The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH1-adapter, tripod and bag question

C

CalBoy87

Hi. I am planning to get GH1 (2?) soon. My question for existing owners:
-what is a GOOD adapter for Canon FD and Olympus OM?
I had adapter for 5D and was cheap and bad. I've seen some from Cirrus, all brass, but about 120-130 USD. Do I really need all brass adapter, or 50 USD thing will do? My Canon adapter had some play, are the ones for 4/3 better?
-what will be good tripod for this cam? I set my eye on Velbon Maxi-L, need something below 1 kg weight, 40cm length folded, at least 150cm height. Anything else outhere?
-some shoulder bag? GH1 with 14-140 on it plus 4-5 micro 4/3 lenses, tripod snaps (optional)
Thank you all for your experienced advice

Diane B

Yes, be sure that the adaptor that you buy will handle both FD and FL mounts. No--I don't see any reason that the adaptor has to be brass. My relatively pricey one (because it was the first available) from Cameraquest/Rayqual is not brass nor is my EOS to m4/3rds from RJ/jinfinance. I would just buy from one of the vendors that others are using which will give you assurance that infinity focusing is good. Neither of my adaptors have play in them.

Bags are really personal. I expect you will find several threads here and elsewhere about bags for the m43/rds. I carry several--a Domke FXb, F6 (with multiple lenses and/or bodies), Lowepro Terraclime 100 for G1 plus 2 lenses and the Lowepro Sling 100 for hiking--a 200 would handle more since you mention 4-5 lenses. But lots of ideas for bags for small systems I expect if you do a search.

Diane

Last edited:

photoSmart42

1. I've had issues with the RJ adapters from what you can see in the thread referenced above, so I'd say stick with the ciecio7 one. It's also a bit cheaper. It's not as easy to use because you have to remove the adapter from the camera every time you change lenses whereas the RJ-design you can leave the adapter attached, but until he fixes his manufacturing processes the simple adapter might be worth it (unless you want to do the DIY operation I went through).

2. Tripods are a personal choice, and I don't think you can go wrong on that one. There's simply so many out there that you'll just have to pick one you like and meets your criteria. I have a Sony video camera tripod, and it's fine. Eventually I'll get one with a more complex head on it, but I'm spending my cash elsewhere right now.

3. I use a Tamrac System 3 bag if I want to take all my lenses, my camera, my flash+macro accessories. It'll fit a GH1+14-140 lens, the 20/1.7 lens, several compact FD lenses (28/2.8 and 50/1.4), my 90mm FD macro lens+2x extender, my FL 55/1.2, my Wollensak 1"/1.9, my Vivitar 285 Flash+macro rail+flash trigger, plus the manual, some filters, some adapters. Quite useful, but gets pretty heavy with all that glass in it =). For my lite travel bag, I use a Loewpro Toploader AW 65, which fits the GH1+14-140, the 20/1.7, the Wollensak 1"/1.9, the manual, filters.

C

CalBoy87

Thank you all for replay. There is a lot of choices out there and with you help I hope to make correct ones. Will let you know, once I make my mind. I was waiting for GH2, but I might have to wait a bit longer, so I will have time to consider. Thanks again

S

speedyK

stick with the ciecio7 one. It's also a bit cheaper. It's not as easy to use because you have to remove the adapter from the camera every time you change lenses whereas the RJ-design you can leave the adapter attached, but until he fixes his manufacturing processes the simple adapter might be worth it (unless you want to do the DIY operation I went through).
Hi everyone.

I'm new here – seems like a nice, friendly place :)

An "FD adaptor" search led me to this thread.

My GF1 with the pancake lens should arrive very soon, but my FD glass wants to finally see some action again too! :D

From what I've read, I believe the Rayqual FD adaptor is usable for both breechlock and bayonet and can be left on the camera when swapping FD lenses - but is not so easy to use that way... do people tend to fix this adaptor to the lens before mounting to the body – can anyone tell me more?

Also, are there any other good FD adaptors (for breechlock and bayonet) that can be left on the camera when swapping FD lenses without problems? If so, do please tell me more – and links to suppliers would be great. Oh – and it is not negative if the cost is less than a Rayqual! :rolleyes:

Jonas

From what I've read, I believe the Rayqual FD adaptor is usable for both breechlock and bayonet and can be left on the camera when swapping FD lenses - but is not so easy to use that way... do people tend to fix this adaptor to the lens before mounting to the body – can anyone tell me more?
Hi,

I don't know what most people tend to do. It has to be a personal decision, no? I buy an adapter for every lens I test and find I want to keep. That waythey can all share the same lens caps. It's a practical solution and it makes for quick switching of lenses when I am out taking images. (I also have my lenses standing, face down, in a satchel bag, hoods are always mounted and I bring no front lens caps.)

Also, are there any other good FD adaptors (for breechlock and bayonet) that can be left on the camera when swapping FD lenses without problems? If so, do please tell me more – and links to suppliers would be great. Oh – and it is not negative if the cost is less than a Rayqual! :rolleyes:
I have a RayQual adapter as well as an RJ adapter. I just tried leaving the RJ adapter on the camera and switched back and forth between an FD and an FDn lens. It can be done. The RayQual adapter is sort of glued to an FD lens and hasn't been off for quite some time now so I can't say anything about it really. The RJ adapter is easier to handle.

regards,

/Jonas

Diane B

Hi,

The RayQual adapter is sort of glued to an FD lens and hasn't been off for quite some time now so I can't say anything about it really. The RJ adapter is easier to handle.

regards,

/Jonas
Jonas, I'm considering buying a second FD adaptor and leave them on as you do--makes good sense. Tell me how the RJ is easier--seems to me that you don't do the double twist--or at least that's how I think I read about it. I will def. buy one of the cheap adaptors this time around.

