The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH1 owners advice request

C

CalBoy87

Hi. I am about to get one (if someone knows of some great deals, welcome to share, for now B&H at 1223 USD is a champ), but I have couple of questions for those who use it. I will not using neck strap at all - too many broken rivets, holes in cam and so on. So my questions to you:
- how can you use tripod mounted strap, have an access to battery and use tripod at the same time? I want to avoid unscrewing the tripod mount bolt to a minimum
- what Olympus OM adapter do you recommend? I have 28, 50mm lenses which I would like to use with it, prefer one piece adapter
- where to get some small plate for tripod to get access to battery with it on the cam
- what lightweight tripod do you use
- small shoulder bag big enough for GH1 and 5 small lenses
Thanks for any informative advice

Godfrey

- how can you use tripod mounted strap, have an access to battery and use tripod at the same time? I want to avoid unscrewing the tripod mount bolt to a minimum
See the thread Diane suggested. I am quite happy with the Acratech plate, with my small mod to allow it to seat perfectly. The battery is not blocked by the plate.

I use nothing but a small wrist-leash on my G1 and don't hang the camera on it.

- what Olympus OM adapter do you recommend? I have 28, 50mm lenses which I would like to use with it, prefer one piece adapter
Olympus' own is probably the nicest finished, but others from CameraQuest.com and vendors on Ebay all work the same.

- where to get some small plate for tripod to get access to battery with it on the cam
see http://acratech.net or http://www.reallyrightstuff.com

Manfrotto 190CXpro3 legs, Markins Q3 head.

"Small" and "GH1 and 5 lenses" don't make sense in the same sentence. That's a medium size bag. For me, either bag on the lines of the Domke F6 or Billingham Hadley Pro is about the minimum that will hold that amount of gear in a useable configuration.

Diane B

I have the same tripod legs as Godfrey --I have the Markins 10L but the newer lighter heads would be great. There are lots of great tripod/head combos for the cameras.

I also use a lightweight wrist strap/leash for safety only--and put it on the left side (back facing me) due to Godfrey's recommendations--it makes lens changing a lot easier without taking strap off--thus MORE safe at those times.

Again--on the bag--I carry a number of lenses with the G1 when I travel--plus the GF1 body. I use the Domke F6. Its a far cry from anything even remotely similar for my Canon 5D kit--esp. if I want to carry a backup body LOL.

Diane

See the thread Diane suggested. I am quite happy with the Acratech plate, with my small mod to allow it to seat perfectly. The battery is not blocked by the plate.

I use nothing but a small wrist-leash on my G1 and don't hang the camera on it.

Olympus' own is probably the nicest finished, but others from CameraQuest.com and vendors on Ebay all work the same.

see http://acratech.net or http://www.reallyrightstuff.com

Manfrotto 190CXpro3 legs, Markins Q3 head.

"Small" and "GH1 and 5 lenses" don't make sense in the same sentence. That's a medium size bag. For me, either bag on the lines of the Domke F6 or Billingham Hadley Pro is about the minimum that will hold that amount of gear in a useable configuration.

Last edited:
C

CalBoy87

Thank you all for help. Looks like wrist-leash will be good idea. I will check Manfrotto as well, although I like Velbon Maxi-L for its size and weight. After carrying 5D with 3 lenses, all bags GH1 and 5 micro 4/3 lenses seems small too me. Thanks again to all

Diane B

Thank you all for help. Looks like wrist-leash will be good idea. I will check Manfrotto as well, although I like Velbon Maxi-L for its size and weight. After carrying 5D with 3 lenses, all bags GH1 and 5 micro 4/3 lenses seems small too me. Thanks again to all
I know--MUCH smaller. I have 5D also and often carry it with 3. The Domke F6 is a really light bag with G1/GF1 really 5 lenses (20, 14-45, 45-200, 45 f/2.8 macro and 9-18--and sometimes the LB composer/MA-1.

Another bag that handles a number of lenses with an m4/3rds is the LowePro Sling 100 (I have the 200 for 5D kit)--I carried it one day for hiking and found it quite nice for that. I don't like a Sling for day to day or urban shooting.

Diane

lambert

Make sure you buy a GH1 with the upgraded strap lug design. See this thread for further info:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=34237138

Hi. I am about to get one (if someone knows of some great deals, welcome to share, for now B&H at 1223 USD is a champ), but I have couple of questions for those who use it. I will not using neck strap at all - too many broken rivets, holes in cam and so on. So my questions to you:
Thanks for any informative advice

C

CalBoy87

I read that thread and still am in the dark. Singapore center fixed his camera, or this is new Panasonic design? Don't think it is later, they would issue some kind of comment on this, also there should be recall, or something coming from them. Last, there is no info, how to find if the camera you got is new design, short of opening it. Whatever I will buy I assume will be old one and will not use the neck strap at all, unless proven otherwise. Thanks for pointing it out, I will keep my eye on this thread.

K

Kirby Krieger

I have little to add except to agree with the other posters who have given excellent advice, but fwiw:
. I use the Op/Tech Pro wrist strap. I like it. I also have a strap with the same connector attached to my tripod (I am perfectly capable of disengaging the camera without holding it).
. I looked long and hard at many bags and settled on the LowePro Sling 100AW for my G1 + three lenses and accessories. You could go five lenses with it, as long as one is the 20mm pancake (or = size) and none are longer than the 45-200.
There was a nice illustrated post (heh) in the DPR MFT forum showing this set-up.