The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First shots with Sears 135/2.8

Ron Evers

I got my second Sears lens from e-bay this morning, a 135mm, f2.8 prime. Here are three quick trial shots all wide open:

1. Hand held

2. Tripod mounted

3. Tripod mounted

Ron Evers

A lot of C.A. but overall pretty good I'd say.
I obviously do not have an eye for this defect (that I think is known as purple fringing) as I do not see it. I do see that the pics are not as sharp as I would like but this lens only cost me $24 including shipping.

Ron Evers

I got to thinking that Rich found the white flower to have CA & that shot was blown out in part & I tried to rescue it in Lightroom from the original jpeg. Here is another shot without the Lightroom fiddling.

I must say it looks more natural. I have to try to remember to review the histogram of shots while still set up. :eek:

Tullio

I've not come across a 135mm vintage lens that will work well on the m4/3 system (I'm sure there are some, I just haven't found them). Those Sears lenses might be cheap but I find them close to being unusable (for my taste, of course). The images are very soft and CA is pretty obvious (even on the unprocessed shot of the white flower). Many people like the soft effect that some lenses produce. I do like softness but I want to be able to choose which image I wish to look soft. I also find that with the G1 not having IS, using MF lenses with FL greater than 90mm requires a tripod or a whole lot of light so you can keep that shutter speed at least 1/FL (x2).

Tullio

I've decided to stay within the 90mm range with those MF lenses. I want to be able to shoot w/o a tripod attached to my shoulder at all times.

O

OzRay

I've not come across a 135mm vintage lens that will work well on the m4/3 system (I'm sure there are some, I just haven't found them). Those Sears lenses might be cheap but I find them close to being unusable (for my taste, of course). The images are very soft and CA is pretty obvious (even on the unprocessed shot of the white flower). Many people like the soft effect that some lenses produce. I do like softness but I want to be able to choose which image I wish to look soft. I also find that with the G1 not having IS, using MF lenses with FL greater than 90mm requires a tripod or a whole lot of light so you can keep that shutter speed at least 1/FL (x2).
Have you used a Leica Tele-Elmar 135mm f4? I got one a couple of days ago and it's excellent; it certainly lives up to the quality that has been written in many reviews. This is a shot that I took a today, using a Leica extension ring, handheld (the red cactus flower is about 10mm across). It's nothing special, I was just testing things:

100% crop:

Cheers

Ray