The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M4/3 Oly perhaps....

V

Vivek

A new Stylus. Only a hand is hiding the "You can't hide INNOVATION".

For the m4/3rds EP series, I believe they use a curtain.

vincechu

I saw that earlier I'm hoping it'll be a retro styled m4/3 with a built in flash - if you look at the top right corner of the camera it looks like their might be a pop out one. but then again this might turn up to be a compact :( but then again its got a hot shoe...

I'm so excited about all the speculation surrounding new m4/3 models hope Panasonic and Olympus won't disappoint ;-)

slosync

A new Stylus. Only a hand is hiding the "You can't hide INNOVATION".

For the m4/3rds EP series, I believe they use a curtain.
I thought it might be a Stylus also but it seems to be a lot of smoke and mirrors to put into a P&S intro.....

Mode dial on left... perhaps if PEN that makes room on right for some sort of pop-up, maybe for a flash. The hot shoe for EVF, weather proofed, and......

Don

Last edited:

RichA

What is needed and needed now!

A more pro-oriented micro 4/3rds (pull out all the stops) and a small micro 4/3rds with a pancake lens. Even the 35mm f3.5 Olympus macro lens would do as a normal lens because the optics could be housed in such a tiny body.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Re: What is needed and needed now!

A more pro-oriented micro 4/3rds (pull out all the stops) and a small micro 4/3rds with a pancake lens. Even the 35mm f3.5 Olympus macro lens would do as a normal lens because the optics could be housed in such a tiny body.
My money is on new m4/3 cameras from Panasonic but standard 4/3 cameras -- if anything -- from Olympus. I can't help thinking that there must be a bitter power struggle going on within Olympus between the 4/3 and m4/3 groups. Every man and his dog understands that m4/3 represents what the Four Thirds standard should always have been but Olympus, like any other manufacturer, doesn't have unlimited resources. It's a zero-sum game in which more m4/3 cameras/lenses means less 4/3 cameras/lenses and vice versa.

Panasonic, happily, were willing to ruthlessly abandon their failed 4/3 system, just as they ditched their popular (and successful) FZ-series bridge cameras in favor of m4/3. But how this plays out within Olympus ultimately depends on which system -- 4/3 or m4/3 -- is more profitable. My guess is that m4/3 will eventually prevail but that the 4/3 division won't give in easily. One thing is certain: "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

I don't think the Stylus line would have neck strap lugs on the sides, as this model appears to. I say m4/3. Something more along the lines of a GF1 in style as opposed to the retro E-P2.

Rawfa

I find it very hard to believe that Oly would release 3 cameras so similar (E-P1, E-P2 and now another small micro 4/3) in such a short period of time. The E-P1 and E-P2 are not exactly cheap, so IF it's a m4/3 camera I would think it's a less capable less expensive camera. Maybe it's a fixed lens camera with a m4/3 sensor ;-)

m3photo

Maybe it's a fixed lens camera with a m4/3 sensor ;-
I'd go along with this theory. They have to come back at the GF1 with the 20mm combo and a clever way to do it is offer a cheaper one where the lens is fixed. I'd buy one (if I had the money :D).

Brian Mosley

It's the return of the tobacco tin prototype! :ROTFL:

Looks like an LX3 / X1 competitor to me... but where's the INNOVATION hidden? :confused:

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Where..

it would not be obvious to the most even after the hand is taken away.

We would need to look for the next edition of the Blendtec flick to figure that out. :ROTFL:

Brian Mosley

Maybe Oly have developed an iPad App for easy configuration? :ROTFL: built in wifi? built in GPS? (if everyone else is doing it... would that still be INNOVATION?)

Cheers

Brian

Brian Mosley

Well, that's the nice thing about INNOVATION... it's such a delightful surprise. Shame about the iPad :ROTFL:

I still want one though :cool:

Cheers

Brian

Brian Mosley

Interesting - the leaked image doesn't have the same contour on the front just below the shutter release button. Looks like a different camera.

I like the rumour about a new sensor and much faster focusing... that would be progress.

Cheers

Brian