The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 7-14

biglouis

I really want to pick this lens up and I found one for sale but I'm hesitant for some reason. I'm really happy with just the 20mm, and I was intending to get the 14mm pancake.

How much do you guys love this lens?
It all depends on how much you think you'll tote the lens in your camera bag. To be honest my 7-14 often gets left at home because it is a relatively large lens in terms of m43 lenses. When I do have it with me, it does product quite astonishing results, although I would judge it to be far superior at the 14mm end than 7mm. That said I have not been impressed (so far) with the test images for the 14/2.8 wide open as shown at Dpreview. The distortion in the examples shown is very poor as is the softness.

LouisB

photoSmart42

Flying over the US from NYC back home to SD. Rented this lens from LensRentals for the weekend, and it worked out nicely. Great lens to have if you're bought into the m4/3 format.

Tesselator

Hi agoglanian,

I noticed recently that Sigma has introduced a 10 -20mm super wide-angle lens for micro 4/3 cameras. It seems like a good alternative to look into since this lens can accommodate a filter for the protection of the front lens element. :)
I would definitely check out the Sigma before committing to either. I haven't seen the Sigma yet but the Lumix (while a really fun focal length!) is fairly poor. Lots of CA and very distorted.

If the Sigma 10-20 that you're talking about is the F3.5 EX DC HSM with 4 aspherical elements and 3 LD elements it's a very nice piece of kit! Heads and shoulders above the Lumix!

Leica 77

I would definitely check out the Sigma before committing to either. I haven't seen the Sigma yet but the Lumix (while a really fun focal length!) is fairly poor. Lots of CA and very distorted.

If the Sigma 10-20 that you're talking about is the F3.5 EX DC HSM with 4 aspherical elements and 3 LD elements it's a very nice piece of kit! Heads and shoulders above the Lumix!
Hi Tesselator, agoglanian, and all,

My apologies for the inadvertent typo. What I meant was the Sigma 10-20mm lens dedicated for 4/3 cameras -- not for micro 4/3 cameras. I recently had an opportunity to actually handle this lens on one of 4/3 cameras and I was impressed by the near absence of distortion at both ends of the focal lengths. With the use of a 4/3 -> micro 4/3 adapter, one can still enjoy the Sigma 10-20mm 4/3 lens with micro 4/3 cameras. Best regards, :)

biglouis

Anchor Boat Tate

Sweeping wide angle view of an embedded anchor exposed in the Thames beach at low tide, with the iconic Bankside Tate Modern in the background.

GF-1 iso320 7mm f6.3 1/80

Leica 77

Hi Louis, jkung, and Dragos,

Wonderful superwide shots from UK, China, and USA!

Here is an image from my travel to Indonesia earlier this year (the year 2010 is almost over :shocked:). "Floral Arrangement". GF1 + 7-14mm. Recorded @f4, 1/60 sec. 14mm. ISO 800. :)

J

jkung

Here also take in summer palace same set with my black and white

biglouis

Leica 77, jkung, Glenn - great pictures and good examples of how to use this lens for dramatic and atmospheric effect.

LouisB

Leica 77

Do you happen to know where I can find more on this lens, please?

Hi Zoran,

My apologies were made two weeks ago in this thread as follows:

Hi Tesselator, agoglanian, and all,

My apologies for the inadvertent typo. What I meant was the Sigma 10-20mm lens dedicated for 4/3 cameras -- not for micro 4/3 cameras. I recently had an opportunity to actually handle this lens on one of 4/3 cameras and I was impressed by the near absence of distortion at both ends of the focal lengths. With the use of a 4/3 -> micro 4/3 adapter, one can still enjoy the Sigma 10-20mm 4/3 lens with micro 4/3 cameras. Best regards, :)
It may be a matter of time that Sigma may indeed introduce the super-wide angle zoom in the 10-20mm range in m4/3 mount. Let us hope so! Best regards, :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Zoran,

My apologies were made two weeks ago in this thread as follows:

It may be a matter of time that Sigma may indeed introduce the super-wide angle zoom in the 10-20mm range in m4/3 mount. Let us hope so! Best regards, :)
I would believe that the Zuiko 9-18mm, both versions, are just as good. Then there's the 11-22mm which is faster and a beautiful lens.