Photo Video

  14. #364
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    It costs much less than that if you call Panasonic and order it from them. I got one from them a while back and it was about $10 + postage as I recall. . . . Don't know the size in mm.

  15. #365
    Senior Member RonSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan USA
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Michigan State Capitol Building, Lansing, MI


    20121107 031a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr
    Ron Smith
    Flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #366
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Davis, California
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikTande View Post
    I think I lost my lens cap for my 7-14mm... Any idea where I can order a new one?
    Erik, After a Google search I found this to confirm the part number

    Panasonic VFC4412 Lens Hood Cover (Front Lens Cap) For H-F007014 Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4.0 Asph Lens

    Link with a picture of the box - 2012

    and then I found this...

    Video Direct: Panasonic VFC4412 Lens Hood Cover (Front Lens Cap) For H-F007014 Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4.0 Asph Lens

    Price: $16.95
    Manufacturer: Panasonic
    Man. Part #: VFC4412
    Availability: In Stock

    They appear to sell in the US only.
    Please let us know how they are to deal with.

  17. #367
    Member jnewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Blackwood View Post
    Erik, After a Google search I found this to confirm the part number

    Panasonic VFC4412 Lens Hood Cover (Front Lens Cap) For H-F007014 Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4.0 Asph Lens

    Link with a picture of the box - 2012

    and then I found this...

    Video Direct: Panasonic VFC4412 Lens Hood Cover (Front Lens Cap) For H-F007014 Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4.0 Asph Lens

    Price: $16.95
    Manufacturer: Panasonic
    Man. Part #: VFC4412
    Availability: In Stock

    They appear to sell in the US only.
    Please let us know how they are to deal with.
    Brilliant, Joe! - that jogged my memory and it is in fact the vendor from which I obtained my replacement cap. They were quick and easy to deal with and I'd happily purchase from them again.

    John

  18. #368
    Member ErikTande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Thanks!!!! I just placed my order!

  19. #369
    Member ErikTande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Got my new lens cap! I feel much better not having the lens exposed when it's sitting in my bag. Thanks again for the links!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #370
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    GH2 with Pana 7-14 @ 14mm and f/5.6

    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #371
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    GH1 with Pana 7-14 @ 14mm, f/4, 1/15s and ISO 3200

    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #372
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    The Panasonic GH cameras have totally changed the way I shoot industrial photos. Being able to use the articulated screen and the excellent Pana 7-14 open up a whole new world of angles and perspectives. Here, I have the camera almost at floor level in a location where there isn't room for anything the size of my head between the camera and the wall.

    GH2 with Pana 7-14 @ 9mm and f/4

    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #373
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    yesterday was the Norwegian National Day. We celebrated in Bangkok too

    GH1 with Pana 7-14mm @ 8mm and f/5.0



    GH1 with Pana 7-14mm @ 7mm and f/5.6

    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #374
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    ... and another.

    GH1 with Pana 7-14 @ 9mm and f/5.0

    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #375
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    569

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Slendid Jørgen!
    Thorkil

  26. #376
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Slendid Jørgen!
    Thorkil
    Thank you, Thorkil. Much appreciated

  27. #377
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    You guys are really, really making me want this lens! :-) Thanks for sharing your great images!

    Brad.

  28. #378
    Member biomed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    GH3, 4/7-14
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #379
    Member biomed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #380
    Member biomed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #381
    Member biomed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #382
    Member biomed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #383
    Member biomed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The Panasonic GH cameras have totally changed the way I shoot industrial photos. Being able to use the articulated screen and the excellent Pana 7-14 open up a whole new world of angles and perspectives. Here, I have the camera almost at floor level in a location where there isn't room for anything the size of my head between the camera and the wall.
    That is indeed a huge advantage of the fully articulated screen. When using the GH3/7-14 combo I almost always use the LCD to compose and focus. I don't believe I would shoot much with this lens without this feature.

  34. #384
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Jorgen, biomed...these are some splendid captures!!

    Thanks for sharing.

  35. #385
    Member biomed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Quote Originally Posted by Skridlovian View Post
    I'm a long-term Nikon user who acquired an OMD a few months ago. My D700 hasn't done much since. I've had the Nikon 14-24 2.8 since it was first released so the Panasonic 7-14 is an appealing equivalent given the general approval and many of the images posted. Right now it's hard to justify (OK: afford) this lens given that I have the Nikkor - which I can't bear to sell even though I don't use it a lot.

