Site Sponsors

Thread: Fun with the Lumix 14-45mm lens...

Post Thanks / Like

Fun with the Lumix 14-45mm lens...

PLEASE ADD YOUR FAVORITES WITH THE 14-45.

I rarely see anyone praising this workhorse of a lens. Between the 20 and the 14-45, I find myself using the 14-45 the most. So I thought I'd start a thread on praise of this wonderful, versatile lens so it doesn't feel left out of the party.

When my wife and I are exploring on the Harley, we often stop at cemeteries and mausoleums... we're intrigued by them and their dignified beauty. So I do have a lot of images created in such places. Let's not forget... this is our certain future! Live well in the meantime!

The bulk of my professional work consists of verrry lively high school senior girls, so this subject matter is quite a contrast for me... and I love it.

These images are all from this afternoon.

Same image with Detail Enhancer

Last edited by DHart; 1st February 2010 at 02:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Lumix 14-45mm lens...

And a couple more which went into the evening...

It was quite dark by the time we were at the highrise location - on the way home. I bracketed three images of the building with
    the lens zoomed all the way out to 45mm, one at about 40 sec., one at about 10 sec, and one at 2 sec. and merged them.

Most of the above images were bracketed and merged, typical practice for me.

Let's see what you're doing with this lens...
    Last edited by DHart; 1st February 2010 at 02:12.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful shots! I love this lens as well, although I tend to use the 14-140 more since that on my GH1. Love the HDR effects you're getting with it. You're using Photomatix for these?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    Beautiful shots! I love this lens as well, although I tend to use the 14-140 more since that on my GH1. Love the HDR effects you're getting with it. You're using Photomatix for these?
    Yes... aside from portraits, I find the final result more closely matches my visual experience when I increase the dynamic range (bracket and merge). Someday (sooner rather than later) most cameras will just do this automatically. Now that the megapixel wars have reached a point of diminishing returns, dynamic range is the new frontier. Photomatix does a pretty good job with this, though it's a lot more work than just outputting a JPG and calling it good. I like crafting images, so the effort is ok with me.

I've been thinking about the 14-140.... would sure love to have the reach. Do you think having a 14-140 pretty much makes having a 14-45 un-necessary?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I've been thinking about the 14-140.... would sure love to have the reach. Do you think having a 14-140 pretty much makes having a 14-45 un-necessary?
    For me, yes the 14-140 has taken the place of the 14-45. The 14-45 is now more or less permanently attached to my wife's G1, and I take the 14-140 and the 20 with me on travel for my GH1. That way we both have a kit zoom, and we can swap the 20 if we need to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    For me, yes the 14-140 has taken the place of the 14-45. The 14-45 is now more or less permanently attached to my wife's G1, and I take the 14-140 and the 20 with me on travel for my GH1. That way we both have a kit zoom, and we can swap the 20 if we need to.
    Is the lens performance/sharpness comparable between the 14-140 and the 14-45? If so, I will gladly add the 14-140 as a kit lens with the forthcoming GH2, (when it arrives) and do as you've done, give my 14-45 to my wife. She's quickly bumping into the image-crafting limitations of her ZS3 and hankering to step up to a GF1 or GH1. In the meantime, I think I need to give her my unused 30D to break her point-n-shoot streak.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been about a year since I did much with the 14-45. The humble 14-45 doesn't seem to get much attention, what with the more extreme lenses and the fun legacy lenses. I had an inkling today to put it on my GF1, just to return to my first days of m4/3 (GF1 with 14-45 was my first foray into m4/3).

I was instantly reminded of what an amazingly capable and sharp lens this is.. just a couple of grab shots, hand held with the 14-45 @ 14mm wide open and at 45mm wide open... very close focusing. Very small. Very lightweight. Great focal length range. Excellent IS. And SHARP! This lens really is an unsung m4/3 hero, I think. GF1 and 14-45 is perfect for times when a small, simple, and versatile image making kit is all that's needed.

14mm, wide open, hand held, close up

45mm, wide open, hand held, close up - this lens can muster up a nice little bokeh as well...

14mm, wide open, hand held, close up
    Don

"Be kind, everyone you encounter is fighting battles you have no awareness of."

Post Thanks / Like

I love the 14-45 too

Post Thanks / Like

EPL1 and Panny 14/45, mistakingly left ISO on 1600
    Doh

Post Thanks / Like

GH2 Pana 14-45mm @45mm

Home page: www.aphotovid.com

Check out my gear blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew... cool image! Great, compact, versatile, sharp lens.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew... cool image! Great, compact, versatile, sharp lens.
    Thanks! I am just getting used to the GH2 and several lenses. The 14-45mm is an absolute steal for the price. Great quality, light and Leica to boot.
    Home page: www.aphotovid.com

Check out my gear blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn... where was that shot? Great composition, textures, and tones.

deckitout... tranquil beauty... thanks for posting it.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn... where was that shot? Great composition, textures, and tones.
    Thanks, Glen Etive in Scotland

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't seem to be much love for this lens, folks... I guess it just gets a bit lost in the shuffle of more extreme lenses and legacy glass, etc. For me, even having a whole bunch of new native and legacy glass for my m4/3 kit and the GH2 (not to mention the big gear) I still use my good old, original GF1 and 14-45 quite a bit!