Daine

Jonas

Jonas, I'm considering buying a second FD adaptor and leave them on as you do--makes good sense. Tell me how the RJ is easier--seems to me that you don't do the double twist-- (...)
The RJ adapter has a turnable ring on it. You mount an FD lens buy aligning the red dot on the lens to a green mark on that ring. Then turn the lens to lock it. (Until now it is the same way as mounting the lens to a camera). Now turn the ring and the lens is ready to use. When turning the ring (about 10 degrees or so) a lever picks up the DOF control lever on the lens.

So, there is no bi-directional turning, or need for careful checking that the lens' lever is picked up by the adapter pin.

I guess some people see the ring as a way to switch between wide open position and stopped down position of the aperture blades. It can be done as the lens is locked to the adapter in the first step above.

Something like that.

regards,

/Jonas

EDIT: Diane, check the following replies as well. It seems as my RJ adapter is "outdated".

Last edited:
S

speedyK

Having to buy an adaptor for each lens seems an inefficient solution – at least from a costs aspect... I would really prefer an adaptor that could be used like a converter without any complications – surely that would be the most practical arrangement (and also mean less weight to transport – every little helps!).

The RJ adaptor gets a very unfavourable report from photoSmart42 further back in this very thread. I've also seen reports that the product now sold is different (and worse) than the ones sold previously. That's why I'm a bit worried about about the latest version...

Jonas, is your RJ fairly new?

The german-made Novoflex seems to get good reports, but comes at a premium price compared to most of the others...

I really should order one an adaptor soon, but neither want to throw money away on a poor quality one, nor an unnecessarily costly one, so the more feedback on various manufacturers' adaptors, the better :thumbup:

Jonas

Having to buy an adaptor for each lens seems an inefficient solution – at least from a costs aspect... I would really prefer an adaptor that could be used like a converter without any complications – surely that would be the most practical arrangement (and also mean less weight to transport – every little helps!).
Well, I see your point. That would be the way to go provided you use only one brand of lenses. But, OTOH, if every gram is important you shouldn't chose FD lenses.

From start (Nov 2008) I had a couple of FD lenses. They are since then replaced with other lenses, either better ones, or smaller and lighter ones.

The RJ adaptor gets a very unfavourable report from photoSmart42 further back in this very thread. I've also seen reports that the product now sold is different (and worse) than the ones sold previously. That's why I'm a bit worried about about the latest version...

Jonas, is your RJ fairly new?
Then please accept my apologizes for posting not up to date information. I wasn't aware of a second and inferior version from RJ. I should have been though seeing I took part in the thread you are referring to. Sorry.

My RJ adapter is the first version, bought when he made them available. I haven't run into any of the problems photoSmart42 mentioned.

The german-made Novoflex seems to get good reports, but comes at a premium price compared to most of the others...

I really should order one an adaptor soon, but neither want to throw money away on a poor quality one, nor an unnecessarily costly one, so the more feedback on various manufacturers' adaptors, the better :thumbup:
Doesn't the Ciecio adapter look like what you want (or an "old" RJ)?

regards,

/Jonas

S

speedyK

Well, I see your point. That would be the way to go provided you use only one brand of lenses. But, OTOH, if every gram is important you shouldn't chose FD lenses.
:) Very true, but the thing is that I have a collection of FD lenses from way back with my Canon A1 (I sold my inherited OM lenses well before even the 4/3 system was conceived) and it would be nice to try them out again, particularly the 50mm f1.4.

please accept my apologizes for posting not up to date information.
No need to apologize! I'm glad to get any feedback :)

Doesn't the Ciecio adapter look like what you want (or an "old" RJ)?
To quote that post from photoSmart42 again, regarding the ciecio7 one he wrote,

"you have to remove the adapter from the camera every time you change lenses"

which is what I was hoping to avoid... but please don't apologize again! :D

Sounds like you were lucky to get one of the old RJs which work well.

Jonas

(...)
which is what I was hoping to avoid... but please don't apologize again! :D

Sounds like you were lucky to get one of the old RJs which work well.
I'll try to refrain. ;)

I would have sent RJ a message via eBay. He is friendly and nice to deal with and I'm sure he'll tell you about the FD adapter status.

The Polish adapter sold by Cecio7 was released some time after RJ made his first version available. As I recall it (hrm...) reports then pointed to the same functionality as with the RJ adapter. Looking up Cecio7 today, at eBay, and checking the adapter it seems to me as the adapter is mounted to the camera and then the lens to the adapter?? Maybe photoSmart missed something?

OK, I'm done, I think...

/Jonas

Diane B

Thanks Jonas. I will say my EOS adaptor is just fine from RJ.

My FD adaptor is one of the first that was available in early 2009--from Cameraquest, but we're all sure its Rayqual--very well made, not really difficult to use if you understand the double twist (it actually has a little icon on it to show how). If i'm using all FD lenses (I have 5), then its easy--keep the adaptor mounted to camera and just remount normally. If I"m switching between FDs, native m4/3rds and perhaps my 4/3rds 9-18, it gets a bit more complex, but certainly doable if you want to keep weight down (though the adaptors weigh hardly anything at all).

There are lots of choice for FD adaptors at all prices. They pretty much all work fine AFAIK. I do not have to remove my adaptor from the lens to change lenses BTW. ONly time I have to do this is I am using extension tubes.

Diane.