    A couple of comments. Many of the shots posted here and elsewhere show conspicuous keystoning - which is obviously unavoidable in some circumstances. However where the vertical angles aren't extreme, I'm really surprised that people aren't correcting this extremely unsightly effect; it's often accompanied by the shot being out of level too, which is glaringly obvious with subjects that include architecture. I'd have thought that any IQ loss caused by PP correction of these effects would be hugely compensated.

    The other characteristic that nobody except me seems to mind - and it applies to both of the lenses above, and no doubt all others at these extremely short focal lengths, is the "volume anamorphosis" distortion. This is most apparent where there are people toward the edge of the shot who appear disturbingly broadened. Obviously these aren't portrait focal lengths but the effect can be seen even with inanimate subjects, variably. The stretching effect is particularly noticeable where there are circular or spherical elements at the periphery of the shot .
    As far as I'm aware the only RAW processor that corrects this is DxO, and I'm not sure whether the 7-14 is amongst their mapped lenses, or even if this correction can be applied to any lens of appropriate FL. They offer two different correction strategies.
    Volume anamorphosis correction
    Given that I have four RAW processors already I find it hard to justify (again!) buying this software however it's definitely worth downloading an evaluation copy to see if this facility makes a worthwhile difference.

    Roy
    Roy,
    I agree with you. This lens takes a bit of practice. As with any short lens, awareness of subject placement and keeping the camera level can be critical if distortions are to be kept to a minimum. I strongly recommend using a spirit level mounted in the flash shoe if your camera does not have a built in level. Short lenses will distort more near the FOV. If a person is the main subject try to place them near the center. Distortion can be corrected with software, but extreme correction will result in having to crop a lot of the image. All of this being said, the distortion can be used very creatively. The 7-14 does invite experimentation. The DxO ViewPoint software for correcting wide angle distortion is now $49.00.


    Mike
    Last edited by biomed; 23rd May 2013 at 12:26.

  36. #386
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    It all depends. When I'm shooting for fun, like the 17 May photos, I don't do corrections. Sometimes, I even keep keystoning as a "special effect", like here:



    For commercial shots, I always do corrections, like this one which is heavily corrected using the "Warp" function in PS:


  37. #387
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Balcony at recent holiday destination (Paphos, Cyprus)

    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #388
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    The old Opera House in Saigon.

    GH2 with Pana 7-14mm @ 7mm, f/4 and 1/15s



    GH2 with Pana 7-14mm @ 13mm, f/4 and 1/30s

    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #389
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Golden Gate Bridge from Baker Beach.


    E-P3 + PL 7-14mm @F8 1/640s ISO 200
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #390
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    GH2 with Pana 7-14 @ 7mm and f/5.6

    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #391
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    GH2 with Pana 7-14 @ 7mm and f/5.6

    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #392
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    Quote Originally Posted by biomed View Post
    Roy,
    I agree with you. This lens takes a bit of practice. As with any short lens, awareness of subject placement and keeping the camera level can be critical if distortions are to be kept to a minimum. I strongly recommend using a spirit level mounted in the flash shoe if your camera does not have a built in level. Short lenses will distort more near the FOV. If a person is the main subject try to place them near the center. Distortion can be corrected with software, but extreme correction will result in having to crop a lot of the image. All of this being said, the distortion can be used very creatively. The 7-14 does invite experimentation. The DxO ViewPoint software for correcting wide angle distortion is now $49.00.


    Mike
    Yes, indeed, I'd seen DxO's promotions for this stand-alone function, which I'll be trying soon. However having raised the subject numerous times over the years I've been using UWAs on various different forums I've noticed that very few people seem to care. As opposed to many other less obvious lens "defects". Worrying about minute degrees of "sharpness" on snaps that'll end up in web-sized versions is absurd when confronted by gross geometric distortions - of which there are some hideous examples posted here.

  43. #393
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    GH2 with Pana 7-14 @ 14mm and f/4

    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #394
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Panasonic 7-14

    GH2 with Panasonic 7-14mm @ 8mm and f/4

    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •