Site Sponsors

Thread: First shots with Sears 135/2.8

Post Thanks / Like

First shots with Sears 135/2.8

I got my second Sears lens from e-bay this morning, a 135mm, f2.8 prime. Here are three quick trial shots all wide open:

1. Hand held

2. Tripod mounted

3. Tripod mounted

Panasonic G1 & GF1 bodies, Panasonic 14-45, 45-200mm, various Minolta, Pentax, Canon FD, M39 & M42 mount lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First shots with Sears 135/2.8

A lot of C.A. but overall pretty good I'd say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    A lot of C.A. but overall pretty good I'd say.
    I obviously do not have an eye for this defect (that I think is known as purple fringing) as I do not see it. I do see that the pics are not as sharp as I would like but this lens only cost me $24 including shipping.
    Panasonic G1 & GF1 bodies, Panasonic 14-45, 45-200mm, various Minolta, Pentax, Canon FD, M39 & M42 mount lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I got to thinking that Rich found the white flower to have CA & that shot was blown out in part & I tried to rescue it in Lightroom from the original jpeg. Here is another shot without the Lightroom fiddling.

I must say it looks more natural. I have to try to remember to review the histogram of shots while still set up.

Post Thanks / Like

I've not come across a 135mm vintage lens that will work well on the m4/3 system (I'm sure there are some, I just haven't found them). Those Sears lenses might be cheap but I find them close to being unusable (for my taste, of course). The images are very soft and CA is pretty obvious (even on the unprocessed shot of the white flower). Many people like the soft effect that some lenses produce. I do like softness but I want to be able to choose which image I wish to look soft. I also find that with the G1 not having IS, using MF lenses with FL greater than 90mm requires a tripod or a whole lot of light so you can keep that shutter speed at least 1/FL (x2).
    Tullio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
    I've not come across a 135mm vintage lens that will work well on the m4/3 system (I'm sure there are some, I just haven't found them).
    The Canon FD 135/2 is pretty decent with my GH1. It's not one of my most used lenses, but it's not bad.

Post Thanks / Like

I've decided to stay within the 90mm range with those MF lenses. I want to be able to shoot w/o a tripod attached to my shoulder at all times.
    Tullio

OzRay

Quote Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
    I've not come across a 135mm vintage lens that will work well on the m4/3 system (I'm sure there are some, I just haven't found them). Those Sears lenses might be cheap but I find them close to being unusable (for my taste, of course). The images are very soft and CA is pretty obvious (even on the unprocessed shot of the white flower). Many people like the soft effect that some lenses produce. I do like softness but I want to be able to choose which image I wish to look soft. I also find that with the G1 not having IS, using MF lenses with FL greater than 90mm requires a tripod or a whole lot of light so you can keep that shutter speed at least 1/FL (x2).
    Have you used a Leica Tele-Elmar 135mm f4? I got one a couple of days ago and it's excellent; it certainly lives up to the quality that has been written in many reviews. This is a shot that I took a today, using a Leica extension ring, handheld (the red cactus flower is about 10mm across). It's nothing special, I was just testing things:

100% crop:

Cheers

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, Ray. It looks like this is indeed a good 135mm. I need to check it out!
    Tullio