The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help: Navitar 17mm f0.95

R

raydeng

Hey Guys,

Do any of you have experience with the Navitar 17mm 0.95 (or any other 17mm 0.95 for that matter)?

They make one for 1/3'', 2/3'' and for 1''. I hear that even the 1'' will vignette significantly. Does anyone have any experience with this lens?

Any samples? Does it require machining? I don't believe this lens is on the google shared document.

I think it'd be a pretty ideal companion to my E-P1, as it equates to the perspective of a 35mm f2.0 (35mm terms).

Thanks in advance. :)

Ray

ggibson

I don't think any C mount lenses under 25mm focal length cover the m4/3 sensor. You can still use it, just crop.

R

raydeng

hm, i wonder why no one has tried these 17mm 0.95 lenses?

the many 25mm f0.95 seems like all the craze. NO ONE out there has tried either the 2/3'' or 1'' 17mm f0.95?

it would seem like an ideal lens if it covers more than my cosmicar 12.5mm f1.3.

kds315

why should a 2/3" or 1" lens cover the needed at least 21mm? Guess that solves that "miracle" why no-one buys them...

photoSmart42

hm, i wonder why no one has tried these 17mm 0.95 lenses?

the many 25mm f0.95 seems like all the craze. NO ONE out there has tried either the 2/3'' or 1'' 17mm f0.95?

it would seem like an ideal lens if it covers more than my cosmicar 12.5mm f1.3.
Let's see: Navitar 17/0.95 costs $500, whereas the Cosmicar 12.5/1.3 costs $25. Both vignette heavily on this sensor, and I'm pretty sure both require machining to adapt them to the m4/3 mount. Which one would you be more likely to use for experimenting?

R

raydeng

re: kds315: nothing 'should' cover the 4/3rds sensor, but we use them anyways.

re: photosmart: sure. but when you say 'both vignette heavily,' is this just from applying the logic that most under 25mm lenses vignette, or is this from real experience? i'm assuming the former. has anyone actually seen samples from this lens?

photoSmart42

re: photosmart: sure. but when you say 'both vignette heavily,' is this just from applying the logic that most under 25mm lenses vignette, or is this from real experience? i'm assuming the former. has anyone actually seen samples from this lens?
Both. As you can see from the spreadsheet of C-mount lenses, people have experimented with a wide range of lenses. It makes sense that lenses made for sensors smaller than 1" are guaranteed to vignette - it's a smaller image circle than the m4/3 sensor. Additionally, lenses made for 1" sensors vignette starting at about 25mm and get worse as you go down in focal length. That also matches my experience with my C-mount lenses.

R

raydeng

photosmart: no offense intended, but that isn't 'both.' that's the application of a trend.

photoSmart42

photosmart: no offense intended, but that isn't 'both.' that's the application of a trend.
I don't know what that means. We've provided you with BOTH empirical evidence and with extrapolated conclusions that should tell you it's very likely you'll get vignetting on the 17/0.95. Not much else to say since you're not willing to accept either of those as viable. It's probably best if you buy the lens and tell us what you discover at this point.

Have a nice day!

R

raydeng

haha, not dropping $500 on a test.

although if someone else has, do let me know.