Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Panasonic 7-14

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic 7-14

Is anybody using this lens and what's your opinion

I ask as I'm seriously considering purchasing but it's such a load of dough!

Is it worth the outlay?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Panasonic 7-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh Terry, that was mean.

Go ahead and get your credit card ready, ReeRay -- that thread is very convincing.

I'm busy looking for something to sell so I can get one.....

JT

Post Thanks / Like

I will say had I to do it over again, I might very well have bought the 7-14 instead of the MA-1 and 9-18---though I like it and honestly don't shoot much with a WAZ except under certain circumstances/environments.

In looking at my lens lineup for the G's, I could now have used the 7-14, 20, 45 f/2.8, 45-200 (along with my 14-45, 17 f/2.8---and a number of other FDs at times, but the prior would have been my travel kit).

I'm carrying my 45 f/2.8 instead of the 40 f/1.8 (for which I needed the MA-1 adaptor--and I use with 9-18) and if I need faster in that mid FL range, I'm happy enough with the FD 50 f/1.8. I have a number of other fast FDs that fill in when I want fast primes in specific FLs---so had I been a bit more patient, I could have worked out my gear better. Now--I suspect that it won't be worth my while to try and sell ZD 9-18 and 40 f/1.8 and add additional $$$ for 7-14 at this point--still need my MA-1 for Lensbaby, so I'll stick with what I have--which surely isn't bad LOL.

BUT--just sayin'---consider your total gear and where you want to end up.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

I plan to revisit the 9-18mm with the E-P2. I think the range is great but it maybe a bit slow. On the other side the E-P2 has IS for using the 9-18mm indoors and that may make up about 1 f-stop.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

BUT--just sayin'---consider your total gear and where you want to end up.
    That's the issue isn't it? I have the 20mm pancake and now have the RJ adapter to use my Contax G 45 and 90 lenses

Effectively I'm currently at 40, 90 and 180 - a bit heavy on the long side

The 7-14 (14-28) seems to put me at the wide end nicely and produce a very overall usable range.

I'm off to the recommended thread for details - thanks for the link

Post Thanks / Like

I'm off to the recommended thread for details - thanks for the link
    Conclusion = MUST BUY

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    I plan to revisit the 9-18mm with the E-P2. I think the range is great but it maybe a bit slow. On the other side the E-P2 has IS for using the 9-18mm indoors and that may make up about 1 f-stop.
    the 9-18 indoors is great ... take a peek through this flickr set for some examples

especially if you have some way to cradle the camera in your arms (which the EP-2 finder may allow) you can get good results "body held" to 1/2 a sec

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    ... BUT--just sayin'---consider your total gear and where you want to end up.
    Amen.

My lens kit specific to the G1 is now the following:

Cosmicar 12.5/1.4
    Panasonic 20/1.7
    Konica 40/1.8
    Olympus Pen F 70/2

I haven't used much other than the 20 and 40 since I bought the 20. When I want wider, and full frame (the Cosmicar nets only the central square of the format), I fit the Oly ZD 11-22 onto the DMW-MA1.

I've decided that I want to keep the G1 specific lenses as small and light as possible, so I think my next lens for it is going to be the Lumix G 14/2.8, when that surfaces. I'll make my decisions after it and the Oly 9-18 are released.

The 45/2.8 is also on my very short list, but I'm in no hurry: I like the Konica 40 quite a lot. And I can use any of the FourThirds SLR lenses on the G1 too, so it's not like I'm lacking for options. I sold all the other lenses I found I wasn't using much.

In 2010, I'm concentrating entirely on doing more and more photography. I have enough equipment, and other than a couple of specific bits like the 14/2.8, I really don't want anything more at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can recommend the Panasonic 7-14mm without any reservations, provided you need a WA lens. There's actually no alternatives (except for the Olympus 7-14mm plus adapter) in the market. The widest lens I had was a 12mm Voigtlander for Leica M, and that was only F5.6, and performs nowhere near the Panasonic zoom lens. The Nikon 14-24 is way too bulky and not this range. The other lenses mention in the thread are bulkier and with adapter, etc. etc.

