The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Not every C-mount video lens is crap [Tevidon inside]

A

Abbazz

There was recently some debate here about whether C-mount video lenses can deliver good results on M-4/3rds cameras. I have a few of them that are at least as good as cine lenses (the Pentax 25/1.4 comes to mind), but I recently acquired the crème de la crème of all video lenses: a series of Zeiss Tevidon lenses comprising the 35/1.9, the 50/1.8, 75/2.8 and 100/2.8. All of them are outstanding lenses, providing a sharp image, even wide open, without vignetting and chromatic aberrations and with superb colors.

Here are some samples from the 100/2.8:

100% crop from previous image, note the water droplets in bright sun against a dark backgroud without a trace of purple fringing:

Wide open at F/2.8:

100% crop:

And now, the 35/1.9 lens:

Wide open at F/1.9:

Not too shabby, uh?

Cheers!

Abbazz

RichA

There was recently some debate

Not too shabby, uh?

Cheers!

Abbazz
Very nice shots, great warm colour.
There is no question some CCTV and video lenses are very good. Of the 20 or so I've tried (including Schneider's Xenon 25mm f0.95, their 50mm f2.0, Pentax, Sony, Tevidon, etc) the best one I've used is the Fujinon 25mm f1.4, if resolution and neutral colour is your goal. The zooms have been less good, probably not nearly as good as current zooms, especially with in-camera corrections available. But the primes are better than many still camera lenses. Part of the reason is that some of the CCTV lenses must reach a certain resolution because of the markets (scientific, industrial) they are sold into. If you look at CCTV lenses in scientific catalogs, they often spec the resolving power.

M

milapse

whoever says c-mounts suck have never used a good switar or kodak. PERIOD.

kds315

Well Sebastien, I'm very happy that your excellent photos have proven what I have been promising! I'm glad that you're happy!! I have been using Tevidons since many years know (starting as macro lenses due to their short register), but now on mft cameras, they can really shine!

V

Vivek

There was recently some debate here about whether C-mount video lenses can deliver good results on M-4/3rds cameras.
Debates are what they are for. There are users and debaters.

A

Abbazz

Thanks guys for the kind words and a particular thanks to Klaus for those nice lenses.

Here are some more pictures but this time, from the two others lenses. First, the 50/1.8:

Then, the 75/2.8:

Cheers!

Abbazz

G

Gary

Fujinon, Navitar, Pentax 25mm industrial lenses

the best one I've used is the Fujinon 25mm f1.4, if resolution and neutral colour is your goal.
Is this the fujinon you are referring to: www.pyramidimaging.com/specs/Fujinon/CF25HA35HA-1.pdf?

I really don't want to deal with vignetting, does your fujinon vignette?

Has anyone tried the Navitar lenses - they sell a large range including some f 0.95 lenses for 1" sensors?
www.pyramidimaging.com/product.asp?strParents=7581,7633,7634,7684&CAT_ID=7685&P_ID=62213

This Pentax/Cosmicar seems to be the bargain of the bunch
http://www.pyramidimaging.com/specs\Pentax\C22525 Spec.pdf?

Any experience with these would be great to hear about.

A

Abbazz

A few pictures with the Tevidon 35/1.9 from today's lunch break:

100% crop -- not the same picture as above (no sharpening):

100% crop -- not the same picture as above (no sharpening):

Cheers!

Abbazz

kds315

amazing! Never used that one fro macro, but the close focusing ability of the 35mm obviously allows for that!

B

bronney

Cine lens sucks? This a Taylor Hobson Super Comat 25mm f/1.9 on the GF1.

Nice round balls at f/1.9

Crazy Monet at f/2.8

Barfing swirlys at f/5.6

I love cine lens! Selling out the pancake this week. :cool:

A

Abbazz

Cine lens sucks? This a Taylor Hobson Super Comat 25mm f/1.9 on the GF1.
Nice pictures. I love these TTH lenses. No one said cine lenses sucked, this thread was just a reply to someone saying that he had never seen a good video lens!

Cheers!

Abbazz

B

bronney

thanks man. My advice to him is *drum rolls and a rim shot*

BUY MOAR! lol :)