The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

best m43 for noise...

M

milapse

So I feel like the GH1 was barely a step forward in the noise department. Has a sort of fabric like pattern and is not very reliable above 640-800ish

What's your opinion in the current best of the m43 market and future for m43??

V

Vivek

What's your opinion in the current best of the m43 market and future for m43??
My opinion on the upcoming G2 is:

It will ergonomically better than the G1.

DR will be much better.

Noise will be much lower.

It will still have the salient features of the G1 (swivel TFT, EVF, etc).

It will have a paint that will not peel easily.

It will be competitively priced.

Boringly, only one color choice will be offered.

D

drxcm

IMO the GH1 noise is slightly better than other m43 cames, but the banding (fabric pattern) it produces at high ISO looks worse than noise to me.

PeterB666

I am more than happy with the high ISO performance from the E-P1. I regularly shoot to ISO1600 and even venture beyond.

ISO800 here...

A couple of ISO3200 shots...

I wouldn't have even dreampt of getting results like that out of a film camera, little only a 'small' digital camera. Same size as my old Sony DSC-V3 advanced compact but that was useless over ISO400.

M

milapse

IMO the GH1 noise is slightly better than other m43 cames, but the banding (fabric pattern) it produces at high ISO looks worse than noise to me.
Agreed!

PeterB666 said:
I am more than happy with the high ISO performance from the E-P1
interesting... can anyone comment on differences between the EP & GH??

JMaher

I have never tried the GH1 but have owned the G1 and the EP-1. As I understand it the GF1 would be similar if not identical to the G1 for low light.

From my experience the EP-1 was much better in low light. I have shot a number of indoor event with the EP-1 with very nice results. In identical settings I would not have been willing to go over 800 with the G1.

In either case there is more noise than from a full frame camera but the output is very acceptable for web postings or smaller prints.

Jim

C

compositor20

e-p is the best caemra in the four thirds or micro

it has more grain then gh-1 but noe of the banding and less chroma noise

the camera that comes close (more moiré with yellow spots... ) and worseretention of details in red with black contrast for example and better saturated colours even with raw i lightroom beta 3

better chroma e-p1

better grain gh1