This lens is an unsung hero of m4/3, I think. Lately I've been using it for a lot of product shots and it never lets me down...

More GF1 and 14-45

I'm sure lovin' micro four thirds, my friends!
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Sure is a dead, sleepy thread, this.

Hoping to wake it up a bit.

Another GF1 with 14-45 image. Ladybug on a golf pencil, with a US dime as the backdrop.

(Lens reversed)
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

And a couple more which went into the evening...

It was quite dark by the time we were at the highrise location - on the way home. I bracketed three images of the building with
    the lens zoomed all the way out to 45mm, one at about 40 sec., one at about 10 sec, and one at 2 sec. and merged them.

Most of the above images were bracketed and merged, typical practice for me.

Let's see what you're doing with this lens...
    Don these are all very nice images. Is that a sun dog you captured in the backlit shot of the cemetery?

Thanks for reminding me how really sharp that lens is. I'm going to dust mine off; it's been sitting on the shelf too long.

Do you use PS or some 3rd party software for merging bracketed exposures?

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Paul... thanks for the comments and participating. Sometimes I think no one around here uses this lens but me! Ha!

Yes, it's a very sharp, very capable lens that is just so nice and compact. I love it.

When I bracket and merge images, I usually use PhotoMatix Pro.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

When I bracket and merge images, I usually use PhotoMatix Pro.
    Do you base the number and size of the brackets based on DR? If so how do you go about determining the DR of a scene? The cemetery shot looks like extreme DR. Is there any advantage to bracketing and merging scenes with normal DR?

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Paul... I'm not very scientific on determining the range. I don't often bracket exposures, but I do sometimes. The range of exposures differs with the scene... I just sort of guesstimate and go with -2/0/+2 or sometimes other variations on that... on occasion -2/-1/0/+1/+2, but I don't do so in a carefully calculated way... sort of willy nilly, actually! Sometimes when I have bracketed I may only use one of the images, or I may just layer one image over a second, in PS, and erase the areas I don't want, then merge layers.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Willy nilly seems to be working well for you. I don't think too many folks making HDR images really worry too much about DR either. I suspect most use a technique similar to yours.

Thanks,

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool HDRs, Don. Although I sold mine, you can count me amongst the admirers of this lens. I think it's the best landscape lens in all of native Micro 4/3 when it comes to the 14mm focal length.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Amin... that image of the boat really puts me there!

Yes, the lens is a really sharp little performer. Though the fancier, more extreme lenses tend to get all the attention, this little lens is stellar in it's compact, versatile performance.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don et al.....not sure how I overlooked this thread, but you are absolutely right about the 14-45mm lens. It is an excellent performer and generally underrated.

There are some really terrific images here (sharp, very sharp!) and it makes me realize how little I've done with my G1 and 14-45 recently.

Here's one of the few recent photos I've taken with the 14-45 and G1. It compares very favorably with images of this same dome I took today with a Canon 1D2 and the famed EOS 135/2 L series lens.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Gary.... very crisp! And that Canon EOS 135/2 L is sure a sweet lens, too.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful color, Gary.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread convinced me I need to stick it back in my bag. After I got my G1 with it as kit over 2 years ago I used it quite a lot and looking back got some shots I'm happy with. Its just taken 2nd or third place to faster primes, both AF and MF, but for many situations its still a good lens and more versatile and I know from before that its quite good IQ wise.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is underrated at times.....with the GF1 in the Nevada desert.

R

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Rich, they are stunning, especially the first one. It really is a great little lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow is right! Rich and Glenn, those are gorgeous.
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

The 14-45 is the best kept secret of the m43 world. I tested in once on my GH1 against Leica glass on M8. It held up admirably. Of course within the comparable apertures. The rest of the Leica cost goes towards Elmarit at 2.8, Summicron at f2 and Summilux at f1.4, but at f4 they are not very much better than the lowly lumix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nugat View Post
    The 14-45 is the best kept secret of the m43 world.
    It's the combination of the Panasonic lens and its sensor - the way they "speak" to each other that yields such quality. No matter how many "wonder" optics we've tried to put on the camera, the little lenses they made for it are always going to be the ones that get the most out of the sensor. Since the 14-45 the 20mm in my opinion is the lens for this camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    It's the combination of the Panasonic lens and its sensor - the way they "speak" to each other that yields such quality. No matter how many "wonder" optics we've tried to put on the camera, the little lenses they made for it are always going to be the ones that get the most out of the sensor. Since the 14-45 the 20mm in my opinion is the lens for this camera.
    Thanks guys. I find the comments about the matching to the sensor interesting. To tell you the truth, I never thought along those lines. Kit lens has such a negative connotation that it wasn't until I was "stuck" with it on that desert trip, that I really began to appreciate it.

I am curious now....I just got the 45-200 from another member here. Amin has made some comments on another board as to its sharpness. I wonder if it will prove to be another case of a good sensor match.

Time will tell.....R

Post Thanks / Like

Great images, Rich & Glen... thanks for posting them.

It's nice to finally see some focus (pardon the pun) on this fantastic lens. When I look again at the images it created of my Canon G9, above, (made as for sale pics on eBay) I'm astounded at it's razor crisp clarity.

We get so busy and excited with our supplementary and legacy lenses that this one is usually set aside... not for lack of ability, but more for allowing opportunity to explore other lenses. Every time I put this lens back on my GF1 or GH2, I am rewarded with beautiful, very crisp images. The combination of small size, versatile 28-90mm equivalent range, and rich, sharp images makes this a wonderfully valued, worthy lens in my bag.

Let's keep the 14-45 images flowing!
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    I just got the 45-200 from another member here. Amin has made some comments on another board as to its sharpness. I wonder if it will prove to be another case of a good sensor match.

Time will tell.....R
    I don't remember what I said, but I'll tell you what I think: In my experience, the 45-200 is a good value and deserves more credit than many people give to it. It is not as sharp as the 14-45mm lens - especially at the 200mm end - but I think you have to judge it in the context of other consumer grade super telephoto zooms like the Canon and Nikon 70-300 zooms tested on APS-C cameras.
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know how I missed this thread.

The 14-45 is a big part of why m43 works for me. Insanely small and lightweight but with IQ that is definitely "good enough" and a bit beyond. I shoot landscape, and with my Canon gear it is hard to find a nice, sharp, contrasty, slow zoom that doesn't weigh a bunch. Very happy Panasonic produced a quality lens that does the basics right without all the bulk of perceived "build quality". Never understood the sentiment of folks who seem overjoyed by camera equipment that weighs far more than it needs to...

The 14-45 and 7-14 are what I use the most along with a healthy does of the 45-200. Anyway, some from my 14-45 collection (all with a G1). Apologies, I'm sure a few are repeats of images I've posted in the past in other threads.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh View Post
    Don't know how I missed this thread.

The 14-45 is a big part of why m43 works for me.
    Ken.....really outstanding shots....I especially love the first. Great texture.

R

Post Thanks / Like

Ken... thanks for chiming in and contributing to this thread! Those are outstanding images which really show what a magnificently sharp, punchy lens the 14-45 is. I especially think the first in your series is stunning!!! Glad to see others who also recognize and appreciate the quality of the 14-45.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Yes this little lens is a classic. I would rate the quality up with any lens in this range I have used, including the Nikkor 24-70mm which cost 6 times the price. I originally purchased one with a G1 kit, sold the kit later in favour of the GH1, and purchased another 14-45mm as I missed the quality. Two lenses without which I would not have the GH1 and GH2 cameras, this one and the Lumix 7-14mm. They are quality.

Phil

One from the G1 days. G1, f/9 @ 23 mm, 1/500, ISO 200

Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au

Post Thanks / Like

A few more from me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matix View Post
    Yes this little lens is a classic. I originally purchased one with a G1 kit, sold the kit later in favour of the GH1, and purchased another 14-45mm as I missed the quality. Two lenses without which I would not have the GH1 and GH2 cameras, this one and the Lumix 7-14mm. They are quality.

Phil
    Nice locomotive photo. I did the same thing Phil.....sold the 14-45 (and ended up buying another one)......did the same thing with the 7-14

R

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing images, I guess I have to dig mine out and use it (still wrapped)!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Rolling Stones

Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh View Post
    Ken. Thanks for these they're excellent. This last "Rolling Stone" album cover is outstanding. What's happened here, very high winds and rain?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rolling Stones

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    What's happened here, very high winds and rain?
    Thanks for the complements everyone!

The shot is from Racetrack Playa in Death Valley National Park. Short answer, yes rain and wind makes the rocks move. You can read more about it (and the moving rocks) here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racetrack_Playa

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Needing some TLC
    Panasonic G1, G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS, ISO 400, f6.3 @ 1/15sec

Thanks for viewing,
    Paul

Comments & suggestions are always appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Still loving the 14-45!

Spring comes really late in the Pacific Northwest. No leaves on the trees around here yet, but during a motorcycle ride today I found some early signs of the earth coming back to life again...

Traveled light with just the GF1 and 14-45. This camera/lens was the start to my m4/3 kit. In spite of adding a GH2 and a bunch of new native and legacy glass, this is still a great image making combo. RAW captures, quick processing in Lightroom.

Last edited by DHart; 9th April 2011 at 21:28.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Playing with an Art Filter (Lightroom)

Don

Post Thanks / Like

I continue to be amazed by this little lens

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 14-45 is just terrific. It reminds me quite a lot fo the 14-54 4/3rds lens (not as fast but just as sharp). I sold my 14/2.5 because I felt the 14-45 was so good at WA (and stabilized on my G2) and being a zoom more versatile to boot.