So if you need this range, there's not many alternatives. Fortunately, the lens is extremely good. Unfortunately, Panasonic is aware of all these and the sales price is unreasonably high.

Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

There is actually the ZD 9-18 f/4.0-5.6 which is not a large lens by any means. It requires the 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor (I have the Panny MA-1) the same as the ZD 7-14. Its also a very good lens as evidenced by the photos above. That being said, its not constant aperture and is not as wide, but still usually wide enough for most applications.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Like Godfrey, I've been carrying almost all the time a wide and mid range--in the early summer the 17 f/2.8 and Konica 40 f/1.8, now the 20 and the 45 f/2.8.

The one good thing about my rather 'mashup' of lenses is that I can fit together a kit for a specific day---if I choose the 9-18 with the MA-1, then I can easily add the Lensbaby with the WA converter or FE (which has 4/3rds mount) and the 40 f/1.8 (because it too has a 4/3rds mount--bought and converted before there was a Konica adaptor) since they, too, require the adaptor. Just adding the 20 completes all I need for almost any circumstance (bar the need for a longer than 40)--and if I put the 20 on the GF1 and the MA-1 on the G1 and carry the 2 extra lenses, all in a small bag, I really couldn't ask for much more .

I don't really need any more lenses but it would be nice to reconfigure a bit. My FDs were a drop in the bucket as far as cost--and I get a lot of pleasure from shooting with them--my favorite probably being the 28 f/2.0. I've thought about switching some around/selling-buying, but my current lens lineup does work pretty well.

All that being said---the 7-14, 20, 45 plus something for tele if you are inclined that way surely makes a nice travel kit.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

I haven't used much other than the 20 and 40 since I bought the 20. When I want wider, and full frame (the Cosmicar nets only the central square of the format), I fit the Oly ZD 11-22 onto the DMW-MA1.

I've decided that I want to keep the G1 specific lenses as small and light as possible, so I think my next lens for it is going to be the Lumix G 14/2.8, when that surfaces. I'll make my decisions after it and the Oly 9-18 are released.

The 45/2.8 is also on my very short list, but I'm in no hurry: I like the Konica 40 quite a lot. And I can use any of the FourThirds SLR lenses on the G1 too, so it's not like I'm lacking for options. I sold all the other lenses I found I wasn't using much.

In 2010, I'm concentrating entirely on doing more and more photography. I have enough equipment, and other than a couple of specific bits like the 14/2.8, I really don't want anything more at all.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    All that being said---the 7-14, 20, 45 plus something for tele if you are inclined that way surely makes a nice travel kit.

Diane
    That is 3/4 of my travel kit. The last lens is the all around lens 14-140. If there were a very fast 60mm (1.4/1.8) I would add it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My current travel kit:

GF1 with 7-14, 20 and 14-140, and hopefully soon to add a GF1 IR with the 14-45. All of this fits with spare batteries, cards and the normal stuff inside a Domke F803 Waxwear bag -- tiny and good looking
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    That is 3/4 of my travel kit. The last lens is the all around lens 14-140. If there were a very fast 60mm (1.4/1.8) I would add it.
    That's why I have the Olympus Pen F 70mm f/2 ... :-)

For longer than that (only very rarely used) with both the G1 and the FT SLRs, I have a beautiful old Pentax SMC Takumar 135/3.5, which can be used with the Olympus EC14 teleconverter too. The quality is amazing, the size and weight are very reasonable for a lens with that kind of reach.

