The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Switch to m4/3 (GH1)

C

cetac

I have left behind my first camera, a Nikon D50, in the attempt to make the switch to a GH1. I made this decision with the intention to begin a relationship with video, a medium of which I know very little. I have over the past few days, however, become reticent; I do not wish to make any sacrifices in the area of photography, my first love.

My alternative would be a D90, sticking with the Nikon system I am so familiar. Of course the D90 is no substitute for the GH1 when it comes to video, and so the purchase would be more for the maintenance of photographic integrity. I suppose my question to all of you is what exactly would I be sacrificing when it comes to photography when comparing the D90 to the GH1, if anything?

Maybe this is all just a lame attempt at gaining some reassurance, but I'd like to feel a bit more comfortable before the big purchase.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Why not use the GH1 as a still camera for a few weeks and decide exactly how much you think you're giving up with M4/3 over Nikon crop for yourself?

My personal take is you won't be giving up much in overall image quality, may give up a little in speed and high ISO performance, but will gain in size and the convenience of an all-in-one still/video option.

Best,

httivals

I wouldn't buy a GH1 now, until there's a clear fix for the lug strap problem that's identified on dpreview.com and a thread on this site. . . . Maybe I'm overreacting. I was all set to buy a GH1, but am glad that I read about the lug strap problem before buying. I love the m4/3 system, btw. I am barely using my Canon 5DII, and just sold my 5D (original). So, you may want to wait until Panasonic either comes out with a new camera or fixes the lug strap issue.