Post Thanks / Like

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about the Panasonic 7-14mm other than a) price and b) no filter thread.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just keep reminding me I want this lens. you folks just don't play nice.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I thought you just bought one?
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

tripper

I'm happy to have recently added the 7-14mm to my Pan 20mm 'pancake', 45mm 2.8 Macro and the two kit lens. Quite an outlay so Mr Panasonic please don't bring any more to market just yet. (selfish bu**er)

tripper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Guy, I thought you just bought one?
    I got the 14-140 the 7-14 is next ,who has one for a good price
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I got the 14-140 the 7-14 is next ,who has one for a good price
    Sheesh, I can't keep up with your gear anymore!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh and you should talk. LOL

Raining here really hard. So far it's a 25 year storm and growing

Post Thanks / Like

Gear slutness at its best

duckrider

Just keep reminding me I want this lens. you folks just don't play nice.

want?
    WANT?

I urgently NEED this lens!

kind regards
    Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

7-14 mm is great lens especially for indoor room pictures. The Leica 25mm D Summilux and Noctilux with adapters are what I use most.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GF1 + Panasonic 7-14mm. The lens is super sharp and relatively compact. It is a nice companion to the 20mm F1.7 pancake.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have bought, used and sold one. Even made a minute profit.

It's a decent lens, quality of results is good but not spectacular. I'm not sure how much the quality is due to the lens and how much to the in camera processing but the two work seamlessly so it doesn't matter much.

I sold it because it was a sizeable chunk of the cost of my second camera system system cost and was too short for general use - the 9-18 range would suit me better and I have 12mm and 15mm primes in my main system for ultra wide work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like mine is on it's way along with a new GF1 IR setup plus a 20mm. We are going to do a workshop on IR soon. Stay tuned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GF1 + 7-14mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes,
    This lens definitely opens some possibilities. People thought I was crazy being so close to the glass of the tank with this shot this weekend.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GF1 + 7-14mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GF1 + Panasonic 7 - 14mm. "Pink Roses".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GF1 + Panasonic 7-14mm. "Sunset at Beach".

Post Thanks / Like

Shameless plug...I have this lens NIB for sale. Link here:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14297

I really need to get rid of this asap. I took at the most 10 sample shots on GF1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GF1 + Panasonic 7-14mm. Flexify 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica77, You are really working that lens. I love the shot of the stairs and "pink roses"!

Post Thanks / Like

I really want this lens, but it kind of scares me that you can't put a protective filter on it. What was the reason for no filter threads?

Post Thanks / Like

Bulging front lens element and risk of vignetting probably. The inbuilt lens 'hood' (more a sunshade) gives a little bit of protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Leica77, You are really working that lens. I love the shot of the stairs and "pink roses"!
    Many thanks for your positive comments, Cindy! Your kind encouragement is always much appreciated. All the best to you! Leica 77.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone want mine been thinking of selling it for a new Monitor a NEC and selling my 30 inch Cinema display as well. i have a buying itch that is just killing me. LOL

I need to hit a button. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone want mine been thinking of selling it for a new Monitor a NEC and selling my 30 inch Cinema display as well. i have a buying itch that is just killing me. LOL

I need to hit a button. LOL
    I hate the buying itch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone want mine been thinking of selling it for a new Monitor a NEC and selling my 30 inch Cinema display as well.
    I love those NEC monitors....

Hehehe.......not helping here, am I?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GF1 + 7-14mm. "A Bird's Eye View of a Bistro".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GF1 + 7-14mm. A Show Window, Ginza, Tokyo. From a recent trip to the Orient.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leica 77 View Post
    GF1 + 7-14mm. "A Bird's Eye View of a Bistro".

I like this one very much from your series with the 7-14 from the orient.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post

Michiel
    Hi Michiel,
    Many thanks for your kind comments, my friend! Much appreciated.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post

Michiel
    +1
    Perfect use of an ultra WA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    +1
    Perfect use of an ultra WA.
    Hi Jorgen,
    Wonderful to hear from you, Jorgen! Your kind feedback is much appreciated.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leica 77 View Post
    GF1 + 7-14mm. A Show Window, Ginza, Tokyo. From a recent trip to the Orient.

Leica77,

Beautiful work with the 7-14. I love the abstract feel of the store window shot.

Best regards,
    Carl
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Leica77, I've really enjoyed your 7-14 shots from the orient.

Diane